Thread: My comic book company

United States

My comic book company

I hope this is the correct thread for this. I just wanted to let any comic book fans here know that my company had a nice article posted on the site comicattack.net this past weekend. I've been sort of toiling away in anonymity for well over a year now, so it was awesome to be asked by someone to run an article on my labor of love.

The link to the article: http://comicattack.net/2009/11/enterreliantpublishing/

I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate. Thanks for the indulgence!

United States
    Awesome stuff!

United States
    Yeah, DEFINITELY awesome stuff!

United States
    Thanks guys

United States
    I am curious....

I am not in the comic book industry, and although I like comic books, I havent bought any in quite a few years, unless graphic novels count. Do they still have ads in them? Do yours have ads in them, and if so, do you make a fair amount on ad revenue compared to sales revenue? I ask for two reasons, one out of pure curiousity, and two, I know some publications give free subscriptions in order to have more of a subscription base to impress advertisers. If that is the case, I would be more than willing to volunteer!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I am curious....

I am not in the comic book industry, and although I like comic books, I havent bought any in quite a few years, unless graphic novels count. Do they still have ads in them? Do yours have ads in them, and if so, do you make a fair amount on ad revenue compared to sales revenue? I ask for two reasons, one out of pure curiousity, and two, I know some publications give free subscriptions in order to have more of a subscription base to impress advertisers. If that is the case, I would be more than willing to volunteer!
    a typical marvel 24 page issue has at least 5 of the pages as adverts, once i got one that was 12 pages of ad's for marvel movies and 9 pages of story.

United States
    I am curious....

I might have one or two ads per issue, thats about it. I'm too small to attract any sort of line of advertisers. As long as I can get pre-production costs covered per issue (so it all pays for itself), then all is good. I also don't have any subscriptions, it's sold online (and soon in stores).

I'm a veteran of the newspaper business, so I know that its "normal" to lie about circulation numbers to get more money out of advertisers (which I always felt was scummy to do), but I have NEVER heard of anyone hooking up subscriptions for free...unless it was a winner of a contest or something.

United States
    Your forum doesn't like me. It insists I already have an account registered with you, which I do not.

Now...I'm curious. Do you contribute any of the art or scripting to these comics? Your site doesn't give a credits list.

Thunder City looks interesting.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Your forum doesn't like me. It insists I already have an account registered with you, which I do not.

Now...I'm curious. Do you contribute any of the art or scripting to these comics? Your site doesn't give a credits list.

Thunder City looks interesting.
    It says you are registered already? That's odd. You should still be able to see stuff on the forum, but you can only post if you're a member. If it keeps giving you troubles, let me know. If you are a member, as the Admin, I can do something about it.

I plot, draw, ink, letter, color (the covers), and maintain the website/forum, as well as act as the publisher for the titles. Whew! I get tired when I think about it all! LOL

I'm glad you think Thunder City looks interesting. I need an outlet for my inner superhero fanboy!

United States
    I'll try and register again.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I'm a veteran of the newspaper business, so I know that its "normal" to lie about circulation numbers to get more money out of advertisers (which I always felt was scummy to do), but I have NEVER heard of anyone hooking up subscriptions for free...unless it was a winner of a contest or something.
    Hmmm, I am also a veteran of the newspaper business. Already layed off once. Anyway, yeah I have seen more than once someone I know (including myself) that got a FREE subscription to a major magazine. And when I say free, I mean free, not "do this thing first THEN get a free subscription", etc. just free. Now they werent advertising "HEY JUST WRITE US AND GET A FREE SUBSCRIPTION" or anything like that, it just kinda happened. But even at the newspaper, there were/are all kinds of things that ABC says are OK to count as paid subscriptions, that seem very dubious.

Super Moderator

United States
    Man,. comic books and RPGs were my childhood; keep at it Sand! Glad to see some good attention coming your way.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Hmmm, I am also a veteran of the newspaper business. Already layed off once. Anyway, yeah I have seen more than once someone I know (including myself) that got a FREE subscription to a major magazine. And when I say free, I mean free, not "do this thing first THEN get a free subscription", etc. just free. Now they werent advertising "HEY JUST WRITE US AND GET A FREE SUBSCRIPTION" or anything like that, it just kinda happened. But even at the newspaper, there were/are all kinds of things that ABC says are OK to count as paid subscriptions, that seem very dubious.
    Yeah, I worked in the newspaper world for six years before I was laid off. It was my first "real" job I had (I started when I was 21). When I saw all of the outright lying involved about circulation numbers and how that was used to essentially overcharge the advertisers, I grew discontented fairly quick. That was my first lifes lesson about how common misinformation and lying is acceptable in the workplace. Bah.

By the way, thanks Aces!