Thread: Cheapest/best Blu-Ray player?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Cheapest/best Blu-Ray player?

I don't remember if I made a post about it here or not, but I recently, FINALLY, bought my first HDTV! Best Buy was having a sale so I got a 26" for my bedroom, for $300. This was about 2.5 weeks ago and I am STILL amazed every time I turn on an HD channel.

Anyway, now that I have this I really want to watch movies in HD at all times. The Netflix streaming HD flicks on my XBOX look pretty good, but I want the real stuff. I almost bought my friends old XBOX HD DVD player for $20 but realized that's just $20 down the drain.

So, the question is: what's the cheapest (and best) Blu-Ray player out there?

ViP

United States
    On black Friday I picked up a Sony BDP-S350 for $179.00. It has an ethernet connection so you can update firmware via the web and you can also use it to watch BD-Live material on your TV. There have been a couple of sales since for around $200.

I'd get that or a PS3.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks. What exactly is BD-Live material?

ViP

United States
    BD-Live is similar to DVD-ROM content, but if you have your player hooked to the net, it'll access the material from your player and you can watch it on your TV.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know nothing about the BD thing, but I know that you can also somehow have organized chats with the filmmakers. Christopher Nolan just did it for The Dark Knight about 2 nights ago...

ViP

United States
    Yeah, I think with BD-Live, you can record your own live commentary that can be shared with others, or some such nonsense.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I don't remember if I made a post about it here or not, but I recently, FINALLY, bought my first HDTV! Best Buy was having a sale so I got a 26" for my bedroom, for $300. This was about 2.5 weeks ago and I am STILL amazed every time I turn on an HD channel.

Anyway, now that I have this I really want to watch movies in HD at all times. The Netflix streaming HD flicks on my XBOX look pretty good, but I want the real stuff. I almost bought my friends old XBOX HD DVD player for $20 but realized that's just $20 down the drain.

So, the question is: what's the cheapest (and best) Blu-Ray player out there?
    For $199.99 you can get a Sylvania Blu Ray Player at Blockbuster plus a 4 week rental card that will give you a free Blu Ray movie each week for 4 weeks. I know Sylvania is not usually a great brand, but this player is actually one of the top rated players in consumers report, it does lack an ethernet port for the upgrades and live stuff, but if you want that for $50 more you can get a Samsung player at Blockbuster also (same deal with the rental card) which the local news station here in Detroit, Fox 2, named it the best one on the market. I'm not sure about your area, but here near Detroit both players are cheaper at Blockbuster than anywhere else by at least $50.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I own 2 Samsung HD TV's, and DVD-writers in my PC, They make some solid merchandise, high quality. I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray so I can't comment on their Blu-Ray players, but I am sure they are good quality as well.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*