Thread: Rrod

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Rrod

So I just recently moved my 360 into my newly completed basement/lower level of the house. I used it yesterday and all was well. Today I turn it on(it has a DVD in the tray from the night before) and it starts blinking the red ring.

I tried turning it off and trying again. No luck.

So then I make sure all the wires are inserted correctly, turn it back on, and now it seems to be working just fine. I looked around the net and unless I missed it, I didn't see anything that seemed to relate to this.

I just recently got it back from Microsoft because of an over-heating problem and I'm wondering if I should call them, or if the blinking red ring was just a warning that the cords weren't properly inserted all the way. Does the RROD blink or is it solid? Help?

NOTE: And please only give constructive input. None of the "XBOX suxxx, get urself a PS3!!!" crap.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    my refurbished one i got back after mine died on me sometimes turns on bt no video, or een controller connect occurs, and sometimes i get red lights and an "E73 error message on the screen, i just keep restarting it till it eventually works.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It seems to be working okay after I unplugged everything. You think I should just wait and see how it works or go ahead and call Microsoft?

Super Moderator

United States
    I found out my room mate has been getting the Red Ring on my Xbox the last 2 weeks.

...****er

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it cant "keep getting it" the 3 red lights is a total failure and the system doesn't work, if he can keep turning it on and playing it and only getting red lights every so often it means a lesser albeit still significant fault, OR just not plugging one of the cables in all the way.

Super Moderator

United States
    I can only say that the red ring of death has been reported to have appeared multiple times, always causing problems. I even saw it once myself a while back, but the game rebooted and kept working, allowing me to play a lot of content in GTA4 since that incident. Since that time, my roommate has--as I mentioned--reported it happening again and now the thing does not work, but I know what I saw.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The reason it flashes a red light is usually because one of the connections in the back of the system isn't properly inserted. When you messed with the wires, you fixed it. Nothing to be worried about.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    The reason it flashes a red light is usually because one of the connections in the back of the system isn't properly inserted. When you messed with the wires, you fixed it. Nothing to be worried about.
    He's right. I had RRD, so I check the connections. The power cord was not connected properly. If you disconnect the cord while the power is on you will get a RRD, until you pull it back in. I did that by mistake one time, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I concur, sounds like it was just warning you of loose connections round t'back of t'console. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Incidentally, did you get your very own console back from the menders? I checked my serial number on the case and it's still my very same console ... which I then named "Mason".

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    nah, the one i sent in (leonard) had a bit of an iffy case, it moved a little when you picked it up, a bit loose i reckon. The one i got back (Leeroy) has its problems starting up, and once the screen was a checkerboard of video and black squares but it plays the games after being restarted enough, which was more than the rrod'ed one did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I got my original console back. I haven't named it yet. Maybe Shenequah. Yeah....I'm going with Shenequah....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    epic.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    (leonard)...(Leeroy)
    Dude, did you name your Xbow 360s!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    of course, its to create a bond so you work as a team online.

obviously.

Undisclosed
    Mine did the same thing...although it is an original 360 not a refurb. I did call and they said it could be the power cord was not completely seated. (I had recently moved it) This was several months ago and it has not happened again since.