Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tip jars... in some odd places... would you tip for this?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    13% of the bill. thats what I always do
    According to the average i belive that's generous. I think it's around 8-10%. However i don't work in that industry so i wouldn't really know but it sounds about right. I would give more or less based on the service i get at that visit. I don't really set a number.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    According to the average i belive that's generous. I think it's around 8-10%. However i don't work in that industry so i wouldn't really know but it sounds about right. I would give more or less based on the service i get at that visit. I don't really set a number.
    Nope.
    Its supposed to be 15%. I guess your a sh*tty tipper there Darth
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Nope.
    15% at the least.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nope.
    I guess i am. I honestly didn't know what the going rate was.

I usually don't eat out and with that kfc/taco bell rat scandal it looks like i won't be for a good long while.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    dud so it turns our im a cheap ass

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    15% at the least.
    Word to big bird. Me, Im 20% all the way. You gots to have class

If you guys who are cheap get crap service dont wonder why

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i don't see how vindictive service is going to get them more money anyway. Like i said, you get tipped based on the service. If i feel you went above and beyond the call of duty to give me a pleasant experience than i will tip accordingly, but no one is "entitled" to a good tip.

United States
    i don't see how vindictive service is going to get them more money anyway. Like i said, you get tipped based on the service. If i feel you went above and beyond the call of duty to give me a pleasant experience than i will tip accordingly, but no one is "entitled" to a good tip.
    A fair tip is what they are entitled to and 8 percent aint it. **** tippers tip **** no matter how good you are

If you go to a place more than once and you are a stiff I am not going to care if you like it or not/ I work for money and if you dont pay me I am not a slave and thats all their is to it. People who have worked at jobs like that feel the same way. And thats not "vindictive service" it means you are going to have to call me if you want something, I am not going to check and I am not filling your drink and I will stop and chat to my buddy first./ There is a connection between cheapskates, pushy attitude and rudeness. If you wanna be a dick PAY ME, if not hit the bricks. (thats the hypothetical you), but Darth if you had a job like that you would know EXACTLY what Im talking about.

People who tip good
    Waiters/Bartender )biggest tips)
    Cops and Fireman
    Construction Workers or electricians etc
    Pimps (yup!)

Bad tips
    Politicians (like Mike Bloomberg who is a total DICK)
    Younger people (Not kids I mean)
    Rich guys with trophy girlfriends
    Anybody who calls you by saying "Yo! C'mere"
    French People
    And more

There are, of course, exceptions

When you first start doing that work older servers warn you who tips bad and you dont believe them but sure enough, like clockwork, they are dead on. I worked in Bars, Restaurants etc in various jobs for over 10 years and its weird how people stereotype themselves and dont even know it
    Last edited by coma; 12-Jul-2007 at 02:48 AM.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Bad tips

Anybody who calls you by saying "Yo! C'mere"
    i dont know why but i find that very,very funny, don vito funny.

United States
    I think its a geographical thing how much you're going to get on average. For instance in California I could get a hundred dollar tip for a single glass of wine served. A good lot of people I knew in the food and bev there would pull in on average in a good weekend a thousand dollars. Which is how it was such a scam where my mom waited tables at this country club. They'd charge all their guests an automatic 20% tip on everything they ordered in the bar/dining room/lounge but the servers never got that tip. What they got was $9.50 an hour or $10.50 an hour if they were ontime every day for work and never called out. If you worked for the Ritz Carlton you could even make a mean living just offa reffering people to work there because they'd pay you money everytime someone you refferred got hired and actually stayed to work there.

In Charleston its obscene how little money you make on tips. I expected to make at the very least 15% of my total sales daily. I set the bar too high because I would wind up making 5-10% of my total sales in tips. And that's before my 3-5% tip out. I never would've imagined people would tip so badly ...not to mention that people would literally give you two cents or nothing at all. There was a time when I thought a person in the cocktail lounge was being rude when they would ask a customer if they wanted their dollar and thirty-six cents change back on their forty-five dollar tab until I realized hell thats the only way to make a buck.

I remember one of my last days at work the owner of the restaurant comped food for a table I had... he was sitting nearby and he heard them complaining every ten seconds about one thing or another. First they wanted to buy drinks in the bar on happy hour and bring them to my table. I said no you can't do that AND the drinks you want aren't available on happy hour. Then they wanted happy hour food prices and couldn't understand why it wasn't available in the dining room. Gee maybe because its a bar and this is the dining room. Then they kept sending drinks back and changing their order. I got so pissed off I had to go into the walk-in to scream for five minutes. As if that wasn't bad enough my boss came up to me and said the owner was paying for their entire bill... It was over a hundred dollars... I was like WTF is he paying the bill for? They're trying to bitch up a storm to get **** for free or disconted and they're not going to tip me. I treated them like gold. I treated everyone like gold. I told them their check was taken care of and they wanted to know who paid and I was told I couldn't say so I didnt and told them to have a wonderful evening and how sorry we were for all the problems they had and to come see us again. They didn't leave me a dime. Or a penny. Not a ****ing nickel. I told my boss who was like no way? And I was like yeah ya douche I told you they were trash. He called the owner to tell him they left me nothing and he was like no way too. The next day he came in to talk to me and actually asked me if I was seriously telling the truth... I was like ya Brett... I paid 6 dollars for them to eat here and take up my booth for two hours. He gave me twenty bucks and I gave him a death glance. It was one of many times I lost my faith in humanity. Working in food and beverage is something like being a bum on the street. You basically have to rely on the kindness of strangers and eventually you find out people just aren't that giving.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Canada
    I usually always tip when eating out or having a drink at the bar,
    if the waitress is slow and rude, or the bartender takes his time,
    I may leave them 25 cents
    But I don't mind tipping waitresses and waiters,
    cause I know how hard it is. Most people think,
    bah, all you do is carry drinks and serves. Not so,
    we have to deal with rude people, arrogance,
    fall down drunks who want to fight cause they think
    you looked at them the wrong way. So I kinda know the
    struggles the servers in bars and restuarants have. I've
    never tipped at a grocery store and most gas stations around
    here is self serve, so why should I tip the attendant when I
    did all the work

United States
    Thats true rusty. Its actually a very , very hard job that looks easy if you MAKE it look easy.
    You're supossed to tip at least 15% everywhere in the US and if you're a skinflint you get less. You have to run constantly, get abused and often for free because you get stiffed. People insult you for absolutely no reason and repeatedly and you're supposed to just eat it.
    Also tips get split with Waiter, Busboy, Hostess, Chef (sometimes) and bartender. If you liked everything but the waiter then you stiff the guy who made you the good for for example. Or the food wasnt great but the waitress was good and you stiff her thats wrong being that the chef gets the smallest percentage.

There are some stories of the 1000 dollar a night but that is extremely rare. Usually its just OK pay. Occasionally when I Bartended I may make 150 or so a night but there are also 20 dollar shifts so it evens out to just OK.

I have also had the "house steals the tips" scam. And sometimes the Maitre D steals tips too.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers