Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tip jars... in some odd places... would you tip for this?

United States

Tip jars... in some odd places... would you tip for this?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...seTipJars.aspx

This guy brings up a funny point... like at the market where he packed his own groceries and there was a tip jar... I mean if I'm doing all the work why would I tip you? When I go to this lil market in Canada the guy who's known me since I was 10 packs my groceries into my car, fills my gas tank, checks my fluids, makes sure my tires are full, and asks me out for the millionth time... I tip him and occasionally even bring him lil goodie baskets with cookies or muffins to show him hey your service means the world to me. But when I go to the Piggly Wiggly and the moron cashier puts canned goods next to my breads I wouldn't dare tip them. Matter of fact I wouldn't tip anyone at the grocery store unless they carried my stuff for me to my car but that's just because the latter part is going above and beyond the call of duty... I shouldn't have to pay someone for just simply doing their job.

There was a doctors office I went to that had a tip jar as well... I was incensed because the receptionist had to have been making at least 10-15 dollars an hour sitting on her ass being rude to people. Why would I tip her?

I was reading the phone book one time (its got some neat stuff in there!) and there were tip reccomendations that kinda irked me. For instance... the pizza delivery guy doesn't get 15-20% he gets 3 bucks for two pizzas and if you have more than two give him more but not much. I always tip on a pecenage basis so I thought that was strange.

I always try to tip the people at Starbucks but they dont have a tip jar and once the girl told me they couldn't take any. They take tips at Joe Muggs so I didn't really get it. I feel like when they're friendly and make a quality bevvy I should tip them because there was a time when I went into Arabica and the girl was yip yapping to her friend behind the counter and I was like good morning ... and all love and sweetness and she ignored me! For several minutes I stood there until I got so PO'd I called her boss who was a pal of mine to say this chick outta be fired. So I guess I could say bad service makes me tip for good service.

I dont tip when I pickup pizza for myself but I tip the Chinese take-away. I'm strange like that I dont know why.

Something that always irked me was when I'd bartend and people come up to the bar sit down order a drink and dont tip. This girl always came in and did that to me so I trained her to tip by not helping her for at least ten minutes until she told me she was going to complain to my boss. I told her to go ahead because I work for paying customers seeing as I make 2 dollars an hour. She became my best tipper...

What do you tip for and what do you refuse to tip for?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i dont tip where someone gets paid at least minimum wage. so YES i will tip waiters and bartenders and all that cuz i been there before.
    Last edited by acealive1; 11-Jul-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i never really got the whole "tips" thing, we dont do it over here, least no were iver ever been too, kind seems real lazy, sure people can allwasy use extra money but you have a job becuase you doing it for money to buy stuff, being given more jsut for being is rude in my mind, especially in hotels, wow you carried a bag, adn youll probably get a decent wage for jsut that, adn yet you expect a tenner for doing your job your allready getting paid for?

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i never really got the whole "tips" thing, we dont do it over here, least no were iver ever been too, kind seems real lazy, sure people can allwasy use extra money but you have a job becuase you doing it for money to buy stuff, being given more jsut for being is rude in my mind, especially in hotels, wow you carried a bag, adn youll probably get a decent wage for jsut that, adn yet you expect a tenner for doing your job your allready getting paid for?

true enough. the only ones i'd tip are the ones that rely on tips to break even (waiters,bartenders) cuz they dont make but about $2 an hour seriously. so those valet guys can go to hell cuz they make sick money

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think some things over in the u.s just go over-****ing-board, like as well as a waiter some u.s resurants do this "comfort technitian" or some **** were they arrive, say they refil you rink or something ,tell you that means you should leave a tip then piss off adn you dont see them again.

freind of mine who was on holiday in new engladn left a note saying "get a real ****ing job, theresa tip".

granted its probably been done dozens of times before but its still funny as fook.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't believe in tipping someone for a job that they're supposed to do in the first place unless they go above and beyond what's required of them. Like say a taxi driver drives you to your destination. Why does he deserve a tip? I can see if they loaded and unloaded my bags for me or even took them upstairs, but most cab drivers in nyc just sit on their fat asses.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    also, i give tips based on service and attitude. u dont get me at least ONE refill,u just lost a tip. some dumb ass woman lost out on a giant tip cuz she ignored us the whole time. i had just got paid and i was feeling generous.

United States
    I dont get the whole having to tip a cab driver... I mean when I take a cab and he takes me ten miles outta my way trying to run up a huge tab I'm not tipping for that! The last time that happened to me I told the guy I only had 15 bucks and he either gets a tip or turns off his meter. They also do something bizarre here... one cab company is a standard 8 dollar fare anywhere within the city... but they pick up multiple people so it can take up to 20 even 30 minutes to get to where you have to go ... thats riddick!
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I don't believe in tipping someone for a job that they're supposed to do in the first place unless they go above and beyond what's required of them. Like say a taxi driver drives you to your destination. Why does he deserve a tip? I can see if they loaded and unloaded my bags for me or even took them upstairs, but most cab drivers in nyc just sit on their fat asses.

i couldnt tip a cab driver.they make **** loads. i tip people who bust their ass for pennies. like the waiters at pizza hut.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    true enough. the only ones i'd tip are the ones that rely on tips to break even (waiters,bartenders) cuz they dont make but about $2 an hour seriously. so those valet guys can go to hell cuz they make sick money
    Ugh I HATED being a waiter >

2 bucks nothing... we used to LIVE off the tips.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I dont get the whole having to tip a cab driver... I mean when I take a cab and he takes me ten miles outta my way trying to run up a huge tab I'm not tipping for that! The last time that happened to me I told the guy I only had 15 bucks and he either gets a tip or turns off his meter. They also do something bizarre here... one cab company is a standard 8 dollar fare anywhere within the city... but they pick up multiple people so it can take up to 20 even 30 minutes to get to where you have to go ... thats riddick!

where is this cab company? cuz i got charged $7 friggin dollars for a 2 minute ride. on MY dime and my friends just sat in the cab and didnt even offer to pay me for the ride so far when they had to go further

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i think some things over in the u.s just go over-****ing-board, like as well as a waiter some u.s resurants do this "comfort technitian" or some **** were they arrive, say they refil you rink or something ,tell you that means you should leave a tip then piss off adn you dont see them again.

freind of mine who was on holiday in new engladn left a note saying "get a real ****ing job, theresa tip".

granted its probably been done dozens of times before but its still funny as fook.
    Thats cool, thats why we spit in your food when you're not looking

Meh, I tip, and I over tip the only time i don't tip is if the person is giving me a serious attitude. When you tip generously and over tip they remember you and it comes back to you later, I promise. So remember that.
    Last edited by Khardis; 11-Jul-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    In nyc we have zoning prices for cab companies. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 blocks away, as long as it falls in that zone they'll charge you the same price. I also get very agitated when they take a while picking other people up. First off i'm taking a cab because i really have to get somewhere, otherwise i'd take the train or bus. Second, i'm paying for you to get me there in a timely fashion.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Its true when you over tip it can bite you in the ass. After a point the service starts to slack

thanks for the tip about nyc cabs i'll remember that next time
    Last edited by MissJacksonCA; 11-Jul-2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Its true when you over tip it can bite you in the ass. After a point the service starts to slack
    Totally untrue. They remember you, and they perk up when you repeat business, **** then they all star tto fight over you to serve you. Its people who don't tip or tip poorly who get the crap service when they come back or get the loogie.

I speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    In nyc we have zoning prices for cab companies. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 blocks away, as long as it falls in that zone they'll charge you the same price. I also get very agitated when they take a while picking other people up. First off i'm taking a cab because i really have to get somewhere, otherwise i'd take the train or bus. Second, i'm paying for you to get me there in a timely fashion.
    Why take a cab though? They are just tourist traps in NYC, the subway is the way to go. Is it economical enough for you to buy a metro pass? I live close to NYC and go almost every week, so I just buy the metro card and I save a lot on NYC travel expenses.
    Last edited by Khardis; 11-Jul-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost