Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little bit more on "The Mist"

Administrator

England

A little bit more on "The Mist"

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know what The Mist is about but they have a picture with the kid that was in Major Payne and Angus all grown up (he's got the blood on his hand).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i bought the dark tower series just before christmas and since then ive been on a total literary king binge, ive read, the green mile, the stand, christine, carrie, misery, the bachman books, dolores clairborne ,cell and just bought everythings eventual, what of his books is the mist in, bag of bones?
    i know the story and i heard that romero was directing it, sounds pretty cool, they should get bruce cambell to star in it.

also i just bought from forbidden planet the 1st issue of the dark tower comic by marvel, and its awesome.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    they should get bruce cambell to star in it.
    No, we want basically unknowns IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    "The Mist" was from the book of short stories called "Skeleton Crew". It was the longest story in the book, and probably worth the price of the book alone.

The Mist has always been one of my favorite King stories, but I'm not sure how the movie will turn out.

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King (i've read almost every book he's ever written), but my experience with his books-to-movies and such is this: if he's not directly involved in the making of the movie - not just a cameo or anything, but we're talking directing or writing the screenplay - then usually the adapations of his movies suck horribly.

Y'know, I used to have an audio book of The Mist recorded in what they called "3D sound" (in other words, they did a lot of panning and fading of the audio during the story) - it was abridged, but it was still a kick-ass audio book too.

My fingers are crossed this movie does the story justice, but we shall see.

LC

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    y'know i only got into king recently and you would think being a romero fan that the stand would be my favourite, but in fact, aside from the dark tower seires, which i frimly believe is better than the lord of the rings and harry potter series christine is my favourite so far, though maybe thats cus a freind i know just got his first car and has been acting different since he got it...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    y'know i only got into king recently and you would think being a romero fan that the stand would be my favourite, but in fact, aside from the dark tower seires, which i frimly believe is better than the lord of the rings and harry potter series christine is my favourite so far, though maybe thats cus a freind i know just got his first car and has been acting different since he got it...

Ooops! Ignore! Misread your post!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Undisclosed
    Holy ****, I remember reading that someone had bought the rights to this and I can't remember if it was on the internet in the 90s or a ****ing magazine in the 80s, it was that long ago!

This is probably my favorite King story, too, although I like his books a lot less than I used to. The short story collections Night Shift & Skeleton Crew seem way more imaginative than his novels. The kickoff story to Night Shift is cool too. This seems like a perfect movie for CGI. Hope they stick closely to the written word.

There was a text-based game made about this story (in the 80s), but I didn't play it. I remember looking for a download but couldn't find it and it didn't sound like fun anyway.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    "The Mist" was from the book of short stories called "Skeleton Crew". It was the longest story in the book, and probably worth the price of the book alone.
    That's where I know the title from. Could be interesting. If they are adapting a story from Skeleton Crew they should do Survivor Type. Damn, that story creeped me out.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    The Mist is from King's short story collection entitled "Skeleton Crew."

If you read it, check out the story called Survivor Type. It's about a doctor that survives a plane crash and is stranded, alone, on a deserted island. Food runs out and he begins amputating limbs and eating himself alive. Good stuff!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Hooligan View Post
    The Mist is from King's short story collection entitled "Skeleton Crew."

If you read it, check out the story called Survivor Type. It's about a doctor that survives a plane crash and is stranded, alone, on a deserted island. Food runs out and he begins amputating limbs and eating himself alive. Good stuff!
    I don't remember that story! I have the book! The one I most remember was the first story in the book which is told the story of a sort of haunted house by letters?
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Someone mentioned Romero directing the mist... uhhh NO! Shawshank Redemption and Green Miles Frank Darabont is helming the project and it is already filming. You know how I know this will be a great film?

Anything of Stephen King's that Frank Darabont has touched has been perfect gold. The Green Miles was 90% exactly as the book, and The Shawshank Redemption was almost dead on.

I read The Mist about 15 years ago and I loved it. The Mist in book form is a real page turner, you can't put it down even for a second. With Darabont in the directors chair this movies going to stomp all kinds of ass.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I read The Mist about 15 years ago and I loved it. The Mist in book form is a real page turner, you can't put it down even for a second. With Darabont in the directors chair this movies going to stomp all kinds of ass.
    I have a copy (mp3) of it in radio play format, and that was very good!

I found this article somewhat ironic given I'd just visited this thread before...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6402493.stm
    Last edited by Neil; 28-Feb-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Someone mentioned Romero directing the mist... uhhh NO! Shawshank Redemption and Green Miles Frank Darabont is helming the project and it is already filming. You know how I know this will be a great film?

Anything of Stephen King's that Frank Darabont has touched has been perfect gold. The Green Miles was 90% exactly as the book, and The Shawshank Redemption was almost dead on.
    it said till recently on wikipedia romero was behind it, but if the green miles director is doing it i think he will do a better job cus that film was fantastic, plus the mist inspired silent hill, so that just makes me wanna see it more