Thread: Anyone else heard that Gerard Butler might be the new conan?

Administrator

England

Anyone else heard that Gerard Butler might be the new conan?

There's talk of John McTiernan directing and Gerard Butler starring... God, he'd have to beef up a bit, but it could be interesting!

How on earth could it compete with the original though?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seems like this guy's name is attached to everything ever since the *dull* 300....

And last I heard....isn't Mctiernan facing jail time for fraud and invasion of privacy, or something like that?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Seems like this guy's name is attached to everything ever since the *dull* 300....

And last I heard....isn't Mctiernan facing jail time for fraud and invasion of privacy, or something like that?
    Well, since *great* 300, his name has been linked to 'Escape From New York' and now 'Conan'... Could be this generation's action hero now!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, since *great* 300, his name has been linked to 'Escape From New York' and now 'Conan'... Could be this generation's action hero now!!
    Oh come on, Neil. 300 looked great but that's it. There was no substance to it...no feeling. We had no reason to care for the soldiers. Oh wait...he had sex with his wife.....I guess that means we should care about their relationship.

Anyway, I trust McTiernan.

Undisclosed
    I enjoyed 300...Mindless...yes...pointless...yes...historica lly accurate...NO...who cares...I like it more than Land...Gasp! I think he will make a fine action hero. Conan...err...maybe not...I love the original! And don't get me started on the Destroyer...yuck!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Oh come on, Neil. 300 looked great but that's it. There was no substance to it...no feeling. We had no reason to care for the soldiers. Oh wait...he had sex with his wife.....I guess that means we should care about their relationship.

Anyway, I trust McTiernan.

Well, I enjoyed it alot so nyer!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    300 was awesome. End of story. It was better than Ghostbusters!!!

not really. . . just thought Bassman would like that. but it is a good movie.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    300 was awesome. End of story. It was better than Ghostbusters!!!

not really. . . just thought Bassman would like that. but it is a good movie.
    Do you wish to die?

I know a lot of people like it. It's visually enjoyable, but after that, there's nothing else to it. It's as easy to throw away as Snyder's first directorial effort, imo.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a thread about 300, but Butler as Conan - I just don't see it. Mctiernan - good director, so hopefully he knows what he's doing.

England
    You can't remake Conan!

FFS, we are talking about the best movie Arrrnahld ever stared in here, one of my all time fave movies is Conan.

James Earl Jones is great as the bad guy "Thulsa Doom" as well.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    I don't think it would be a remake, so much as just another Conan movie. I think he might be okay if he bulks up. . . A LOT. But Arnold was born for that part. No one could ever be better.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."