Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Consoles vs PC - what do you think?

United States
    If I were starting off with neither one, I'd get console. Just plug-and-play. It's too much pain in the ass to hunt down and install all the things needed to outfit the computer for gaming.

Canada
    i've allready stated my dislike for fps controls on the pc in a previous thread, it's a pain in the ass to use a keyboard, camepads are much easier to use. Mouse aiming is a hell of alot easier, thats a given, but i still hate using the keyboard to move around. It is much easier to interact with the enviroment and move using an analogue stick then to push a f'ing button.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i concur, keyboards should add a analogue stick for gameing.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    PCs for FPS and RTS games.

Consoles for platformers and racing.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    CONSOLES!!!

PC's are FAR too expensive to keep up with gaming. You can spend thousands on your machine in order to be playing flawlessly, then 6 months later you'll need to upgrade. 2-3 years later your machine won't even be able to play some of the newest games coming out and you'll need to put shloads more cash into it.

United States
    Claiming that you have to spend "thousands" on a PC to game is really exaggerating. Honestly, $1,000 to $1,500 can get you a top of the line machine if you know where to buy from.

I bought my girl a gaming rig for under a thousand and it still plays all of the newest games a year later. You just need to have a little know-how on computer specs and get good stuff.

United States
    Still, if you're in it for the games, spending $300 for a console that is guaranteed at least 5 years of support is a much better value than a $1500 PC which will only play the latest games at high settings for 2 years MAX. And like I said before, consoles are where all the games are at. Starcraft 2 is the only notable PC game coming out in 2008 that I can think of.

If PC games offered anything other than better graphics (like the Wii's motion sensing remote), I could see dropping the dough to upgrade, but it doesn't. There's nothing unique about PC games, other than the newest and best graphics.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Claiming that you have to spend "thousands" on a PC to game is really exaggerating. Honestly, $1,000 to $1,500 can get you a top of the line machine if you know where to buy from.

I bought my girl a gaming rig for under a thousand and it still plays all of the newest games a year later. You just need to have a little know-how on computer specs and get good stuff.
    Right. $1,500 on a top-of-the-line machine that won't be top-of-the-line within 6-8 months. I dunno, I can hardly afford getting a new console every 4-6 years... PC gaming is just far too out of my price range.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Still, if you're in it for the games, spending $300 for a console that is guaranteed at least 5 years of support is a much better value than a $1500 PC which will only play the latest games at high settings for 2 years MAX. And like I said before, consoles are where all the games are at. Starcraft 2 is the only notable PC game coming out in 2008 that I can think of.

If PC games offered anything other than better graphics (like the Wii's motion sensing remote), I could see dropping the dough to upgrade, but it doesn't. There's nothing unique about PC games, other than the newest and best graphics.
    Actually in 2007 PC games had just about double the exclusive titles than any of the other consoles. But to each his own. Personally I can find tons of reasons to play on PCs. The ability to modify your game (custom skins, sounds, models, animations, etc.), Total conversations (stripping down the content of a game to create a totally new one for free), easier controls, way better multiplayer support (faster servers, dedicated servers, etc.), Scalable graphics, Exclusive titles, Innovative design (non-linear), etc.

I realize that PC gaming is something that is too expensive for some. To me, it's worth it. But if it's not your thing, then that's fine.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I think the price issues resonates with a lot of people here....definitely a major factor for me.

Personally its also the installing, tweaking, and arsing about that I don't like also...plug and play not plug and pray!!