Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlton Heston dead at 84

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    It's obvious that there are gonna be a few haters, after all his final years were somewhat controversial. I like his movies immensely (especially Planet, Soylent and Omega) but I wouldn't say that he's an amazingly outstanding actor. With that said, he was supposed to be remarkable at Shakespeare but I've never seen him perform in any Shakespearian movies so I'm really not one to judge.
    My thoughts... Remember the films you seem him in are from a different type of cinema - more theatrical in some ways! He was one of the old-school actors who never really appeared to be acting, which in reality of course shows quality acting... And of course he had just immense screen presence...

You new if he was in a film, generally it would be a better film for it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    He was one of the old-school actors who never really appeared to be acting, which in reality of course shows quality acting... And of course he had just immense screen presence...
    That much can never be denied, his screen presence was incredible. Not to mention that toothy grin.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    RIP Heston.

Watching The Omega Man now, bottle of brandy, toasting the man.

Funny thing, it snowed here on Saturday night, starting from about 1AM GMT, i had a feeling that the snow represented something, the actual death of something to be exact, and i had a feeling i knew what that "something" was, but after reading this, maybe i was wrong ... and maybe the snow was for Heston?

Thats what i like to think right now anyways.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe View Post
    RIP Heston.

Watching The Omega Man now, bottle of brandy, toasting the man.

Funny thing, it snowed here on Saturday night, starting from about 1AM GMT, i had a feeling that the snow represented something, the actual death of something to be exact, and i had a feeling i knew what that "something" was, but after reading this, maybe i was wrong ... and maybe the snow was for Heston?

Thats what i like to think right now anyways.

I've got Omega on at this exact moment too...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I'll watch 'The Omega Man' tonight...
    me too.

politics aside. heston was a patriot- and he was in some damn great movies.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    A sad loss. RIP Mr Heston...

His greatest role IMO...

I will also watch the omega man later on.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Purely personal. His political views.

As for his films, never enjoyed one, never hated one....never blew me away with anything he did but similarly never hated anything he did either....meh.
    I feel the same. Any actor could have played his parts. I think he was a perfect example of being in the right place at the right time. I don't feel the need to toast this guy at all. Planet of the Apes rocked but anyone could have done it during that golden age of cinema
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Sometimes I agreed with his politics and sometimes I didn't, but he was a phenomenal talent.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dead

Undisclosed
    whether or not you agreed with his politics, you'd have to admit the man was a patriot for speaking up for what he truly believed in even if it caused controversy. The films he acted in and the causes he dedicated himself to really did make him a true class act. And there's one way I'll always remember him by...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    whether or not you agreed with his politics, you'd have to admit the man was a patriot for speaking up for what he truly believed in even if it caused controversy. The films he acted in and the causes he dedicated himself to really did make him a true class act. And there's one way I'll always remember him by...

LOL! What a great way to remember him!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I loved Charlton Heston for his films. Sure, his politics didn't agree with mine. But hey, he was by no means an intolerant or racist person. He was a pioneer in civil and human rights. Marching with Martin Luther King and starring alongside black actors before many others. Why doesn't anyone remember him for this?

Tonight I'm gonna watch Soylent Green and The Omega Man.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll have to break out Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, and Planet of the Apes in coming days...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    we watched omega man and soylent green last night.

tonight will be planet of the apes.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bogus. R.I.P.

United States
    I was quite proud when Mr. Heston took the helm of my beloved NRA. Great man, great American.

-stray-