Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Would you stay home or go to the designated shelter?

United States
    No it is a great point you make, and in one of the zombie games I play I actually list my code of honor, superman complex, and boyscout mentality as liabilities in any zombie uprising.

You would need people around to make hard decisions, and a voice of reason to say "Let her go man, she is dead already" or else I am certain by my nature I would take undue chances to do what is right in my mind.

How do I know? Well I don't for sure, but there are lot's of real world situations I can point to where I did plenty of this I fail to see how that would change.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

I would put forward for your consideration the point that as hard as it might be to eat a bullet, for many people it could be even harder to fling open the door of the closet and rush forwards at a hundred zombies, firing off the last 10-20 bullets you've got in your guns. Self-preservation is a powerful instinct, but I believe many people make peace with their situation when they can feel their number is up. Could be wrong, but to me it's that whole dignity of self-determination of one's end thing.
    You did make an excellent post Wyld. I think that most people would never "fling open the door and fire their last bullets" (unless they had just watched Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid immediately prior to their situation ) I think it is more likely to just not open the door.

For example, let me assume that for whatever reason I am trapped in a closet. Lets even say I have a gun with a small supply of ammo. I know there are legions of undead outside the door, and throughout whatever building I am in. I know that there is no chance of my escaping the building. Any scenario of me opening the door means I will be attacked/killed/eaten. If the closet door was sturdy/barricaded/etc., and was withstanding the meek pounding outside, there would be no reason to open it. Is there high shelves I could climb on, to where if they broke in I would be above/out of the reach? Is there the possibility of busting the floor and entering a crawlspace? Even with a heavy duty floor and no tools, if the door was holding, I could try using my belt buckle, a coat hanger, whatever, to try to scratch a way thru. There would always be some chance of outside interference. A zombie clearing posse could come thru, kill the zeds, and I could escape. Who know, lightening could strike, start a fire, zeds are burning, along with the outside wall of the room the closet is in. Waiting until the last second, there could be a chance of running out past the burning zeds, out the burnt down wall and surviving. It would be hard to survive in the closet for much more than a week without water. Perhaps if I was literally about to die from dehydration, I would be forced to at least consider the old bullet to the brain. But I think there would be no reason to even think about giving up until the absolute last possible moment.

Undisclosed
    It will always be a grey area, how much do you help vs how much do you save your own ass. Outlaw Josey Wales is a pretty good example of this. He could easily live on his own with no problem but he accepts greater and greater numbers being virtually all of their only chance and regains something of his humanity in the process. I know I advocate rolling alone but Id be a sucker for women, kids, heck..dogs and Id do my best. But, I won't do it from a government enclave as their endentured servant.

Undisclosed
    Me I would be doing what those cops was doing in Dawn of The Dead getting my ass on a boat. Probably on a sail boat?
    Since I live near The Mississippi River thats where I would probably go? And probably go to one of the islands on the river? Or follow the river down south to the ocean?
    Of course I live in farm Country. So theres plenty of places to hide where I live. Lots of hills and woods. Theres also Mark Twain Lake,that would be another good place to go. A big ass lake and plenty of woods to take cover in.
    Of course the truth I dont know what would happen if an end of The world stuff started happening?