Thread: Peacemaker dies in family sword fight

United States

Peacemaker dies in family sword fight

From the AP:

" INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A 77-year-old woman suffered a fatal stab wound while trying to break up a sword fight yesterday between her grandson and her brother-in-law, police said.

An autopsy determined that Franziska Stegbauer died of a wound from one of the swords, police Sgt. Matthew Mount said. Both men were hospitalized with stab wounds, and one was critically hurt.

"We're unsure yet who started this fight, how the swordplay got involved," Mount said. "We're not sure who it was who stabbed the woman. We'll have to do some testing on the swords and figure out who had which sword, whose blood is on which sword."

One of the weapons was a World War II-era Japanese officer's sword with a thin blade, and the other had a thicker blade, Mount said.

Police placed Stegbauer's grandson, 39-year-old Chris Rondeau, under arrest on a preliminary charge of attempted murder. Stegbauer's brother-in-law, 69-year-old Adolf Stegbauer, suffered several serious stab wounds, police said.

Franziska Stegbauer was not breathing when officers arrived about 1 a.m. at the home on the city's northwest side, and she was later pronounced dead at a hospital, police said.

Adolf Stegbauer was listed in critical condition at Wishard Hospital, a spokesman said.

Rondeau also was taken with stab wounds to Wishard. Police said he was alert at the scene, but a condition update was not available. He was being held in the hospital's detention unit."

At any point did any one hear someone yelling "There can be only one!!!"...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    At any point did any one hear someone yelling "There can be only one!!!"...
    Oh no you didnt!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Oh no you didnt!
    Oh yes I did!

United States
    Just goes to show that swordfights are no place for the elderly.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    That should go without saying. In this situation I would definitely be the 77-year-old woman. You can quote me on that.