Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apocalypse Now - 330 min workprint

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Classic, maybe. A little more tolerable when I saw it when I grew older, albeit in small segments. The other piece of kryptonite is DR. ZHIVAGO. Even my wife couldn't sit through that whole shtick.
    There are a few films above 2 hours I can manage as well. But Dr. Zhivago happens to be one of them. I love it... Hey! It's Russian history.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It's Russian history.

So are gulags and Stalinist purges, but I wouldn't want to endure them either

(Just kidding)

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So are gulags and Stalinist purges, but I wouldn't want to endure them either
    15 million people can't be wrong... Camp is fun!

United States
    There are a few films above 2 hours I can manage as well. But Dr. Zhivago happens to be one of them. I love it... Hey! It's Russian history.
    Sorry, brother, but try as I might, it just didn't gel with me. Someday, I'll have another go at it, though, since I have heard so many times how wonderful this movie is supposed to be.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    A Bridge too far falls into that category for me as well,i can watch it over & over!its flawed,particularly the "german" equipment,but a classic war film & makes me feel all patriotic when i watch it,despite the fact the allies lose

Back to apocalypse though,im glad that in this new cut things have been fleshed out more with regards to Lance,i always thought in the first cut that he seemed to go from a pretty normal & decent guy to "lord of the flies" nutcase far too quickly & with no real reason other than when he says he dropped acid!
    Does this complete cut reveal any more about what happened to chef at kurtz's compound as well?although its quite obvious what happened to him when his head is dropped on Willards lap,i always thought it could have been expanded on a bit more,he's one of my favourite characters in the film!
    Last edited by Tricky; 06-Apr-2009 at 07:10 PM.

United States
    When Apocalypse Now Redux was released back in 2001 saw it in the theater. Recall thinking afterward would rather watch the theatrical version. The entire french nationals living on the plantation portion was extraneous.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

capncnut
    PM's sent to DJ and Minion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Does this complete cut reveal any more about what happened to chef at kurtz's compound as well?although its quite obvious what happened to him when his head is dropped on Willards lap,i always thought it could have been expanded on a bit more,he's one of my favourite characters in the film!
    There's nothing more about his death I'm afraid but Chef has tons of extra scenes in it (some of them are hilarious, especially the extended Playboy concert). The character is fleshed out more too, and I found him a lot more likeable in this version. He's my favourite character as well because he's so neurotic.

And it's not the complete version, not by miles. There are so many scene missing cards and also a number of scenes are chopped without warning, like Clean's death, Chief's death, Willard and Chef's conversation on the boat at Kurtz's compound, everything that came after the first machete chop that Kurtz receives, and shitloads more.

And it's still five and a half hours long.
    Last edited by capncnut; 07-Apr-2009 at 11:18 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    PM's sent to DJ and Minion.

There's nothing more about his death I'm afraid but Chef has tons of extra scenes in it (some of them are hilarious, especially the extended Playboy concert). The character is fleshed out more too, and I found him a lot more likeable in this version. He's my favourite character as well because he's so neurotic.

And it's not the complete version, not by miles. There are so many scene missing cards and also a number of scenes are chopped without warning, like Clean's death, Chief's death, Willard and Chef's conversation on the boat at Kurtz's compound, everything that came after the first machete chop that Kurtz receives, and shitloads more.

And it's still five and a half hours long.
    Cap, please PM me too if you would. Appreciate your help, brother!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."