Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend me a film (DVD) for Friday night...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sammylou View Post
    criminally underrated. Directed by Danny Boyle, who did 28 Days Later
    Sunshine? OK:-
    1) Let's wrap ourselves in a blanket and jump thru space... Yeh - right!
    2) Oh, we have artificial gravity! Really!?
    3) The whole premis of the guy gone mad was very weak! And been done sooo many times before...
    4) We're running out of air, oh no we're going to die! - Let's make NO attempt to close off rooms not being used, or use all that air in the bomb bay that's the size of X football fields. And these are the brightest people we could find on Earth? We deserve to die!

The holes in the script were just too big for me... Could have been a great film, but for me it was nothing more than a nicley shot meh!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    In a film where a spaceship is strapped to a bomb - a second bomb as well - that is the size of Manhattan, you've gotta suspend your reality.

Event Horizon had a guy dangling out in space, sans blanket, and he was brought back inside.

Artificial gravity - how else are you gonna film something like Sunshine? You can't be fitting all the sets into pokey little planes and keep going up and down up and down to get them weightless for a few minutes. Yes I know Apollo 13 did that, but the entire film wasn't set in space, and what was set in space was set in a pokey little space craft, not a massive space station.

The bomb bay would have to left with air - because as we saw people had to access it, and quite possibly quickly.

I liked the 'guy gone nuts' thing, because it's all about the power of the sun - someone who's been possessed by the power of it essentially, like that guy on the second ship...kinda like a version of him further down the line.

It was beautifully shot, the acting was good, the music was excellent. I felt it was a really powerful film to view, it had me gripped to the point where I could hardly breathe at some points (e.g. the shields scene when they're on there to fix some broken panels). I still get shivers down my spine watching that scene, but when I first saw it I could hardly breathe I was so wrapped up in it all.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In a film where a spaceship is strapped to a bomb - a second bomb as well - that is the size of Manhattan, you've gotta suspend your reality.

Event Horizon had a guy dangling out in space, sans blanket, and he was brought back inside.

Artificial gravity - how else are you gonna film something like Sunshine? You can't be fitting all the sets into pokey little planes and keep going up and down up and down to get them weightless for a few minutes. Yes I know Apollo 13 did that, but the entire film wasn't set in space, and what was set in space was set in a pokey little space craft, not a massive space station.

The bomb bay would have to left with air - because as we saw people had to access it, and quite possibly quickly.

I liked the 'guy gone nuts' thing, because it's all about the power of the sun - someone who's been possessed by the power of it essentially, like that guy on the second ship...kinda like a version of him further down the line.

It was beautifully shot, the acting was good, the music was excellent. I felt it was a really powerful film to view, it had me gripped to the point where I could hardly breathe at some points (e.g. the shields scene when they're on there to fix some broken panels). I still get shivers down my spine watching that scene, but when I first saw it I could hardly breathe I was so wrapped up in it all.
    Suspend reality doesn't equate to lazy writing... The hole premis that they were going to run out of air was just utter nonsense! They had like a million cubic feet of air in the bomb area alone!

Gravity? Either (a) you explain it - they had rotating parts of the ship, yet these played no part in the gravity on the vessel(s). (b) - You make weightlessness more a part of the story, (c) you simply design a craft which would have gravity, eg: a bit rotating/spinning doghnut/tube down it somewhere.

I'm not saying it was a bad film, and some parts of it - particularly in the first half - were very good. It's just - somewhat like 28 days later - I felt the second half just got lazy and lowered the quality of the film for me...

Anyway, tonights film is... DRUM ROLL... Shoot Em Up...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    You're damn right Shoot 'Em Up!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I still haven't seen Shoot Em Up. May have to rent it this evening...