Thread: Blu-ray wins... HDDVD is dead?

Administrator

England

Blu-ray wins... HDDVD is dead?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    huh.

well like ive said for months i dont own a hd-tv, too expensive, so im sticking with DVD right now. but the 360 hd player is only £50 now were i am and the hd-dvd's ARE £5-£10 cheaper than blu-ray discs so im still not too sure, a multiformat player for both thats affordable wouldd easily settle this, and be the must own media item for film buffs world wide.

if you like the whole high definition thing that is.

Super Moderator

UK
    I still don't have high-def, don't see the point, DVD is fine for me - heck I just re-watched Transformers on DVD and it looked f*cking awesome.

Now, with these "HD Ready" televisions, like those flat-screen jobbies, if you get a HD lead for the 360 and plug that in, you can game in HD, right?

Fiji
    wait a sony back proprietary format has succeeded? we're living in the endtimes .....

I dunno given the potential to all of the gen 1 blu-ray players to be rendered inert if Sony decided to upgrade the format to fixes it's know issues. id say this fight is anything but over.

besides i'm not buying a p$3, unless at gunpoint.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    wait a sony back proprietary format has succeeded?
    Sony has succeeded in defeating Toshiba; it remains unclear whether it will be viable as a format which joe sixpack will adopt.

I own both formats and both are great, but HD-DVD was the most polished, feature complete product. Blu-Ray isn't close yet, and won't be close until the 2.0 version becomes a reality in players...maybe in 2009 or so.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    this is just horrible, at least when sega and SNES faded away,the had a buy back/exchange system in place. you could go to any toys r us and they'd give u like $2 -20 for each game or a trade in. you'd think sony being this huge media conglomerate they'd think of something similar if not better.
    Last edited by acealive1; 16-Feb-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Sony has succeeded in defeating Toshiba; it remains unclear whether it will be viable as a format which joe sixpack will adopt.

I own both formats and both are great, but HD-DVD was the most polished, feature complete product. Blu-Ray isn't close yet, and won't be close until the 2.0 version becomes a reality in players...maybe in 2009 or so.
    and that's the thing no one seems to really get once blu-ray 2.0 rolls out all of the version 1.0 players will be useless. so yeah. i'll think about switching over in like 2009 or 2010.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    and that's the thing no one seems to really get once blu-ray 2.0 rolls out all of the version 1.0 players will be useless. so yeah. i'll think about switching over in like 2009 or 2010.
    im not switching at all. those sales numbers for HD dvd and blu ray look promising.but people dont remember the dvds are barebones and $50 a pop so they're a bit inflated.

they could sell 20,000 dvds in a week at that regular price and have a million dollars. as opposed to regular dvds which sell for $20 or less new and sell about half a million copies a week

im never leaving regular dvd cuz theres no reason to. its not exactly a dead market. too many problems and stipulations with those two different forms of HD dvd. gotta have a specific player and all that which sucks.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I still don't have high-def, don't see the point, DVD is fine for me - heck I just re-watched Transformers on DVD and it looked f*cking awesome.
    Same here, just ordered a 42" Philips plasma and will get an upscaling DVD player later on...Hell, I've only just got a healthy DVD collection together as it is, and I don't fancy paying out for the same DVD's in high-def when the standard ones I own are perfectly acceptable.

This HD stuff reminds of the "super audio CD's", why bother when good old red book CD's sound fantastic with a decent hi-fi?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Same here, just ordered a 42" Philips plasma and will get an upscaling DVD player later on...Hell, I've only just got a healthy DVD collection together as it is, and I don't fancy paying out for the same DVD's in high-def when the standard ones I own are perfectly acceptable.

This HD stuff reminds of the "super audio CD's", why bother when good old red book CD's sound fantastic with a decent hi-fi?
    exactly. LOL no one needs to ehar the car going by the studio ur recording in

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    im not switching at all. those sales numbers for HD dvd and blu ray look promising.but people dont remember the dvds are barebones and $50 a pop so they're a bit inflated.

im never leaving regular dvd cuz theres no reason to. its not exactly a dead market. too many problems and stipulations with those two different forms of HD dvd. gotta have a specific player and all that which sucks.
    Yes and no. HD-dvd's are actually pretty stacked with add on features, it's just bluray that's been consistently lacking in that category. in addition to a few others.