Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: uh oh......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    wouldnt u have offed ur wife if she had some chump wearin ur clothes and driving your cars?
    It would piss me off to say the least, and my younger, more reactionary version of myself might have been inclined to bitch-slap the chump, but even when I was a much more reckless dude I wouldn't have shanked my wife, that is for certain.

What you said about folks from Los Angeles is pretty much correct, and I think this is something that people who don't come from where we come from don't get. Like you, I also grew up in a neighborhood where it was practically a given that disrespect could only be washed away with blood.

To me, it comes down to giving a situationally appropriate response, and with OJ's latest exercise in stupidity, clearly a situationally appropriate response is something that he cannot have. What I mean by that is, sure, I can see myself punching someone in the face for disrespecting my wife, and I can see myself responding with deadly force if someone was coming at my family with the intention of doing great bodily harm. But in the situation where OJ catches his ungrateful coke head wife with a pathetic waiter loser, I think that stabbing everyone to death is a gross overeaction. And if some guy is selling the stuff that he bought at auction after you let the lease run out at a Storage Facility, you don't get a bunch of crackheads and orchestrate a heist, you use the police and lawyers to get the stuff back. Again, one must always use the force that is appropriate to the situation. You can't just go off and be a thug (or in OJ's case pretend to be a thug) whenever you want, because the law is going to come down on you. (And besides, if you are going to pull a heist, for chrissakes, at least do it so that you won't get caught. OJ has got to be the dumbest criminal ever!)

Now I know that there are dudes I grew up with in the neighborhood that would think anything short of killing as a response to this sort of dis would have be an intolerable underreaction, but in this instance - that is, catching some wimp making time with my unfaithful wife, while wearing my clothes and smoking my cigars in my car - I gotta tell you that my rep would just have to suffer. Besides, most of the friends I came up with who lived their lives this way are now either laying around on a cot in lockdown at County or have been laid to rest in a coffin simply because they did not pick and choose their battles over things which they perceived as disrespectful to their manhood.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 12-Oct-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed

About time

Lets see how he likes being a prison #@%&!, not a moment to soon.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

capncnut

6 years to life

Click for article.

Should've heard him plead for mercy, he was like a little kid.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    well the sentence is in - 33 years of which he must serve at least 9 before he comes up for parole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7767556.stm

one thing that isn't clear: some sources are saying the sentence was up to 33 years and some are saying it was 15 with parole eligiable in 9 years.
    Last edited by Mike70; 06-Dec-2008 at 01:35 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    well the sentence is in - 33 years of which he must serve at least 9 before he comes up for parole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7767556.stm
    It is a fair sentence. Now he can get a real taste of what it is like to be a thug.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Christmas Island
    Looks like Juice turned down a reduced sentence plea:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/..._us/oj_simpson

Guess he felt there would be a "if the tape doesn't fit, you must acquit" moment.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I fail to see how the above accusation has anything to do with the fact that OJ Simpson a. got away with murder, b. knocked off an establishment while armed to the teeth with two men and kidnapped somebody, and c. is probably mentally unstable.
    a) I don't think he did... ie: I don't think he was guilty of the murder.

b) Yeh, seems utter madness what he did. But life?

c) Maybe...?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    b) Yeh, seems utter madness what he did. But life?
    I'm no lawyer, but I think that the Simpson's sentance was "enhanced" to"life" because there were firearms involved during the commission of the crime. Gangster types routinely get handed what is considered "life" sentences, but unless there is a stipulation that there is no possibility for parole then a life sentence equates to between 7 to 9 years. So unless Simpson shanks someone in prison, or otherwise behaves like a butthead while institutionalized then his life sentence likely will end in 9 years.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'm curious as to why this concerns anyone here (aka: not involved in this man's personal life or trial directly). It's not like we should care that much...

United States
    Yeah I was wondering about that the other day, some sources say 33 and some say 15

Well no one likes to be in prison but I doubt he will be given trouble by any other inmates (sorry to dash anyones hopes) since he
    1. Was a football player and sports are huge in prison. Although I do see a few inmates passing by him saying something along the lines of "denver broncos suck."
    2. Hes african american. Race is a huge in prison and african americans are of the racial majority. Thats a bonus for him since he has more of his own kind.
    3. The crime which he was convicted off isnt really looked down upon and is actually respectable (messed up I know)
    4. Okay he MIGHT be forced into joining a gang because of who he is, if he does he will gain protection or get stabed up / killed by a rival gang. Since he has money he might be approached to "break it off" He can chose to fight the inmates who have approached him about this or as they say be their bitch.
    5. He was aquited of his wifes murder. People who have killed (except child killers) are ususally respected and are left alone since they have alot of time serve.Although he wasnt convicted of this inamtes are likely to look at it as he beat the system and will get respect.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I'm curious as to why this concerns anyone here (aka: not involved in this man's personal life or trial directly). It's not like we should care that much...
    The state of the judicial system within a country should be of interest to all who live there or have loved ones or other interest in that country.

Now, within a pretty rotten and broken framework (our current justice system), I'd say this was a pretty good sentence, though I believe it's on the harsh side (putting on my blinders here, as best I can), but if he keeps his nose clean in prison he will be out in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, you want to talk Karmic law, I'd say OJ got ****ed and deserved it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany