Thread: Oh For FFS.

England

Oh For FFS.

Just tried to switch my 360 on and yes you've guessed it RROD.
    This is a 1st for me cause, even though its my 3rd console, its my 1st RROD. The other 2 failures have been GPU/pixelization. Goddamn its so annoying.
    Guess i'll have to brush the dust off the PS3 and order myself yet another coffin
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    At least with the actual RROD you might find a remedy via the warranty.
    I have been consistently getting Error 74 and Error 79 codes at startup, or if my game loads it will freeze after a minute or so, and these problems, I am told, are not covered.

All the same, my condolences to you. I myself am pretty angry at MS for releasing such a trouble prone system for the amount of money I paid. For chrissakes, my PS2 is still working after over 6 years of use!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    All the same, my condolences to you. I myself am pretty angry at MS for releasing such a trouble prone system for the amount of money I paid. For chrissakes, my PS2 is still working after over 6 years of use!
    The PS2 had it's share of people experiencing problems. I was one of them. Although, it didn't seem to be as rampant as the 360's crap.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    At least with the actual RROD you might find a remedy via the warranty.
    I have been consistently getting Error 74 and Error 79 codes at startup, or if my game loads it will freeze after a minute or so, and these problems, I am told, are not covered.

Can't say i've ever had those error codes mate. Im sure with a little googling you can find some way of "forcing" a RROD. Not that i would ever suggest you do that
    Little bit of info/advice for 360 owners.
    My 360 was a launch day console and the first GPU failure was within the 1 year UK warranty and they replaced it no problem, but the 2nd GPU failure was 18 months after i bought my original console. Thing is, i registered my replacement unit with MS and as far as i understand it, you get a rolling warranty based on the manufacturing date of the console new or replacement.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    as far as i understand it, you get a rolling warranty based on the manufacturing date of the console new or replacement.
    How do you mean?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    How do you mean?
    My original console was replaced with another unit which i then registered with MS. When that broke they checked the serial number of the replacement which had a manufacturing date a lot later than when i bought my original console. This was before they announced the 3 year RROD warranty so basically my 1 year warranty restarted based on the manufacturing date of my new console.
    Every time the console failed i got a new 1 year warranty.
    Maybe this is normal but after reading (and hearing) the nightmares people had with MS support, i don't think it was.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just call em up dude, they replace rrod' ones for 3, like 2 weeks, maybe 3 tops.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's what happens when a product is rushed to market in order to get a head start on the competion. There's no doubt that's what happened. Delays happen all the time with games that are just not ready they should have followed suit. But i guess the braintrust figured that if they started on equal footing with the competition they'd get crushed.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    At the very least, they should have released a Mark II 360 a year later without any of the technical problems, as they no doubt needed an extra year to work out the kinks and issues.

Which is exactly why I bought 2 years extra warranty cover thingymajig. Sure enough, 9 months after buying it, I had to get it fixed for a complete disappearing act the visuals did on screen.

Fortunately it was all done rather promptly and I got my very same console back, perhaps because I requested that, I duno.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Also pursue this with a consumer group, the thing is people don't, they just complain on forums and it allows Microsoft to get away with this ****. The 360's possibly a lost cause but the next Xbox console may not be too shabbily cobbled together at the consumers expense.

Undisclosed
    I wonder if MS ever released the newer versions with the upgraded thinner chips that produce less heat.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I wonder if MS ever released the newer versions with the upgraded thinner chips that produce less heat.
    They did, it's known as the "Falcon" chipset. If you bought your 360 after August or September of last year, it's got the new chipset. Chances are if you don't have a Falcon, your 360 will fail. An even newer model is coming out this year, with the codename "Jasper". Hopefully it will be like a PS2 slim model.

Undisclosed
    I exchanged mine a year ago around this time , after RRD. So, I must have the newer chips. Its runs quiter and doesn't heat up as much.

Super Moderator

UK
    Guaranteed, the next Xbox will be built like a brick sh*t house. There's just no way it'll be wobbly when it comes out, no way.

If it did, then clearly MS is being run by an actual block of concrete ... and no, that's not an opening for some "yeah they are" jokey come back.

I'm off to watch X-Files, woo!