Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: back to the future 1,2,3...

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm hoping the remake craze is waning now, there's been so many and almost all have been not a patch on the original (although I still maintain that the Hills Have Eyes remake was quality, I really enjoyed it and it gave me a few good jolts, ... the sequel remake was utter tosh though).

Hopefully this new 3-D thing will kick in and we'll see more people trying to pimp 3-D versions of old films, rather than remakes of old films...films which aren't old, because even 20-somethings can remember watching them as a mere kiddywink!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    imagine how many people would get siezures viewing the hologram jaws in 3d

Super Moderator

UK
    I had a freaking dream last night that BTTF was getting remade with David Freaking Hasslehoff as some army general type bloke seeking Kurt Russell as a middle aged Marty in our present day to go back in time and stop something...ah mate it gave me the creeps!

As for the DeLorean coming back cold - it does so twice in the film, not once. The first test, and then when he gets back to 1985...in fact it's probably a bit cold in the barn as well, so that's thrice...but after that in 2 and 3 it doesn't do it anymore I don't think.

As for people saying it's Marty that is that tiny little black wiggle in the background, that's gotta be bollocks, it doesn't make any sense. When Marty sees Doc get shot (at the end of the film) he's standing by the Lone Pine Mall sign, this phantom blob is way off to the right and forward a bit of Marty's actual position in the film at that moment (he sees Doc get shot from behind, from the Lone Pine Mall sign).

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...methinks it was just some goofball in back, or it could have been anything, it's barely noticeable whatsoever, ergo - not noticeable enough for people to see it as something the filmmaker's intended...then also, the geography of the situation is all wrong...therefore - that brief blob of shadow is not Marty #2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I had a freaking dream last night that BTTF was getting remade with David Freaking Hasslehoff as some army general type bloke seeking Kurt Russell as a middle aged Marty in our present day to go back in time and stop something...ah mate it gave me the creeps!
    to you happen to partace of some cocaine before you rested your head good sir?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    to you happen to partace of some cocaine before you rested your head good sir?
    No, I watched the first episode of Dexter instead.

(Downloading them all, missed the start on FX, so now I'm catching up with downloads you see, saw the first episode last night and it rocked.)

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As for people saying it's Marty that is that tiny little black wiggle in the background, that's gotta be bollocks, it doesn't make any sense. When Marty sees Doc get shot (at the end of the film) he's standing by the Lone Pine Mall sign, this phantom blob is way off to the right and forward a bit of Marty's actual position in the film at that moment (he sees Doc get shot from behind, from the Lone Pine Mall sign).

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...methinks it was just some goofball in back, or it could have been anything, it's barely noticeable whatsoever, ergo - not noticeable enough for people to see it as something the filmmaker's intended...then also, the geography of the situation is all wrong...therefore - that brief blob of shadow is not Marty #2.
    Right, there's a 90 degree difference between approaches. These two switched timelines because they interacted differently in the 50's (e.g., Twin Pines Mall for #2, Lone Pine Mall for #1) so it's probable that the differences carried over to the future and resulted in different approaches to the mall based on how they left the 50s.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 18-Jul-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Right, there's a 90 degree difference between approaches. These two switched timelines because they interacted differently in the 50's (e.g., Twin Pines Mall for #2, Lone Pine Mall for #1) so it's probable that the differences carried over to the future and resulted in different approaches to the mall based on how they left the 50s.
    That doesn't make a shred of sense whatsoever. He left the 1950's once in the first film to return to 1985, and he turns up at the mall at the same geographical point as he did at the beginning of the film before they even started meddling with time, at the same area around that same sign (which only changes slightly - more of a localised event, rather than have any wider resonance). It's like what Doc was saying in BTTF2 about them sorting out 1985"A" and how everything would change "around" Jennifer and Einstein - thus having no impact on them themselves, and therefore any choices they might make - so the same theory would carry over to two Marty's at the mall - besides, the sign is situated behind the truck, thus providing relative concealment...

I will say one thing, the DeLorean does come back cold in BTTF2, both when they arrive in 2015, but also in 1955...didn't really happen when they arrived in 1985"A"...but there weren't any external shots there.

Can't remember whether the same happens in BTTF3, I don't remember there being the cold when he arrives in 1885 nor when he returns to 1985 and is on the train tracks...hmmm...*taps chin*

Currently an hour into BTTF2, so I'll soon find out I guess.

Christmas Island
    Sorry for the crappy paint diagram but hopefully this will make what I'm trying to say a little clearer:

Timeline A is the unaltered timeline that goes back to the beginning of time. Marty #2 originates from Sub-Timeline B but lives out the rest of his days in Timeline A, Marty #1 stays in Sub-Timeline B. There are other sub-timelines, Biff's but that's temporary, and the one that's created from 1885 and connects to the junction point of 1955.

Crazy huh? Anyways people, give it some thought maybe I'm missing something.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 18-Jul-2007 at 03:14 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dude....I went back and looked. It's not Marty at the mall. I think you're stretching here, man...

Christmas Island
    Open to interpretation. Unless Zemeckis or Gale say otherwise, could be anybody's guess as to who or what it is. I lean in the Marty 2 direction as it provokes some interesting ideas and we do see duplicates so it's not too far-fetched.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it's way too far fetched having seen this shot of a vague blob that is loosely possible in being a human being.

1) The area of movement is incredibly far away and not illuminated whatsoever

2) It's completely inconsistent with Marty re-viewing events from a second viewpoint (including seeing himself take off in the DeLorean) - that is the second and only second Marty in the film because it's clearly flagged up.

3) Repeatedly throughout the series of films, if there's someone lurking in the background who you didn't see the first time whatever events you're viewing played out, they are flagged up to show you exactly them being there.

It's a vague blob/shift in a shadow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into the distance in a very tight viewing window (between Doc and the truck), it's also so incredibly brief that it's almost 100% un-noticeable. The viewer attention is exclusively focussed on Doc getting shot, there's no wide gap behind him to open that area up, there's no illumination to highlight that area either.

Ergo, it's completely false.

At the mall there are at most only two Marty's at any one time - and it only happens once. The Marty from the beginning of the film escaping the Libyans, and the Marty from the end of the film by the mall's sign.

If something was going on, it would have been flagged like at other times throughout the trilogy, character cross-overs from different time periods are of key focus in BTTF2, this was shown as well at the end of the first film with Marty viewing from the sign the events from the beginning of the film.

It's pretty clear, and the two Bob's have said nothing about a blob in the way far off distance because they don't even see it there - and as the writers of the film, if it was actually part of the film, it would have both been in the script and have been discussed/documented previously.

*dusts hands, saunters off to dinner*

Christmas Island
    You win

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to...uture_timeline

"Because of this, events from later timelines do not make their way backward into previous ones; for example, Bob Zemeckis has specifically denied the presence of a second Marty at Twin Pines Mall in Timeline 1."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    You win

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to...uture_timeline

"Because of this, events from later timelines do not make their way backward into previous ones; for example, Bob Zemeckis has specifically denied the presence of a second Marty at Twin Pines Mall in Timeline 1."
    I guess you're not the first one to notice this. Don't worry, i liked your diagram anyway.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I guess you're not the first one to notice this. Don't worry, i liked your diagram anyway.
    Thanks

Super Moderator

UK
    *runs around like a champion in slow motion, muahahaha, I pwned Maximus!!!*

Only joking ... just got passionate about it while discussing. I love these movies so much and got my nerd on earlier today.

That timeline diagram on wiki makes sense to me, I was trying to explain my view of events as best I could, but my brain gets all squishy with this time travel talk, lol.

Essentially, it seems to be of the school of thought that time must first unravel in a certain way, like having to wait for the first test of the DeLorean to happen, then it all kicks off and people go back and forth...rather than one single timeline, it's like new timelines that are very similar to the ones preceding them (except 1985A) stacking up on top of each other as the new 'one & only' version ... sorta thing...

Ah mate it bends my mind, that and the expansive size of the universe...ah dude...