Thread: Saudi Arabia on a Witch Hunt?

United States

Saudi Arabia on a Witch Hunt?

I know the world is degrading a fair bit in some areas, but are we going to have a repeat of the bloody middle ages?!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    SAUDI Arabia's religious police plan to behead a woman accused of being a witch, a human rights group says.

Human Rights Watch has asked the country's king to intervene over "absurd charges that have no basis in law".

Fawza Falih was arrested and interrogated in the northern town of Quraiyat two years ago and sentenced to death.

The judges who convicted her relied on her forced confession and the statements of witnesses who said she had "bewitched" them.

One man claimed he became impotent after Ms Falih cast a spell on him.

Witchcraft is considered an offence against Islam in Saudi Arabia.

Ms Falih retracted her confession in court, saying it was extracted under duress and she could not understand the document because she is illiterate.

The death sentence was lifted on appeal, but reimposed in the name of "public interest" soon after.

Human Rights Watch's Middle East director Joe Stork said: "The fact that Saudi judges still conduct trials for unprovable crimes like 'witchcraft' underscores their inability to carry out objective criminal investigations."
    Last edited by Doc; 24-Feb-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    ****ing hell.....how do the Saudi Government expect to be taken seriously with **** like that? I mean...c'mon....hanging people in public is bad enough, doing it for little to no reason is just bizarre and evil....

England
    Bloody hell i hope these lunatics never get control of britain (a lot of people think they will within the next 50 years or so as they are outbreeding the native population)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Bloody hell i hope these lunatics never get control of britain (a lot of people think they will within the next 50 years or so as they are outbreeding the native population)
    So all muslims are just "lunatics", now? (Altough you know my view on religion in general...)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    So all muslims are just "lunatics", now? (Altough you know my view on religion in general...)
    No,but the ones making the rules in saudi obviously are!

Administrator

England
    I know the world is degrading a fair bit in some areas, but are we going to have a repeat of the bloody middle ages?!
    Absolute nonsense! Just do the 'float test'! That'll sort it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    At the risk of sounding bigoted, they haven't degraded, at least not since the Middle Ages. They just apparently stoped developing. This is just another way to keep women "In their place" like forbidding them to drive or forbidding them a place in paradise except to serve men.

Get it?

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

England
    Islam is rooted in the middle ages, that's why no Islamic countries have ever really progressed from the middle ages.

This is the most dangerous religion on the planet IMO, and I make no apologies for holding those veiws.

As for this poor woman, God help her.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    I wouldn't go calling these people lunatics
    or living in the dark ages.

English Witchcraft Laws
    Until 1951, England had laws strictly prohibiting the practice of witchcraft. When the last act was repealed, Gerald Gardner began to publish his work, and brought witchcraft back into the public eye without threat of prosecution.

It wasn't so long ago England behaved similarly.
    Not exactly, but close enough.

Give these people a chance to come around
    Its horrible incidents like this that invoke change.
    Unforunately many times death is the price we pay for progress.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    that's why no Islamic countries have ever really progressed from the middle ages.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Built with oil money and by foriegn contractors.

Still a primitive, middle age society that treats women like second class citizens, hangs homosexuals, tries people for witchcraft, etc.

So, nice pic, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the fact they have oil to sell...what else do muslim countries produce by their own hands (bar suicide murderers)?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Built with oil money and by foriegn contractors.

Still a primitive, middle age society that treats women like second class citizens, hangs homosexuals, tries people for witchcraft, etc.

So, nice pic, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the fact they have oil to sell...what else do muslim countries produce by their own hands (bar suicide murderers)?
    Dude! Calm down a bit please... You're getting into dangerous territory making such sweeping accusations...

This is sort of appropriate I guess - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings..._4224_27801_60
    -Carl Sagan