Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm seeing Diary today... SPOILERS!!!!

Undisclosed
    I got to check out Diary this past Saturday in Birmingham, Michigan. I was cautiously excited, this being only the second Romero zombie movie I've seen during it's original theatrical run. The original Dawn and Night made me the man I am today, whether that's good or bad is still up in the air. To me LOTD was a big let-down, the thinking zombies didn't bother me so much as the tepid acting/dialogue and the head scratching zombie-hugging ending, still pisses me off, but that's another thread.
    ***Here there be spoilers****

Rather than re-hash the entire plot, which most of you already know, I will just comment on the positives and negatives.
    It was interesting to see the zombie apocalypse start from a different perspective.
    The handy-cam POV shots didn't distract from the narrative.
    The effects were good and there were some creative zombie kills.
    It was refreshing to have the action move from place to place rather than remain in one; i.e. the mall, underground bunker.
    Now the bad. Bad acting, wooden dialogue, and some of the stupidest onscreen
    logic ever. Zombies approaching, but I just gotta film, no matter what. Comes off as really cheesy and unbelievable. GAR's insistence that the media is evil and can't be trusted. Okay, we get it. Scene after scene hammers this home. Voyeurism at large. "If it doesn't happen on camera it's like it never really happened." I think this line or something similar is said at least three different times. Subtlety, look into it. Plus this old bit: What are they? They're us and we're them. Something to that effect. Most of this GAR has done before and done better. I compare these 2 latest entries in the dead series to the newer Star Wars films. Yes, they touch on some of the old magic, like meeting old friends, but overall they're just disappointing and cliched. I hope GAR has a Revenge of the Sith-like finale in store because I'm starting to lose faith in his abilities. I'm sure the Romero apologists will come out of the wood work and lambaste me, but maybe George has made two films too many.
    2 1/2 stars out of 5
    Boy, you'll be damned to hell!

United States
    No bashing here. I think you made some good points, and you didn't stick to the tired "bah, this movie just sucks!" formula. The only thing I kinda disagree with is the bad acting part. Yeah, it wasn't oscar worthy but yet, most of GAR's films have a lil cheesy acting and dialogue, like the soldiers in DAY.

I feel the flick was fresh and a bit different. Yeah, the point was driven home a bit too many times, but did it bother me? Not really. The only complaint I would have really is that the flick moved a lil too fast for my taste.

Oh and yeah, the "Don't mess with texas" line....ughh....
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."