Thread: quantum entanglement...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

quantum entanglement...

set your brains to frizzle fry.

quantum entanglement has been a known fact for quite some time. the gist is two particles can become "entangled." this means that whatever effects one instantaneously effects the other-without any information (or anything else for that matter) passing between the two. distance has no bearing on this. it works at 10 feet, 10,000 miles or from one side of the galaxy to another. einstein was very spooked by it. it is possible to create naturally entangled particles in the lab (see the book "the god effect" by brian clegg) which opens a whole realm of tech applications- for instance, computers that could do so many tasks/calculations per second that they would make the most advanced supercomputers in the world look like commodore 64s and radios that could communicate across any distance without a time lag. well new research suggest that entanglement functions on much larger scales than ever before. here is the article from new scientist:

http://www.biophysica.com/quantum.htm
    Last edited by Mike70; 29-Nov-2007 at 01:35 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    set your brains to frizzle fry.

quantum entanglement has been a known fact for quite some time. the gist is two particles can become "entangled." this means that whatever effects one instantaneously effects the other-without any information (or anything else for that matter) passing between the two. distance has no bearing on this. it works at 10 feet, 10,000 miles or from one side of the galaxy to another. einstein was very spooked by it. it is possible to create naturally entangled particles in the lab (see the book "the god effect" by brian clegg) which opens a whole realm of tech applications- for instance, computers that could do so many tasks/calculations per second that they would make the most advanced supercomputers in the world look like commodore 64s and radios that could communicate across any distance without a time lag. well new research suggest that entanglement functions on much larger scales than ever before. here is the article from new scientist:

http://www.biophysica.com/quantum.htm
    Shame the hyperthetical example of the entangled pair and either side of the Universe is nothing more than that... ie: The particals have to become entangled by the two being next to each other to start off with, so you'd then have to 'move' them to the ends of the Universe which of course is rather difficult

None-the-less I can understand why it is considered 'spooky'...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Shame the hyperthetical example of the entangled pair and either side of the Universe is nothing more than that... ie: The particals have to become entangled by the two being next to each other to start off with, so you'd then have to 'move' them to the ends of the Universe which of course is rather difficult

None-the-less I can understand why it is considered 'spooky'...
    Well kind of... they can now entangle particles via teleportation. It is a component of the quantum computers in development.

Super Moderator

United States
    That was a cool article! I know so little about this end of science and your summary was actually quite helpful and interesting.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I own that book and have read it. The theory is spooky, but the things that could be accomplished through quantum entanglement is phenomenal.

Have any of you seen Southland Tales? It actually uses quantum entanglement in the story line.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    I own that book and have read it. The theory is spooky, but the things that could be accomplished through quantum entanglement is phenomenal.
    i think the spookiest thing in the book is the fact that a radio capable of instantaneous transmission would be capable, under certain circumstances, of actually sending a message that travelled backwards in time.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."