Thread: Sound mixing

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Sound mixing

Hey! A friend of mine is going to do the sound mix on one of my films that is due to be completed in a few weeks. He's very keen on it, and he loves mixing films. But he's never done a horror film before, so he wondered if I could just ask around to see if there were any tips for him as a beginner. He'll probably be reading this thread in person, altough maybe not. Anyway, if anyone of you have any tips for cool effects and such: Spit it out there.

Undisclosed
    What gear is he using to do the sound mix?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, I've begun cutting the film in Premiere (I'm still avoiding Avid), so I guess Pro Tools is out of the question. Probably Audition, then. But maybe Pro Tools as well, depending on how time he wants to spend converting.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well in terms of music, something more classical/orchestral works much better 99% of the time rather than some 'hard rawking' type stuff.

For instance, the music that Harry Manfredini did in the Friday franchise, great horror music, great use of violins and other such string instruments...but don't ask me on anything more than that though in a technical sense, I'm as musically gifted as a brick.

I think the music should be present, but not over-bearing, until it absolutely has to. You have to find the right line between the musing driving the visuals, and the visuals driving the music - if that makes sense.

You want to be creeped out before something scary, but you don't want to be sat there waiting for the something scary you know is flat-out coming, see what I mean?

It's also nice to keep it simple, but creepy, perhaps have a 'themetune' if you will, but have variations on it. One slow and sad, another slow and creepy, another faster and another really punchy for when sh*t's hitting the proverbial fans left, right & centre.

Just some ideas off the top of me noggin', squire...