Thread: anyone else like matisyahu?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

anyone else like matisyahu?

i have been into reggae for a long time and this has to be the coolest thing to hit reggae in a dog's age.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Three words: Pop, not Raggae.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    "no woman no crryyyyy....."

Isle of Man
    Yea I dig what I hear so far. He has some really catchy tunes.

I would say it is reggae-influenced...but definately not reggae...along the lines of Sublime...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by idsaluteyoubub
    Yea I dig what I hear so far. He has some really catchy tunes.

I would say it is reggae-influenced...but definately not reggae...along the lines of Sublime...

Obviously you haven't listened to very much Sublime. These two shouldn't be in the same sentence together.

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Obviously you haven't listened to very much Sublime. These two shouldn't be in the same sentence together.

Hmmm...not only have I listened to Sublime pretty extensively...my uncle was good friends with Nowell before he died. I compared both Matisyahu and Sublime with their reggae-influence...

...you shouldnt act pretentious when you spend most of your time/life on a web board...it just makes you look stupid...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by idsaluteyoubub
    Hmmm...not only have I listened to Sublime pretty extensively...my uncle was good friends with Nowell before he died. I compared both Matisyahu and Sublime with their reggae-influence...

...you shouldnt act pretentious when you spend most of your time/life on a web board...it just makes you look stupid...
    First of all....Nice name drop. Someone "being" friends with a member of the band doesn't mean jack. It's in the music....I advise you do some research on the style of music you are refering to.

Second of all....I don't spend any of my personal time/life on a message board. In fact, I don't have the internet at my home. The only time I am on this board is while I have spare time at work. Sorry to let you down, friend.

Isle of Man
    Blending a love of dance-hall and rock-steady reggae rhythms with an aggressive punk ethic, sublime spread its garage hall gospel all across America, creating a rabid, grass-roots following everywhere they went, especially in the surf/skate/snowboard communities.

And more.

Do I need to "research" further...or have I already made you look enough like an idiot?

Again...dont try to act pretentious when you have no idea what you are talking about. If you didnt know that Sublime was reggae influenced...then maybe you should do some research.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay, there must have been a miscommunication somewhere along the line....

Sublime, yes....had some raggae influences. I wasn't denying that at all. I've liked Sublime from the beginning and I am(not to brag) a fairly decent musician with a pretty good knowledge of music on my shoulders.

So no....you don't need to research any further. Although, all you did was provide links to Sublime Bioraphies.

I was saying that this Matisyadawhatsit is not true raggae. It's more of a pop induced, "let's try to add a twist.....what do we do studio executives?" thing. It doesn't feel natural and I wouldn't be surprised if the band didn't write their own songs.

Not trying to rag on you....everyone has their own tastes and that's great. This is just my opinion. No need for name calling and getting angry...

Besides, How can you call someone names if you've never met them?

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Okay, there must have been a miscommunication somewhere along the line....

Sublime, yes....had some raggae influences. I wasn't denying that at all. I've liked Sublime from the beginning and I am(not to brag) a fairly decent musician with a pretty good knowledge of music on my shoulders.

So no....you don't need to research any further. Although, all you did was provide links to Sublime Bioraphies.

I was saying that this Matisyadawhatsit is not true raggae. It's more of a pop induced, "let's try to add a twist.....what do we do studio executives?" thing. It doesn't feel natural and I wouldn't be surprised if the band didn't write their own songs.

Not trying to rag on you....everyone has their own tastes and that's great. This is just my opinion. No need for name calling and getting angry...

Besides, How can you call someone names if you've never met them?

Ah. I thought you were trying to tell me that Sublime wasnt reggae influenced. That was the only reason why I put Matisyahu and Sublime together...their reggae influences. I guess communication was indeed lost somewhere.

Also, Matisyahu is basically just one dude. And he was very popular underground before he got relatively famous. Im not really a rap guy, but I dig his stuff. He has a really really interesting story as well...was a huge druggie guy who followed Phish around...then became a Hasidic Jew...go figure!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All the stuff I've seen/heard shows that they are a band.....

Phish is the sh*t....he screwed up, bad