Thread: Just saw something that made me think

United States

Just saw something that made me think

Apparently I recieved some negative reps about a post I made in regards to the UFC. Unbeknownst to me, "ufc is for fags."

I gotta admit this caught me off guard. I've never even had thoughts about men. But then again, maybe this rep-giver, who withheld his name to make his advice all the sweeter, knows me and other UFC fans better than I figured. I mean, sure, the fighters do usually wear short-shorts, and the fights usually end up on the ground in what can only be called "grinding," I had always thought of that sort of thing as athletes fighting for dominance in a violent game of chess, not in a homosexual manner. But apparently this helpful, unnamed fellow does see it that way.

So I was thinking, as I watched the UFC last night, "Is this gay?" Now personally I never open my mouth (or tap my keyboard) without knowing exactly what I'm talking (or writing) about. If I'm proven wrong I adjust my thinking to address that. But this guy (who withheld his name out of a fear of being thanked for his kindness) must know.

I know we have some gay people on the board. Tell me, folks: Is the UFC really for "fags" as this helpful fella told me? Or can us straight people still watch it too?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    Gotta love the immature kiddies who have to say fag/gay...etc in relation to anything they dont like. "Thats for fags...", "UFC is gay." etc etc. People should grow up and remember this..."To each his own." If you like it...great. If you don't...oh well. No need to call someone a fag for liking something.

Paranoia Agent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A break from reality! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Paranoia nurtures him!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057
    I know we have some gay people on the board. Tell me, folks: Is the UFC really for "fags" as this helpful fella told me? Or can us straight people still watch it too?
    Well, speaking from experience on both accounts (hard training and... well, never mind) the UFC is anything BUT gay. There is nothing gay about taking repeated empi to the face, being choked to submission or being beaten into unconciousness.

I think if you leave someone a rep point, positive or negative, you should have to leave your name and explain why.

I think rep points are kind of childish.

Super Moderator

UK
    Not that it can be attributed to this case, but the word "gay" now also means "stupid" (and similar words) here in the UK. It's still used to mean homosexual, but it is also used to say something is stupid or doesn't work or whatever. And I don't mean "this computer is gay = this computer is stupid because it's somehow homosexual", that would mean "this computer doesn't work/does weird things of it's own accord".

So "gay" now means two different things here in the UK, as for "fag", it means "cigarette" in the UK ... and is used to mean "homosexual", but I haven't really found it to be used that often. Of course, you get innocent guy-to-guy banter, the typical ripping on each other stuff, where for instance you say to your mate "you big f*cking gay" jokingly, meanwhile both parties fully respect gay people.

I wonder if homosexuals would have their equivalent to their homosexual friends - like "you big f*cking hetero" or whatever, I'm sure they do.

Just thought I'd add my tuppence in from a UK perspective.

England
    [QUOTE=MinionZombie] Of course, you get innocent guy-to-guy banter, the typical ripping on each other stuff, where for instance you say to your mate "you big f*cking gay" jokingly, meanwhile both parties fully respect gay people.
    QUOTE]

God yeah,me & my mates call each other gaylords,gay boss,big puff etc all the time,none of us are gay but its just bloke banter

Super Moderator

UK
    "Gaylord", lol, man that's an oldschool term straight out of my high school days, hahaha, classic. Just like "bummer", oh did I larf when they said that on "Spaced", teehee. Ain't heard "gay boss" before, at uni we'd call each other "choco cock" and suchlike.

But that's the thing, it's blokey banter, you don't mean any of it. Some of the sh*t me and my mates at uni used to say, completely in jest, would have been depraved and disgusting to the uninitiated outsider - but we didn't MEAN any of it, but damn it was funny to our little group, gotta love inside jokes.

Undisclosed
    For the person who thinks combat sports is for fags. This person needs to either get in the ring and compete or go to a real gym and train. Then talk trash and see what happens. I'm a combat athlete, myself, the training that I endure is some of the most intense I've ever experienced. And I'm getting sick and tired of people who never been in the gym or ring talking sh!t about us. Against a trained boxer or mma these guys wouldn't last 5 minutes without being put in their places.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    "Gaylord", lol, man that's an oldschool term straight out of my high school days, hahaha, classic. Just like "bummer", oh did I larf when they said that on "Spaced", teehee. Ain't heard "gay boss" before, at uni we'd call each other "choco cock" and suchlike.

But that's the thing, it's blokey banter, you don't mean any of it. Some of the sh*t me and my mates at uni used to say, completely in jest, would have been depraved and disgusting to the uninitiated outsider - but we didn't MEAN any of it, but damn it was funny to our little group, gotta love inside jokes.
    thats why this is so funny

United States
    I dont know what UFC is

dont pay attention to people who say things
    like "that is gay" or other such stuff
    it is probably repressed homo behavior on their parts

it is such a shame people have to act this way

even worse is i dont know what UFC is....

United States
    UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship. It's mixed martial arts, ie ass-kicking. Pretty wicked to watch.

Canada
    I don't care for UFC at all (I don't really consider it a sport, more of a spectacle like wrestling, but obviously more real.... give me boxing anyday) nor am I gay but someone calling it gay is obviously scared by the fact it turns them on watching it.

Also to the gentlemen who said this..."For the person who thinks combat sports is(sic) for fags. This person needs to either get in the ring and compete or go to a real gym and train."

So you are saying a gay person couldn't do it? I hate to break it to you, but on sheer mathematics alone with the amount of people competing in UFC some of them are gay... no getting around it.

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrtr
    Well, speaking from experience on both accounts (hard training and... well, never mind) the UFC is anything BUT gay. There is nothing gay about taking repeated empi to the face, being choked to submission or being beaten into unconciousness.

I think if you leave someone a rep point, positive or negative, you should have to leave your name and explain why.

I think rep points are kind of childish.
    I agree. I also think the rep thing needs to be discontinued. It serves nbo purpose but for people to **** each other off.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboy
    I don't care for UFC at all (I don't really consider it a sport, more of a spectacle like wrestling, but obviously more real.... give me boxing anyday) nor am I gay but someone calling it gay is obviously scared by the fact it turns them on watching it.

Also to the gentlemen who said this..."For the person who thinks combat sports is(sic) for fags. This person needs to either get in the ring and compete or go to a real gym and train."

So you are saying a gay person couldn't do it? I hate to break it to you, but on sheer mathematics alone with the amount of people competing in UFC some of them are gay... no getting around it.
    You misunderstood. It has nothing to do with homosexuals. Its the simple fact that this indivual is talking smack about something I train for. And I took offense to what was stated. This has nothing to do with bashing gays. Are we cool on that?

United States
    Thewhole "that's for fags" is funny, because it usually means the person saying it is either...

a) too much of a pussy to try it
    b) Already did and wasn't good enough
    c) is mad because they don't "get it"

Oh well. Stupid people are everywhere.