Thread: UN racism conference boycott growing...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

UN racism conference boycott growing...

the upcoming UN conference on racism is being boycotted by a growing number of countries. at first it was the US, Canada and Israel. Israel was boycotting over the whole issue of equating zionism with racism and the US and Canada were double boycotting over the comments about zionism and more to the point, language in the guiding document that equated "inciting religious hatred/intolerance" to racism. both countries felt that such language was contrary to the freedom of speech provisions in their respective constitutions.

now several countries have followed the lead of the US and Canada - Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Italy, and Germany have all joined in.

you have to be incredibly dubious about any conference where the president of iran is one of the keynote speakers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8007440.stm
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post

you have to be incredibly dubious about any conference where the president of iran is one of the keynote speakers.
    Agreed. Why not invite David Duke to speak at the conference as well if you are going to have the anti-semetic President of Iran?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am one of the few liberals in the world who has zero use for the UN.

Boycott the hell out of them i say.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the upcoming UN conference on racism is being boycotted by a growing number of countries. at first it was the US, Canada and Israel. Israel was boycotting over the whole issue of equating zionism with racism and the US and Canada were double boycotting over the comments about zionism and more to the point, language in the guiding document that equated "inciting religious hatred/intolerance" to racism. both countries felt that such language was contrary to the freedom of speech provisions in their respective constitutions.

now several countries have followed the lead of the US and Canada - Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Italy, and Germany have all joined in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8007440.stm
    One would also have to be "dubious" about Countries who purport to be against racism, but won't attend a UN conference on the matter. Especially when all of the Country's mentioned have truly despicable racist histories.

...And Netanyahu is a liar. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad did NOT say "wipe Israel off the map" at any time. He actually said at the 2005 conference in Tehran where all this nonsense started that "this regime occupying Jerusalem will vanish from the pages of time"

Very, very different to the New York Times "translation" of "Wipe Israel off the map".

He was also quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini. They're not even Ahmadinejad's words.

I cannot believe this cannard is still floating around.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 24-Apr-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    One would also have to be "dubious" about Countries who purport to be against racism, but won't attend a UN conference on the matter. Especially when all of the Country's mentioned have truly despicable racist histories.

...And Netanyahu is a liar. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad did NOT say "wipe Israel off the map" at any time. He actually said at the 2005 conference in Tehran where all this nonsense started that "this regime occupying Jerusalem will vanish from the pages of time"

Very, very to the New York Times "translation" of "Wipe Israel off the map".

He was also quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini. There not even Ahmadinejad's words.

I cannot believe this cannard is still floating around.
    Certainly the USA has had a bad history with racism, something that we are still struggling with to some degree, as are other nations. Admittedly, though things are better now than they had been 40 years ago we still do have a long way to go.

Regarding Ahmadinejan's anti-israeli rhetoric, I could be wrong, but I am operating off of what various news organizations have reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4387206.stm

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/KC11Ak01.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042000145.html

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=46037

If I am wrong, please forgive me for my error and please point me to the proper news sources that show that these quotes are wrongly attributed to the President of Iran.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Certainly the USA has had a bad history with racism, something that we are still struggling with to some degree, as are other nations. Admittedly, though things are better now than they had been 40 years ago we still do have a long way to go.

Regarding Ahmadinejan's anti-israeli rhetoric, I could be wrong, but I am operating off of what various news organizations have reported.

If I am wrong, please forgive me for my error and please point me to the proper news sources that show that these quotes are wrongly attributed to the President of Iran.
    While the U.S. certainly practiced slavery 200 years ago, we changed. There are countries today who still practice slavery and treat women as less than cattle. Yet for some, they would rather talk about our past than many countries present.

Do we blame the Germany of today for what happened under Hitler's regime, or Italy today for Mussolini, or Russia for Stalin's era? No, we don't. But, the U.S. is supposed to forever catch crap for what was common practice 200 years ago while countries currently doing it are ignored or excuses are made. I didn't have anything to do with slavery and have nothing to apologize for just as my German friend has nothing to apologize for about Hitler. Doesn't mean it didn't happen it just means its part of "history" and not the present.
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 21-Apr-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Ireland

And therein lies the problem. News agencies parrot each other continuously, which is why this "wipe Israel..." nonsense has permeated popular Western Culture. The first translation of the 2005 speech in which Ahmadinejad was supposed to have said the line, came from the New York Times and was spread out to agencies world wide, but according to Juan Cole of The University of Michigan, he has said that "no such idiom exists in Persian". In fact "wipe off the map" sounds like a very American term to me. It suits the political climate of some Country's to keep it alive, because Tehran is looking to pursue its nuclear ambition.

Ahmadinejad may be controversial and have more appeal from the hardliners in Iranian society, but he's no fool. I don't believe for one second that he, or anyone connected to him, wants to "wipe out" Israel. The repercussions would mean the end of Iran completely and there are plenty of people there who remember the horrific times in the Iran / Iraq war and have no desire to get into another one.

Besides, real power lies in the hands of the Ayatollahs anyway and nothing gets done over there without approval from them and anyway Ahmadinejad's tenure is coming to an end and many believe he won't get a second term.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    While the U.S. certainly practiced slavery 200 years ago, we changed. There are countries today who still practice slavery and treat women as less than cattle. Yet for some, they would rather talk about our past than many countries present.

Do we blame the Germany of today for what happened under Hitler's regime, or Italy today for Mussolini, or Russia for Stalin's era? No, we don't. But, the U.S. is supposed to forever catch crap for what was common practice 200 years ago while countries currently doing it are ignored or excuses are made. I didn't have anything to do with slavery and have nothing to apologize for just as my German friend has nothing to apologize for about Hitler. Doesn't mean it didn't happen it just means its part of "history" and not the present.
    Institutionalised racism was alive and well in the US well into the 60's CB. It didn't just simply disappear with Lincoln.

And yes, many people today DO equate Germans with nazis. It's still one of the first things that pop into peoples heads. Hitler, Hitler, Hitler....

Their taxpayers are still paying for deeds done well over 60 years ago, even though the majority of them weren't even born. Gernany has the holocaust continually waved in her face.

I can't say how Russians are viewed, but I'd wager that a great many people still look at Ivan as one step removed from those 1950's Commie caricatures that we were told were going to "blow up the world"...........or eh...."wipe" some Country "off the map"
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 21-Apr-2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    And therein lies the problem. News agencies parrot each other continuously, which is why this "wipe Israel..." nonsense has permeated popular Western Culture. The first translation of the 2005 speech in which Ahmadinejad was supposed to have said the line, came from the New York Times and was spread out to agencies world wide, but according to Juan Cole of The University of Michigan, he has said that "no such idiom exists in Persian". In fact "wipe off the map" sounds like a very American term to me. It suits the political climate of some Country's to keep it alive, because Tehran is looking to pursue its nuclear ambition.

Ahmadinejad may be controversial and have more appeal from the hardliners in Iranian society, but he's no fool. I don't believe for one second that he, or anyone connected to him, wants to "wipe out" Israel. The repercussions would mean the end of Iran completely and there are plenty of people there who remember the horrific times in the Iran / Iraq war and have no desire to get into another one.

Besides, real power lies in the hands of the Ayatollahs anyway and nothing gets done over there without approval from them and anyway Ahmadinejad's tenure is coming to an end and many believe he won't get a second term.

Institutionalised racism was alive and well in the US well into the 60's CB. It didn't just simply disappear with Lincoln.

And yes, many people today DO equate Germans with nazis. It's still one of the first things that pop into peoples heads. Hitler, Hitler, Hitler....

Their taxpayers are still paying for deeds done well over 60 years ago, even though the majority of them weren't even born. Gernany has the holocaust continually waved in her face.

I can't say how Russians are viewed, but I'd wager that a great many people still look at Ivan as one step removed from those 1950's Commie caricatures that we were told were going to "blow up the world"...........or eh...."wipe" some Country "off the map"
    Thanks shootem- you have given me some very interesting things to think about and I will take them into consideration. Certainly, in this situation I have formulated an opinion based on what I had read in the news, however you have reminded me that the news is not always necessarily unbiased or accurate. Peace, brother!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 21-Apr-2009 at 04:11 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    you are totally missing the point of the US and Canadian boycott. did you even read the article? the language in the guiding document has language in it which were contrary to the free speech provisions in both countries constitutions. the other countries followed suit based on the same.

the french and polish delegations walked out of the conference during the president of iran's speech.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Has the UN ever done anything successfully?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Nothing wrong with a little communism, I'll say!

Super Moderator

United States
    It's really in vogue, and always will be, to be negative about the U.N. But it's usually a throwaway comment, like people grumbling about the weather or complaining when they have to wait in line.

Were the U.N. to be seen as having too much power (some claim this from time to time), they are a dictatorial, supra-national force threatening to oppress or be usurped and directed for nefarious purpose by others. If the U.N. is too weak to immediately cut the Gordian knot of national treaties and issues of sovereignty and the corruption that always follows such institutions, they will get knocked for being useless and a waste.

In reality, I think (and feel this is reasonable), striking a balance is almost, if not, impossible in the shifting geopolitical landscape, as member countries jockey and push and try and make sure their interests and sovereignty are not getting screwed over. In the end, however, the major nations of the world do need a forum for solving problems & disputes and airing grievances, the world is just too small to do without something of the sort nowadays.

That's it, now I have to add the U.N. as a topic on my reading list
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 21-Apr-2009 at 11:26 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    They don't need a "reason" to boycott. The mere fact that the U.N. is trying to have yet another "conference" about something is reason enough to groan, roll eyes, and fail to show up for it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Agreed. Why not invite David Duke to speak at the conference as well if you are going to have the anti-semetic President of Iran?

Because Strom Thurmond is already booked silly !!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    In the end, however, the major nations of the world do need a forum for solving problems & disputes and airing grievances, the world is just too small to do without something of the sort nowadays.
    Excellent point. It's just too bad most people can't see things as reasonably.