Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air powered car... At last!

Administrator

England

Air powered car... At last!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Very interesting! The big question for a car like that is what kind of range it gets. Although it certainly oughta be easier to set up the infrastructure for air-pumping stations than, say, hydrogen filling stations. You could run the whole system on nuclear and renewable energy sources, since the only input you'd need at the pump is electricity. And it avoids the weight, expense, and nasty chemicals involved with batteries, which are the weak link with electric cars.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Very interesting! The big question for a car like that is what kind of range it gets. Although it certainly oughta be easier to set up the infrastructure for air-pumping stations than, say, hydrogen filling stations. You could run the whole system on nuclear and renewable energy sources, since the only input you'd need at the pump is electricity. And it avoids the weight, expense, and nasty chemicals involved with batteries, which are the weak link with electric cars.
    With just air it varies on use, urban or non-urban. Also, with the use of petrol to augment the process the distance vastly increases.

Imaging doing 1,500km with just 2ltr of fuel!!! (non-urban)

For me, poodling to work (urban) I'd just plug it in once/twice a week to fill/compress it up, but use no petrol...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    But you know what the really burning question this raises is?

When will there be an air powered TV?!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But you know what the really burning question this raises is?

When will there be an air powered TV?!
    OK! Ghey08 has melted your brain!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OK! Ghey08 has melted your brain!
    Well, yes it has actually ... but it was kind of a reference to Zombie Man.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah when is Zombie Man going to get his air powered TV?

On topic,

that is one Fugly looking car. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in that thing.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 13-Feb-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Yeah when is Zombie Man going to get his air powered TV?

On topic,

that is one Fugly looking car. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in that thing.
    Yup, not very attractive, but TBH considering how green it is and how cheep it is to run, I don't really car that it's ugly... It's air powered, how cool is that... And can do 1500km with 2ltr of petrol

If it works reasonably well, it could really change things!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Mesmerizing to think of all of the alternative fuel sources available to us and yet, the big Oil companies and all of their ties just don't want it. If we could just give up our oil dependcy, imagine that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ho-ho, and I thought the G-Whiz looked bad!

Still, an air powered car is so much cooler-an-idea than the electric car.

Although, a car with no grunt to its engine just feels wrong. I was playing PGR4 and an invitational came up to race an electric car - it was totally silent - which was just wrong.

Still though, an interesting advance.

But it has to be said, that hydrogen car on Top Gear a few years back actually looked nifty too...except for the funky-future steering set-up, which was just lame.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I wouldn't care if it looked like a cardboard box on wheels, if its THAT low on emissions and cheap to run I'd go for it feet first.

I'm holding off on buying a car until I can get one that has great low emissions...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    Mesmerizing to think of all of the alternative fuel sources available to us and yet, the big Oil companies and all of their ties just don't want it. If we could just give up our oil dependcy, imagine that.
    Supposedly the developer of this air engine has received threats over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ho-ho, and I thought the G-Whiz looked bad!

Still, an air powered car is so much cooler-an-idea than the electric car.

Although, a car with no grunt to its engine just feels wrong. I was playing PGR4 and an invitational came up to race an electric car - it was totally silent - which was just wrong.

Still though, an interesting advance.

But it has to be said, that hydrogen car on Top Gear a few years back actually looked nifty too...except for the funky-future steering set-up, which was just lame.

We need a massive improvement in batteries to make electric cars viable.

Hydrogen fuel - from the little I know - just seems like madness. It takes sooo much energy to produce it? (I think!)
    Last edited by Neil; 13-Feb-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

We need a massive improvement in batteries to make electric cars viable.
    Screw batteries for electric cars. I think giant capacitors would work way better. Just a 5 minute charge takes you 300 miles.

Check out this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEstor

Super Moderator

UK
    And then of course, there's the rest of the car to think about, the actual materials that make the structure.

I still remember Clarkson putting a Prius beside a 6 litre Mercedes S-Class and asking which was more environmentally friendly - it was the 'evil' Mercedes. While not electric, the materials that made the car were recycled.

Also - think of the horrid gunk inside those batteries, that acid and all sort of chemicals. What happens to those?

I think that episode of South Park about the Prius was f*cking hilarious and well observed.

United States
    I think that this a great idea and I am sure that with enought time and research the inventor will be able to make the aircar as fast as, and as powerful as a vehicle with an ICE. Also you just know that the oil companies are going to fight anything that is an alternative to what they offer and cuts into their sales/profits especially when a company has an almost 40 billion US dollar profit(yes I said profit) like EXXON-Mobil did in 2007. Sorry I don't know what the exchange rate is for the UK or any other country.
    Where are you going to be and what are you going to do when the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes to be?