Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History Channel: Battle For the Pacific (XBox360)

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    rock star shoulda jumped on this. imagine mowing down germans with an AK while riding in a willy's jeep

all the while ur blaring benny goodman LOL
    I'm scared, I was listening to Benny Goodman right before I read this.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'm scared, I was listening to Benny Goodman right before I read this.

he's got some good stuff doesn't he?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    since its on topic i thought some of you might find this interesting, gabe from penny arcade interviewing his grandfather about his time in WWII and what he thinks of these games.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Super Moderator

UK
    As COD games go, COD3 isn't like the other two, because it wasn't made by Infinity Ward, or they were at most initially involved in it until they decided to work on Modern Warfare, hence COD3 being the less talented sibling of the COD family I guess - or so I've heard.

I think I'd enjoy it, but I'm not expecting COD2 WW2 "woah-ness", nor the excellence of COD4.

It's like £13 in GameStation pre-owned now, so I'll nab a copy. I also wanna check out Airborne.

*additional*

Just checked out a cover of Airborne online, see what you mean by that pic...but I duno, picture isn't too clear...is that even in the game? Sometimes a screenshot will appear on the box, but not in the game...weird, but sometimes happens. Hmmm...I don't think it'd be a super soldier or anything out of the ordinary, they couldn't get away with that sort of thing when they're touting realism and realistic drama.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Dec-2007 at 08:10 PM.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Just checked out a cover of Airborne online, see what you mean by that pic...but I duno, picture isn't too clear...is that even in the game? Sometimes a screenshot will appear on the box, but not in the game...weird, but sometimes happens. Hmmm...I don't think it'd be a super soldier or anything out of the ordinary, they couldn't get away with that sort of thing when they're touting realism and realistic drama.
    Most bigger budget games that tout realism are full of bull. It's only the lesser known war games that you will find the best realism and authenticity, because true realism doesn't appeal to the mass market, hence why CoD and MoH are the most popular.

Just found these pics which petty much confirms my point about MOH:A:

(according to the page I found the second picture on that super-soldier took 6 grenades to kill... )
    Last edited by Craig; 08-Dec-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    well if that's what Airborne is like, it's unlike COD. While the injury threshold is obviously well above real life, it certainly is not on "Veteran" mode.

Did it say what difficulty setting that 6 'nader was on? Also, did it specify how close the 'nades the guy was?

I still don't understand your hatred of COD...

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    well if that's what Airborne is like, it's unlike COD. While the injury threshold is obviously well above real life, it certainly is not on "Veteran" mode.

Did it say what difficulty setting that 6 'nader was on? Also, did it specify how close the 'nades the guy was?

I still don't understand your hatred of COD...
    Well the fact that they have enemies that look like that, despite how hard they are to kill, should prove my point that it's unrealistic.

I liked CoD 2 for what it was at the time, but when you see the tech they've got nowadays and they still insist on bringing out the same old cliched WWII shooters it's just annoying. I guess MOH: A is sort of step back even looking at those screenshots. I'll admit it as well, I'm a WWII addict, and if only game companies would step out of their 'safety zone' of doing the same old WWII shooters and try something more realistic and less Hollywood then I might be less critical.

I don't even think it's because Red Orchestra is too good for me to like any other WWII FPS, I mean it has a lot of flaws, but it's still better than any other I've played. I'm just glad they won the UT3 engine and hopefully they'll stick with WWII.

Super Moderator

UK
    Are you sure that super soldier guy isn't part of the multiplayer? I wouldn't know, haven't played Airborne yet.

But of course, with COD2 it came out and got out of WW2 before it out-stayed it's welcome (COD via Infinity Ward I mean, the true COD).

The fact however, that these are videogames, do restrict the games in certain respects of realism - the health issue is one example.

In what way do you think WW2 shooters are not realistic enough, bearing in mind they're videogames based on reality, if I'm making sense.

How would you make a game "more realistic and less Hollywood"?