View Poll Results: ANDYS ADDED POLL - is 28 days later a zombie movie?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No it isnt.

18 64.29%
  • Yes it is.

10 35.71%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Growling, Running, Twitching Zombie...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ned....I wasn't calling it a genre. Ya big ol jackass.

Just saying that the film is ABOUT a viral outbreak and not the dead rising from the grave.

Arguing that the infected in 28 Days Later are the same as zombies just because the director was inspired by Romero's films is like saying the pod race in The Phantom Menace is the same as the chariot race in Ben Hur because it inspired Lucas....

I'm with MZ and the others that say it's not a zombie film. It's obviously not from a viewer's standpoint and it's DEFINITELY not if all the creators say it's not. That's my stance...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    My friend,

No one is saying that the infected from 28 days/weeks later are zombies as so many in this thread have alleged. My point is that they exhibit virtually the same characteristics as the runners from DAwn 04'. That much is indisputable.

I do agree that the runners from 28 days/weeks are the same as DAWN 04, as they are the same from RABID which predated both films. My argument was merely that both Boyle and Hack Snyder ripped Cronenberg off. But, your point is well taken and I agree that they are all one in the same - all infected.

And though I do not consider "infected" to be "zombies" I do consider these films - 28 series, Rabid, DOTD 68 and 04, and to a lesser extent The Crazies - as being films that I would classify as "zombie films" which admittedly is a contradiction of my own terms.

Perhaps a reassessment and a new definition of what I call - and what my fellow zombies-on-the-head folks call a "zombie film" is in order?

I've said it before and I say it again here and now: I would be infinitely more tolerant of Snyder's DOTD if he called it anything but DOTD.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    The threatening element - so called zombies - are actually "infected" and not zombies at all.

So the official view of the Infected are not zombies crowd is: "We stole this definition fair and square and now we're callin' keepsies!!!"

Is that it?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Arguing that the infected in 28 Days Later are the same as zombies just because the director was inspired by Romero's films is like saying the pod race in The Phantom Menace is the same as the chariot race in Ben Hur because it inspired Lucas....
    Let's see... Historical Epic inspires Sci-fi adventure and...

Film where the worlds population turns into "ghouls" and attempt to eat the survivors inspires a film where the worlds population turns into "infected" and attempt to kill the survivors...

So uhm, No, that's not "like saying" at all.

Audiences, not creatores, define genres. And most people place the 28 films within the zombiemovie category. Because the monsters are brainless zombies who inhabit every single characteristic as the zombies from Dawn 04 and other zombiefilm.

The difference? None! They're the same monster!
    Last edited by EvilNed; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:06 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So the official view of the Infected are not zombies crowd is: "We stole this definition fair and square and now we're callin' keepsies!!!"

Is that it?
    I can't speak for everyone else, but call them "infected", or "virally-challenged", or "crazy disease dudes" - however you stack it, the threatening element which is in DOTD04 is not the same as DOTD78 since operate with entirely different rules, though in the end they may pose a similar threat to the "living"
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I do agree that the runners from 28 days/weeks are the same as DAWN 04, as they are the same from RABID which predated both films. My argument was merely that both Boyle and Hack Snyder ripped Cronenberg off. But, your point is well taken and I agree that they are all one in the same - all infected.

And though I do not consider "infected" to be "zombies" I do consider these films - 28 series, Rabid, DOTD 68 and 04, and to a lesser extent The Crazies - as being films that I would classify as "zombie films" which admittedly is a contradiction of my own terms.

Perhaps a reassessment and a new definition of what I call - and what my fellow zombies-on-the-head folks call a "zombie film" is in order?

I've said it before and I say it again here and now: I would be infinitely more tolerant of Snyder's DOTD if he called it anything but DOTD.
    Dude, I let it go the first couple of times i saw it but i Just can't hold it in any longer !! The original DOTD was released in 78' not 68', that was the original NOTLD!!

Don't worry. Happens to the best of us.

Is that it?

Hey, it worked when the white man stole the land from the indians.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    That's one opinion. Even if it is wrong.

Super Moderator

UK
    and the infected are "mindless zombies"
    I'm surprised none of you "28 Days/Weeks Later are zombie films" people have bitched about the Robert Carlisle character in 28WL ... especially considering the sheer bile spewed over Biggy D in Land by some.

Also - voodoo/haitian zombies are zombies, but another kind of zombie - the link being that GAR zombies are dead people, and voodoo zombies are believed to be dead people by those who see them ... they're not, but those that see them, believe they're dead - the premise around them being that they're apparently dead. That's the link.

28D/WL has no dead or apparently dead people in it at all. It's living, breathing people infected with a "rage virus" - is "Outbreak" a zombie film?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Dude, I let it go the first couple of times i saw it but i Just can't hold it in any longer !! The original DOTD was released in 78' not 68', that was the original NOTLD!!

Don't worry. Happens to the best of us.

Ooopsie! My bad, I do know better and should have caught that! Happens when you are talking/typing shit faster than you should, and don't take the time to review what you tapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm surprised none of you "28 Days/Weeks Later are zombie films" people have bitched about the Robert Carlisle character in 28WL ... especially considering the sheer bile spewed over Biggy D in Land by some.

Also - voodoo/haitian zombies are zombies, but another kind of zombie - the link being that GAR zombies are dead people, and voodoo zombies are believed to be dead people by those who see them ... they're not, but those that see them, believe they're dead - the premise around them being that they're apparently dead. That's the link.

28D/WL has no dead or apparently dead people in it at all. It's living, breathing people infected with a "rage virus" - is "Outbreak" a zombie film?

good points and well worth considering.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Let's see... Historical Epic inspires Sci-fi adventure and...

Film where the worlds population turns into "ghouls" and attempt to eat the survivors inspires a film where the worlds population turns into "infected" and attempt to kill the survivors...

So uhm, No, that's not "like saying" at all.

Audiences, not creatores, define genres. And most people place the 28 films within the zombiemovie category. Because the monsters are brainless zombies who inhabit every single characteristic as the zombies from Dawn 04 and other zombiefilm.

Man
    Evilned..i like this guy

so far youve hit it right on the head with these 'action star' zombies.
    we all know everybody wants the slow movers..the fast runners was a gimmick that has long since past...havent met a 'fast movers' fan at all
    maybe a little kid who dont know any better

keep them coming Mr Evil
    Last edited by Phenia Films; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's one opinion. Even if it is wrong.
    To draw the line between genres the way you do is simply crazy, tho. 28 Days Later can pass for a zombiefilm every step of the way, except for the fact that the "zombies" are not "zombies" as you are used to them. I've yet to see a good, lasting argument for why these films aren't zombiefilms.

EDIT: Watched second episode of Dead Set now, and I wanna punch the DoP in the face. ALL the shots of the zombies are shaky beyond belief! Even if the camera stands still!
    Last edited by EvilNed; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I see where you're going with this MZ and--for the record--I agree with you. There was no voodoo in Night of the Living Dead, was there? Glad to see we're on the same page.

Listen up, all, MZ and I would like to jointly declare that NOTLD is not, I repeat, NOT a zombie movie.

Glad we could agree on that, MZ.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To draw the line between genres the way you do is simply crazy, tho. 28 Days Later can pass for a zombiefilm every step of the way, except for the fact that the "zombies" are not "zombies" as you are used to them. I've yet to see a good, lasting argument for why these films aren't zombiefilms.

Why is it so crazy? To me, zombies are DEAD PEOPLE. 28 Days/Weeks is about people that are ALIVE and infected with a virus. Soooo....I don't see it as a zombie film. Shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around.

And for the record, I see why you could consider it one even if I don't agree. The infected are going after someone to kill them - kinda like the zombies. I guess most slasher films are zombie films as well...
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    good points and well worth considering.
    Cheers.

Also, with the recent discussion, here are my thoughts:

Rabid - rabies-like virus spread by a chick with a monster in her armpit, totally different to Shivers which has a weird slug thing that fancies going into open orifices to turn its victims into sex-crazed loons ... ... and that's different from The Crazies, where a biological man-made weapon turns ordinary folk into homicidal maniacs ... ... which is different from 28D/WL where humans get infected with a virus and become infected humans who are constantly mistaken as zombies by people who refuse to put the effort into establishing a difference () ... ...

*gasps*

Then Yawn04 has dead people, who ARE zombies ... but they fucking run ... ugh. Now - those zombies are actually the same as those in Dead Set...in both these two things they run and they roar up a storm like raptors ... ... but in Dead Set they don't fly, so...there's still a difference.

United States
    I see where you're going with this MZ and--for the record--I agree with you. There was no voodoo in Night of the Living Dead, was there? Glad to see we're on the same page.

Listen up, all, MZ and I would like to jointly declare that NOTLD is not, I repeat, NOT a zombie movie.

Glad we could agree on that, MZ.

I am in agreement too, since they were "Ghouls" - a term I prefer to "zombies"

We are really just arguing semantics here, arent we?