Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know, I did not hate Land...

United States
    Yes I certainly pointed out a lot of negatives, I could do the same for Dawn and Day. I was playing devil's advocate in my own post.

Twitching

United States
    About Land,
    It passes the "Was it a reasonably entertaining 90 minutes for free?) (Have a blockbuster movie pass and rent so many flicks that any individual flick is only costing me like .25 cents) Hated Big Daddy, didn't like the plot holes (like the impossibility of zombies navigating a fast-running river, at night and by walking along the bottom, with a fifth the coordination/balance of a human and less strength, and doing it QUICKLY)...didn't like that Romero is obviously forgetting the Director's First Commandment (Thine Vision/Message must come AFTER you focus on and achieve an entertaining cinematic experience for the viewer)

Overall however, I didn't think it was bad. Not great, but entertaining. Heck, it beats the original Day of the Dead IMHO (my least favorite of the originals).

I think if GAR stops flogging the zombie horse to re-death he has all the talent and experience to make a truly outstanding film. If he continues the trend he's been displaying by making his social commentary more important than having a strong plot, good acting and solid effects then we'll end up with something worse than Diary.

It's really just a question of whether GAR learned from Land and Diary. Land cut it close, but was still fun. Don't feel the need to nitpick it anymore than that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Land was good. I liked Big Daddy, but he could have been a bit more "unsympathetic", and it would have made an interesting film. What if Big Daddy was really portrayed as a major threat, rather than just someone who was out for revenge? That would have been great.

I mean, in reality, Big Daddy was kinda evil. He led his zombiehordes to kill hundreds of humans. But he was just portrayed as someone who wanted Kaufman. If we'd seen Big Daddy take a bite out of people now and then, with a closeup of how fierce this guy was, the film would have been really, really interesting. And perhaps one of the greatest zombiefilms.

But the character of Riley is kinda boring, unfortunately. All the other characters are cool, but he's boring

Australia
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Thorn... very interesting!

I didn't like LOTD the first time I watched it, but it started to grow on me after watching it again, I found that it's actually not that bad after all. It's one that I enjoy watching now - and after seeing Diary Of The Dead.... well, LOTD is much better.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I didn't think it was bad. Not great, but entertaining. Heck, it beats the original Day of the Dead IMHO (my least favorite of the originals).
    I thought that Land was a really good movie,but there's no way it's better then the original Day.Day of the Dead is a classic,and my favorite out of all of Gar's zombie movies.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    I thought that Land was a really good movie,but there's no way it's better then the original Day.Day of the Dead is a classic,and my favorite out of all of Gar's zombie movies.
    Agreed.

Land wasn't all that great, after twenty years of no zombie movies from
    GAR, when Land was released I was expecting, I don't know what I was
    expecting, but it certainly wasn't what Land turned out to be. A so so movie,
    I could have done without seeing.

I haven't even seen Diary yet, and from what I have
    read around here, I don't know if I wanna see it.
    If it's anything like Land, I could do without it.
    I think I will stick with the classics, Night, Dawn, and Day.
    I don't know if anything anyone does can ever outdo those.

Undisclosed
    MAN! there are a lot of worms in here...did someone open a can?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    MAN! there are a lot of worms in here...did someone open a can?

Undisclosed

Well.......

I have sort of a love - hate relationship with this movie. More hate than love that is, I dont now what I hate most the zombies or the humans, or both, the more I think about the more I dislike it, poor make up, that dumb cameo by Savini (and I like Savini), Cholos demise, yikes where there something I liked? I will let you know if I remember.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive enjoyed land more each time ive watched it, i think id rather go watch this lately instead of day, if only because its got a much better pacing to it, though i much preferred the whole cholo vs kaufman story-line compared to the riley/ big daddy one, but all in all its entertaining and i enjoy it whenever i watch it

United States
    I think you make an interesting point; I can easily point to what I did like about the movie.

I actually liked Riley he was the antagonist but he didn’t want to be, he was just a guy who needed to get away. He did a job, did not respect the job, his employers, or himself for doing it. So he wanted out. I think many of us can identify with that. I know I can.

I liked the acting for the most part, a lot of good performances were delivered, some by named actors and some of the lesser actors delivered competent and even memorable lines and roles.

The pacing I agree was much improved, this is likely just because this is modern film and we are all affected by the “new reality” mtv style speed and cuts. It keeps the plot moving, and you moving with it and it does a fairly good job of wrapping you in the plot and making you an active participant.

The sets were brilliantly done, as were the special effects, and the costumes. There were some make up issues, mainly on Big Daddy who I think they went out of their way to look like a monster and not a rotting corpse. I think they failed on him. Other than that I think it was a brilliant bit of work and a major step up from “Dawn blue face”. The props were also high quality and high budget, the music and score was excellent and professional, though perhaps a bit lacking in that “eerie feeling” we get when watching night. The wonky echoes and bizarre sounds. I would like to see those sampled and made more modern.

The movie was fairly true to the GAR zombie mythos, I did not see major holes that made me feel he blew his past work out of the water. Zombies move slow, can use crude tools, have some form of memory, and want to eat the living. They have changed, and have managed to regain ever more memory and that may make them more dangerous. If not more frightening to some. I like the savage heartless cloudy eyed killing machines.

I think it was as I said on earlier to set up a sequel and I would love to see dead reckoning roaming the country so we can see more of what has become of our country. I would like to learn certain things like what became of certain key places in the “old America” the white house? Times Square? Major military bases? Despite all that is said and implied there is NO WAY the sole survivors are the ones detailed in this story and I would love to hear their stories. I would also love to see some different stories that are not all totally bleak. Where people do not feed on and prey upon each other.

Those of you who remember me know I am optimistic while being realistic. I debate in the prior forums with people extensively about how everyone could have value. I wrote a short story detailing how an autistic man saved the life of a major protagonist in that story. Around that time people were actually saying people who were crippled or lame or mentally challenged should likely just be exterminated or left to die. The funny thing is, and it made me smile. In Land, we see a guy who is clearly not very bright. He is burned badly, and should by that line of thinking be left to die instead of soaking up medical supplies and time. He is Riley’s good friend and often times his savior. Solidifying my position. There is value in all of us.

Anyhow just more positives, and I am sure the topic has been discussed about here before, please forgive me I have been gone for a while and as such it is always nice to catch up and discuss with friends new and old your feelings and opinions. If it is not your cup of tea to go over it again I completely respect and understand that.