Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Fools Day

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    July Throw-the-Christians-to-the-Lions Day? Whatever, I do realize it's all in fun, but... I'd still like it better if there were presents or something. I bet Jack-in-the-boxes would be hot sellers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    OI do hate snakes, though. "Oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie." A likely story, Jacques.... A likely story.
    hahaha..."Geez I HATE Indy hogging the spotlight all the time! When are they gonna make that 'The Adventure of Jacques the Pilot' movie?!?! What could I do to get even with that guy? Hmmm..."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    That is a good idea.... What's his story? Y'know, nobody knows. It could very well be the best thing ever.

United States
    I hate April Fools day, likely because I lost my father on the day before "April Fools Day" 1977 to a private plane crash, and was told about it early in the morning of April 1, 1977. My folks had been separated for a few years, and he was living in New York when he died (I was in Los Angeles with my mother and grandparents.) I didn't believe my grandparents when they told me the news - assuming that it was one big April Fools joke. Then finally they convinced me and sent me to school where no one, not even the teachers, believed me when I told them about my father. I guess this is why I have always hated April Fools day, and hate even more whenever I fall for someones' prank.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 03-Apr-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    wowww Yojimbo sorry you had that happen to you. Sorry for your loss too. You have very good reason to hate april fools day.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    wowww Yojimbo sorry you had that happen to you. Sorry for your loss too. You have very good reason to hate april fools day.
    Same here Jimbo. Good reason to hate the day, as it SOUNDS like a gag (in poor taste) & no one takes your loss seriously.

As for all the other people who get pranks played on them, I feel kinda sorry for them. You might even say...

(Sorry, I really couldn't resist...)

United States
    Thanks Debbie and Moon. It was a long time ago, but I appreciate your thoughts.

Regarding April Fools: Maybe I am just too serious, but I don't like the idea that for a whole day I have to question and be suspicious about the things that people I know - family, friends, co-workers - tell me. It runs contrary to the way I am to have to filter through suspicion everything that they do and say to me for one day out of the year, since I naively take it for granted that they would never lie to me or try to fool me. And since I pride myself on being an honest dude, I likewise find it annoying that they might question what I do or say for an entire day.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-Apr-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Thanks Debbie and Moon. It was a long time ago, but I appreciate your thoughts.

Regarding April Fools: Maybe I am just too serious, but I don't like the idea that for a whole day I have to question and be suspicious about the things that people I know - family, friends, co-workers - tell me.
    No, I agree with you. It's a day of lies when you can't trust anything anyone says, it sucks. Also, sorry to hear about your loss and the heartbreak it must have caused when no one believed you. My girlfriend just read your post and said it was probably the saddest thing she's heard in a long time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    No, I agree with you. It's a day of lies when you can't trust anything anyone says, it sucks. Also, sorry to hear about your loss and the heartbreak it must have caused when no one believed you. My girlfriend just read your post and said it was probably the saddest thing she's heard in a long time.
    Thanks Kraken, and thank your girl for me too for the good thoughts. Though it was a long time ago, your sympathies are very much appreciated.

EDIT: After looking over my posts on this thread, I realize that I probably bummed everyone out with my gloomy take on this holiday, so I would like to apologize to the board for not getting into the spirit of things. Sorry, folks!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-Apr-2009 at 07:44 PM.

United States
    Sorry, Yojimbo. Even if it was a long time ago, it still stays with you.
    I could have done without the holiday this year - one of the guys who lives in my neighborhood (we all evacuated together due to the Red River Valley flood) was keeping me up to date on the situation as he stayed in West Fargo and I was out in the country. He called that morning and said everything was still the same, 'except for the fact that your place burned down.' There was dead silence for a long pause as I tried to grasp THAT new development, and then all of a sudden he said, 'April Fools. Just kidding with you.' Absolute worst April Fool's Day EVER.....

United States
    No Yojimbo you didn't bring us down, like I told ya I HATE Aprils Fools Day..it's a silly day.
    wowwww Dawngrrl I bet you wanted to reach through the phone and shake your friend?
    What also sucks on this day is for someone to get you some really really good news like "hey, I won a million dollars" then you get APRIL FOOL's grrrrrr makes you wanna throttle someone.
    Believe me I have been "GOT" by a lot of people cause I tend to take people at their word even on that day. lol
    Where did the days go when you were a kid when someone would say "Oh look you have a spider on your shoulder or ooh you have a spot on your shirt"? ok rant over!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    EDIT: After looking over my posts on this thread, I realize that I probably bummed everyone out with my gloomy take on this holiday, so I would like to apologize to the board for not getting into the spirit of things. Sorry, folks!
    Eh, don't worry 'bout it. I don't think it's REALLY a day most people actyallt "celebrate" (if that's what you would call it....?)

Other than that spur of the moment gag I played on my oldest, it's usually just another day to me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    Sorry, Yojimbo. Even if it was a long time ago, it still stays with you.
    I could have done without the holiday this year - one of the guys who lives in my neighborhood (we all evacuated together due to the Red River Valley flood) was keeping me up to date on the situation as he stayed in West Fargo and I was out in the country. He called that morning and said everything was still the same, 'except for the fact that your place burned down.' There was dead silence for a long pause as I tried to grasp THAT new development, and then all of a sudden he said, 'April Fools. Just kidding with you.' Absolute worst April Fool's Day EVER.....

Thanks for the understanding, Dawngirl. And BTW, your neighborhood prankster's joke was not funny at all - I wouldn't blame you if you slapped that guy for being mean spirited, April 1st or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    Where did the days go when you were a kid when someone would say "Oh look you have a spider on your shoulder or ooh you have a spot on your shirt"? ok rant over!
    Thanks again Debbie! Yeah, the old days of innocent pranks are a far, far cry from the mean jokes like Dawngirl experienced. One of my coworkers once got a call from their soon to be ex-boyfriend on April Fools, in which the poor girl was reduced to tears after being told as a "prank" that her dog had been hit by a car and killed. Not funny at all, and it was a relationship breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Other than that spur of the moment gag I played on my oldest, it's usually just another day to me.
    Moon, your prank on your son was perfect (and perfectly harmless), and one of the few pranks that I actually think was funny, and classic in that. Cheers, brother!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 05-Apr-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost