Thread: Spaced Coming to BBC America

Super Moderator

United States

Spaced Coming to BBC America

Sweet!

Now I get to see what all the fuss is over...

Source

BBC America is adding a new British comedy import and introducing a second season of another, both in June.

The new show is Spaced, written by Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) and Jessica Stevenson (Smack the Pony), chronicling the agony and ecstasy of two disillusioned Gen X-ers adrift in a world where reality is as subjective as their taste in shoes. Produced by Paramount Comedy and LWT for the U.K.’s Channel 4, it premieres with an hour-long special (two of seven 30-minute episodes) Friday, June 23, at 11 p.m. (EST)/8 p.m. (PST).

Cult comedy hit Peepshow -- winner of one of Europe’s top television prizes, a Golden Rose of Montreux -- centers on the inner thoughts of two socially dysfunctional roommates, Mark and Jeremy, also known as the “El Dude Brothers.” Written by Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain (The Thick of It, Smack the Pony), it’s a Channel 4/Objective Productions production. A six-episode series, it premieres Friday, June 30, at 11:30 p.m. (EST)/8:30 p.m. (PST).

Both comedies will premiere in “The Underground,” BBC America’s late-night zone that showcases adult, irreverent comedies.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    no way i was just about to post this, oh well ill post the links as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced

http://www.mininova.org/tor/57601

trust me its one of , if not THE funniest and cool sitcoms of the last 15 years. i got the 3 disc box set and for those who didnt see it but loved spaced after the credits it showed tim and daisy for a moment with thier baby ,which tim calls 'luke', but daisy says that she doesnt want her daughter to be called luke .

just whtach it, and get the torrent i linked if you cant get the dvds in your countrys.

actually if you want proof of how successful it is look up the soundtrack on amazon, its selling for £65+

Super Moderator

UK
    Spaced is absolute genius, everybody in America who ain't seen it - watch it already, it's classic stuff. FRIED GOLD to put it another way. As for Peep Show, that is also really rather good, David Mitchell (one of the stars/writers) is a really funny chap. Peep Show takes place from people's points of view constantly and you hear their inner thoughts, it's really well made and often turns into The Office level of cringe-comedy.

Both are worth checking out, especially Spaced, episode 104 is, I believe, the paintballing episode, which is one of my favourite episodes. Paintballing rocks and they make it look even cooler than it actually is, hehe.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    my favourites are:

season 1:

art- the noe with the resident evil sketch, and twiglets making tim violent, great stuff and pretty damn funny.

clubbing, cant remember the real title but they all go to a rave, to cheer up mike after being kicked out the rough ramblers, it involves drug laced lolipops, bottle water and a remix of the a team title theme.

Season 2:

change - tim loses it in the comic shop when a kid asks for a jarjar binks doll, and being it still hurts even after 18 months bilbo fires him so he has to work at a diffeent shop and come to terms with it.

epiphanies - its the last one, best way to end a sitcom ,ever.

..well aside from blackadder goes forth,...sniff.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye those are classic episodes, sh*t, the entire 14 episodes are all classic. It was a rather good way to end it I feel, I downloaded that track "The Staunton Lick" by Lemon Jelly. After all 14 episodes you feel sad to see it go, but it's done in that "it has to be done, life moves on, things will all work out" kinda way.

As for the ending of Blackadder Goes Forth, I'll never forget when we watched that particular episode at Uni. It was for a course which covered the television sitcom, and they showed that final episode of Goes Forth. Usually, people are packing up and half way out the door as the show is finishing - that goes for films too, for the ones that stayed the whole movie that is - so it was truly unique and really moving to see that everybody was stone-silent, hadn't packed up and were all still sat there as the show finished. Everybody was hit with this epic power from that final moment of the show and I just couldn't believe everybody was sat there all understanding the gravitas of what was put before them.

It was really moving to witness and be a part of, even a sitcom can be a powerful thing when done properly.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I think I shed a tear when the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth was shown... (I only saw it when the BBC did the repeats!!)

As for Spaced... I've not seen many episode... Actually, I've only seen one!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye, i get funny looks but i allways, allways stay till the logos at the end of the credits, i gurauntee if it aint 'hollywood' theres something after the credits, allways.
    and as for spaced the soundtracks selling for like 75 quid now online, plus i downloaded let me show you by charisma, from the rave episode and ive been doing a tyres and going all disco at the bustop.

and yeah, the first time you see black adder goes forth end you do remain ....im gonna say numb for a second, possibly if your a big fan, even weeping silently, that was an excellent way to end a sitcom, and i dont use that word wholeheartedly often, the way red dwarf ended was **** in comparison.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ahhhh, but Red Dwarf isn't over, in fact they're coming to a decision right now as to whether they'll do a movie, or specials or another series. I like the Red Dwarf way of ending things, it's so hard to get around - then they do get around it - and often don't tie the two series together too closely. You gotta admit, kicking death in the beanbag and scarpering is classic Rimsy.

Also, this is more like it dude *taps nose*, remember.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    anyone watch the ep where it opens with tim telling daisy he wants revenge on women kind then runs out the window?, man is that a good impression of frankenstein from day or what?