Thread: The people who write computer viri need to be sodomized with a broken beer bottle...

Undisclosed

The people who write computer viri need to be sodomized with a broken beer bottle...

Gah. Lost everything in a hard drive reformat due to a virus or spy ware or something. I was working to salvage some of it, get it burned to DVD, etc, but one day, bang, computer freezes and can't do anything with it. 45 gigs worth of data was left in my documents file when I had to reformat. I'm working on re-finding it, but a lot is just gone forever. I'm looking at external hard drives for Christmas.

This, plus helping my mom put up a bunch of figurines on Ebay, work, school (two classes this semester, both on Saturday. One in the first half of the semester, one in the second half.) and some other stuff has really kept me busy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    sorry that happened to you and i agree completely - the folks who create these things ought to be fu*ked with extensively. instead of beer bottles, i'd have them all raped by baboons on crystal meth then fed to alligators feet first.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    sorry that happened to you and i agree completely - the folks who create these things ought to be fu*ked with extensively. instead of beer bottles, i'd have them all raped by baboons on crystal meth then fed to alligators feet first.
    How about raped by rabid spider monkeys with glandular problems and retard strength, then fed to oversexed gila monsters pecker first.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    That really blows !! I had to reinstall my OS recently & it's not a fun situation . Luckily I had most of my important documents, pictures, videos, music, etc on an external HDD. I would say to definately go for one for Christmas !! They are a life saver & are very reasonable in price these days.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    Gah. Lost everything in a hard drive reformat due to a virus or spy ware or something. I was working to salvage some of it, get it burned to DVD, etc, but one day, bang, computer freezes and can't do anything with it. 45 gigs worth of data was left in my documents file when I had to reformat. I'm working on re-finding it, but a lot is just gone forever. I'm looking at external hard drives for Christmas.

This, plus helping my mom put up a bunch of figurines on Ebay, work, school (two classes this semester, both on Saturday. One in the first half of the semester, one in the second half.) and some other stuff has really kept me busy.

actually if u get an internal hard drive and get an external case its actually cheaper,bro. also this almost happened to be, my computer didnt work right after some guy broke in and decided to kick it. so i took about 10 blank dvd's and copied all my files in case of a bad accident with my pc

Administrator

England

What protection did you have out of interest?

How do you know it wasn't just a hardware/software failure?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Christmas Island
    Well, if I had my way, tee hee, I would slowly peel the skin from their hacker scum bodies, inch by painful inch, from their silly little heads to their stubby little toes.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I feel your pain Wooley, At one time during the editing of my first film my system caught a bug and the reformat caused me to lose a lot of data including the save files for the edit of the film. When that happened, I started making tons of back-ups of the Save files everytime I edit, and now keep all the important stuff on drives separate from my OS drive.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    I've caught several spywares that can't be gotten rid of except for booting into DOS and deleting the .dlls in the system32 folder or using a program called unlocker to do it in regular mode. And deleting all the other files but those are the most important. Sort by date and they have nonsense names like xzxxxkk.dll. I can spot em every time.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What protection did you have out of interest?

How do you know it wasn't just a hardware/software failure?
    Norton antivirus. It's been pretty decent, as far as viruses go. Every now and then, a popup will show it blocked something, or a virus will turn up in a scan and be taken care of. Doesn't do anything against spyware/malware though.

Reason I know it wasn't a hardware/software failure was I clicked a link for some military book downloads and my computer froze. When I restarted it to get it unfrozen, there were new programs in my start menu, XP Antivirus to be exact. I had popups when I didn't have popups before, and it changed my wallpaper from a firearms scene to "You're computer is infected with viruses!" or something. After that, it redirected me to other pages instead of what I asked for, computer ran slower, etc. Even trying to hunt down the bad files and delete them didn't help. I would have done a system restore except it seemed like it had deleted my restore points.

I'm checking into other protection programs to try to prevent this from happening again.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i'd say they should be relegated to living in an 8X8 cell with nothing but the finest industrial strength one ply toilet paper to cut their cheeks with

Undisclosed
    Yeah, Norton doesn't block this type of spyware adware whatever it's called but that sounds like classic symptoms of the stuff I'm talking about. There's spyware blockers you can get or install Unlocker, search for files created the day you caught the thing, go to the c:\windows\system32 folder which is where they usually keep the dll's, right click on the files one at a time, click Unlocker, set to delete in the lower left hand corner of the program box, and kill process. Then delete all the other files installed by the program and then clean your registry. If you don't get those dll files it will just keep installing.

Christmas Island
    I'm checking into other protection programs to try to prevent this from happening again.
    Did you download and install a video codec prior to this happening? I read on a site that provides instructions on how to remove that crap that the XP Antivirus infection is located in the codec files.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Did you download and install a video codec prior to this happening? I read on a site that provides instructions on how to remove that crap that the XP Antivirus infection is located in the codec files.

do share

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    do share
    http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/02/22...us-protection/