Thread: 'Life After People' - UK folks (Mon, May 26th)

Administrator

England

'Life After People' - UK folks (Mon, May 26th)

Monday, May 26th - Channel 4, 9:00pm
    http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

Undisclosed

Life After People

This was broadcast in the US a couple of months ago. I watched it. There's NO explanation for people disappearing. The point of it is what happens after, how ephemeral everything we ever built is and how long the last traces of mankind take to vanish. Its depressingly rapid.

Having said that, the documentary is a great one. One of my favorite scifi writers, David "Postman, Uplift Series" Brin, took part in it as well. I emailed David and he said it was a lot of fun and set him to thinking.

If you're considering watching, do it. I liked it enough that I'm considering buying the DVD.
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I really enjoyed it ,very interesting stuff,

like hoover dam and mount rushmore surviving like 10,000 years and whatnot.

ViP

United States
    Very interesting doc. I DVD-R'd it. It is good reference material for fiction writers.

Super Moderator

UK
    I chatted about it on my blog, so check that out if you wish, I believe I kept it spoiler free.

What really wound me up though, aside from the constantly repeated footage, was the voice over. It treats you like a retarded pebble that's under a rock, and keeps hammering the same old "it'll never be the same again" nail into your weary head.

So aside from the annoying aspects, as well as the overlong nature of it, it's worth viewing.

The Pripyat bit was best of course.

England
    National Geographic have done a similair one...

"Aftermath - Population Zero"

You can watch it here, I haven't got around to it yet, but I assume that it will be the same sort of fare...

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Blame...-zero-pt-.aspx
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Australia
    Life After People was very interesting, a lot of food for thought!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs down

I need to get me a good satellite dish i see. It seems like i'm mising out on tons of cool stuff.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Sadly I missed this when it was on, i would imagine life would continue though after man and nature would spawn a new intelligent or dominant life form.

Super Moderator

UK
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/01...atrocious.html

I mentioned in this thread earlier that I blogged my thoughts on it a while back, well there's the link for those who didn't see it before.

Indeed.