Thread: Metal Gear Solid: RISING

United States

Metal Gear Solid: RISING

Probably my favorite thing from Microsoft's E3 presser.

United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7AHpAByUr4

Bayonetta devs + MGS universe = best action game ever?

Looks like it.

Edit: youtube mirrors keep getting nuked by Konami, I guess this wasn't supposed to premiere until tonight at the Video Game Awards.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 11-Dec-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: replaced link

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Bayonetta being the best hack and slash game yet im excite.

*god of war can eat that freudian dick it is so eager to.

England
    Not liking the look of that to be honest, Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 is one of my favourite games ever, the sequel to it wasnt all bad either until the last few sections of the game, then it all got silly after that a bit like the Resident Evil series and this trailer for Rising just looks ridiculous!

United States
    Downloaded the demo.

It doesn't seem like a terrible game. In the demo, many of the enemies are robotic. I can only assume that's the theme for the whole game. Since your a cyborg ninja. I have plans on getting this but may wait until it drops to 40ish dollars before doing so.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 25-Feb-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: .........

Undisclosed
    Yes, the enemies are cyborgs and mechs. So far, all of them. Rented it from Gamefly. Kind of reminds me of Devil May Cry.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Yes, the enemies are cyborgs and mechs. So far, all of them. Rented it from Gamefly. Kind of reminds me of Devil May Cry.
    When you finish it...take note oh about how long it is....start to finish. I'm interested to know if it's rather short or not so much. Thanks.

England
    So is it more cut scene than gameplay? They seemed to go down that route after Metal Gear Solid, you'd get 5 minutes of gameplay then have to sit through a 15 minute cut scene! Shame because Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 was a brilliant game, I played the crap out of that one back in '98/'99

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    So is it more cut scene than gameplay? They seemed to go down that route after Metal Gear Solid, you'd get 5 minutes of gameplay then have to sit through a 15 minute cut scene! Shame because Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 was a brilliant game, I played the crap out of that one back in '98/'99
    I had heard this about MGS4 but haven't ever known for myself since I've never played it. After playing the demo, I was going to watch the cut scenes of MGS4 on youtube so I could get the storyline but noticed that there are 5 HOURS worth. The other games didn't really bother me because I love a great storyline.

MGS4 is the only one of the series that I haven't played.(Besides Rising) I've almost bought a ps3 just so I could play it but I keep holding out for a possible 360 port but at this point....really doubt that's ever gonna happen.

I beat MGS1 probably 15-20 times back in the day and have 6 or 7 runs on both MGS2&3.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 26-Feb-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: ....

United States
    I made this thread nearly 3 years ago, just goes to show the fascinating development process this game went through!

When it was handed off to Platinum Games, they had a year to have the story completely re-written and fix what was essentially a broken game. While not quite as good as Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden Black, what they produced is nothing short of amazing imo, and easily outshines games like DmC and God Of War.

As far as game length, your "Game Complete" tally at the end of the game doesn't take cinematics, continues and restarts into consideration. Only your best time through each level. That said, it should take most between 8-10 hours to complete the game. It's also worth noting that there are quite a few unlockables, and the game is intended to be played through at higher difficulties.

I will say that I'm on the last boss, and it's like a damn brick wall in front of me. Thankfully I like a challenge, and the other bosses in the game don't disappoint. It's nice that most of them are humanoid-esque as well, I prefer them over huge mechs or giant monsters.

Also, check out this pussy magnet that came with the LE:

Overall I'd highly recommend it, but that's coming from a Platinum fanboy. Still though, slicing up wave after wave of enemies into little bits while ripping their spines out for health are what videogames are all about, right?

Undisclosed
    There are cut scenes, but nothing like MGS 4, from what I have been told. I own MGS 4, but never played it. I bought it new for $10 on a Black Friday years ago, in fact, it is still sealed in plastic wrap. In the newest game, you can upgrade weapons, health, etc. Plently of humor and violence. Touch-in-cheek for a MG game, but it is not a negative issue, either.