Thread: 'On The Beach' - Apocalyptic film

Administrator

England

'On The Beach' - Apocalyptic film

Bit overlong, and a bit clunky in places. But for a TV movie generally not too bad.

From an apolcalytic point of fiew done generally quite well, and very well in one or two areas!

*spoiler*

Dear God! I challenge anyone (especially parents) not to blub their f***ing souls out at the end of this one! I was an absolute mess at the end of the film!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bit overlong, and a bit clunky in places. But for a TV movie generally not too bad.

From an apolcalytic point of fiew done generally quite well, and very well in one or two areas!

*spoiler*

Dear God! I challenge anyone (especially parents) not to blub their f***ing souls out at the end of this one! I was an absolute mess at the end of the film!
    I was so big a fan of the original novel by Nevil Shute and the Stanley Kramer film with Gregory Peck, that when I heard there was to be a TV adaption, I was worried they would screw it up.
    A plus for the 59 version was Fred Astaire's first dramatic turn as a cynical scientist.
    Brilliant.
    On The Beach 2000.
    With a good cast, including Rachel Ward and Brian Brown, the worst I could say about it was that it brought pretty much nothing new to the drama of survivors of a nuclear war waiting for a lethal radioactive cloud to reach Australia. Good for those afraid of dated material.
    Oddly enough, It was the same with George Clooney's production/remake of Fail Safe, of the outstanding Sidney Lumet 1964 film about a nuclear bomber group accidentally sent into Russia. Pretty much a literal remake.
    Neil, keep it coming with the apocalypse films, I always did like those End of The World films.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    I was so big a fan of the original novel by Nevil Shute and the Stanley Kramer film with Gregory Peck, that when I heard there was to be a TV adaption, I was worried they would screw it up.
    A plus for the 59 version was Fred Astaire's first dramatic turn as a cynical scientist.
    Brilliant.
    On The Beach 2000.
    With a good cast, including Rachel Ward and Brian Brown, the worst I could say about it was that it brought pretty much nothing new to the drama of survivors of a nuclear war waiting for a lethal radioactive cloud to reach Australia. Good for those afraid of dated material.
    Oddly enough, It was the same with George Clooney's production/remake of Fail Safe, of the outstanding Sidney Lumet 1964 film about a nuclear bomber group accidentally sent into Russia. Pretty much a literal remake.
    Neil, keep it coming with the apocalypse films, I always did like those End of The World films.

Wayne Z
    The scene where they came across (nearly hit) the family stopped on the road, next to the cliff, was perfectly done! Very very moving!

ps: Rachel Ward can't act very well... But at least she acted a bit better than when she was next to Bryan Brown in the 'Thorn Birds'...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

The family's last scene was rough, rough, rough to get through.

England
    Im glad you enjoyed it Neil
    I stumbled across it one day and thought hell why not.
    You're right, it does crawl in places but overall a very good tv movie.

I think im going to watch Quiet Earth tonight. Its been a few years so a refresher is in order.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA