Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: americans - pony up about your state...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by general tbag
    for sure i am a canadian before an american myself. lived back and forth for the last 10 years. back in america, grew up in canada.

im in nebraska right now, but i hate nebraska, to many conservative bible thumpin ideals throw in with a bit of hippocracy. not a good mix. also where i am seems a bit fanatical in that reguards.
    You should come closer to Omaha then. Nothing but a bunch of loud mouth radical minded liberals, that like most..cant think for themselves...

Paranoia Agent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A break from reality! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Paranoia nurtures him!

United States
    America first. Without America there is no Florida, no Michigan, no NY.

Saying that, the Fed does seem to have its head up its ass most of the time.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    I'm from Ohio...and a hardcore college football fan...therefore..State come first. There are just too mant lowlife assholes in this country for me to put it first.

Paranoia Agent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A break from reality! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Paranoia nurtures him!

Banned User

United States

Missourian first and foremost...

Missourians have more pride than Texans, probably. We have a lot to be proud of (and some we're not so proud of). Mark Twain, the greatest American freethinker since the founding fathers; Jesse James, famous baptist preacher's son and confederate Missouri partisan turned outlaw; William Quantrell & Bloody Bill Anderson, the two most notorious Missouri rebels. They orchestrated the biggest american vs. american massacre in American history when they led a band of Missouri partisans into Lawrence, KS and burned the mother****er down. And of course, there's Harry S Truman, the most controversial Missourian of all time, except maybe for John Ashcroft.

Missouri is the only state to ever enter the union under its own terms (see the Missouri compromise), and was the only slave state north of the Mason-Dixon line, at the time of the civil war. Missouri was also third in civil war battles, following Virginia and Tennessee, and fifth in casualities (mostly Missouri partisan rebels. Most of the union casualities were federal occupying troops sent from nearby Iowa, Illinois and Kansas).

Missouri was also home to Ulysses S. Grant at one time, who retired in St. Louis. Missouri is also home to famous American world war I general, General black jack Pershing.

As if that information wasn't enough, Clint Eastwood also particularly likes playing Missouri rebels in his movies. In Outlaw Josey Wales, he was a Missouri rebel from Lafayette County who embarks on a journey of revenge to find the "redlegger" (Missouri slang for the 1st Illinois and 3rd Kansas federal infantry troops, who were notorious for raping and killing southern sympathizers and burning down their farms, and made famous by the red stripe down their pants) and he also played William Munny, out of Missouri, killer of women and children in Unforgiven.

All in all, Missouri is a state of a bloodied and colorful past and when it comes down to it, I'm a Missourian first, American second, a human being probably fourth or fifth down the line.
    Last edited by Tri0xin; 05-Jun-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    When I'm living in Sweden, I'm the exotic american.

When I'm living in America, I'm the exotic swede.

Citizen of both, mind you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides
    Well I'm American
    and from Indiana, although I claim no relation to the state, its kind of like that sibling that you go "Well he's my brother but I don't like to talk about it." sorta thing
    indiana - all i can say is i'm sorry.

i totally figured that the overwhelming response would be for your home state. but it has been far from it. after reading all the responses so far, i gather that a few of you have moved around a bit and aren't really attached to any particular place. some of you simply feel that america is what is important.

glad i am not a betting person cause i would've crapped out on this one.

thanks to all who replied- this has been most illuminating.
    Last edited by Mike70; 05-Jun-2006 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fiji
    of late its in this order.

state,
    then planet,
    then country.

Undisclosed
    I've moved around too much to feel a preference for any particular state. I don't think it would matter anyway, as I don't really hold any sort of alligence to concepts. As in, what is supposed to be "American"...I don't know about you, but as I grew up, I would never have imagined that the US would condone the use of torture. Or spy on its own citizens. Even as an adult, these things disturb me to no end. This is the country I was taught had so much goodness and was supposed to the hero of the world? What it's proven to me, and what I've suspected all along, is that there are no traits that are inherently "American"--at least, none that no other country could easily also claim as their own to boost nationalism. All countries are made up of human beings, as are their governments. And, frankly, I haven't been too thrilled with the human beings that have made up my governement and my country as of late.

Greg Graffin once sang sarcastically: "I don't need to be a global citizen, 'cause I'm blessed by nationality." I join him in his sarcasm. We're all huamn beings and the more people understand that, and the less rabid nationalism that we have, the better off the world would be.
    http://zombie-a-gogo.blogspot.com/

Zombie-A-GoGo
    News, Reviews, Interviews, and More!

"Please don't beat Teddy."--Teddy, Night of the Seagulls

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057
    America first. Without America there is no Florida, no Michigan, no NY.
    You could also say without Flordia, Michigan, NY or the 47 others, there would be not United States. It's kind of a chicken/egg thing.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04
    You could also say without Flordia, Michigan, NY or the 47 others, there would be not United States. It's kind of a chicken/egg thing.
    perfectly summated.