Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help please!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So if someone pays tribute to or draws inspiration from an older film....that makes them hacks?
    You've been duped into believing that bands like The Misfits or White Zombie/Rob Zombie/whatever are somehow "paying tribute" when it's simply uninspired stealing.

Here's an example: I'll write 20 catchy song titles in under a minute by "paying tribute" to 20 lesser-known pre-70s genre films...

Terror From the Year 5000
    Cult of the Cobra
    Black Friday
    The Devil Commands
    Tower of London
    Horror of Party Beach
    Freaks
    The Whip and the Body
    Panic In the Year Zero
    Missile to the Moon
    Dr. Cyclops
    First Man into Space
    The Phantom Creeps
    Horror Hotel
    The Beach Girls and The Monster
    Voodoo Island
    Red Planet Mars
    The Haunted Strangler
    Eyes Without a Face
    The Invisible Ray

With great titles like those, the songs will practically write themselves. Next I'll further "pay tribute" by liberally using iconic images from the genre of fantastic cinema (without permission) as the cover art of my CD while additionally borrowing inspiration from said films for the title, like this:

or this:

or this:

So what we've learned is that "paying tribute" requires no work but is highly lucrative. Fun for the whole family!
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 01-Jul-2009 at 03:08 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No big deal in my eyes. If you have or create something and want to make it a reference to something else...go ahead. My favorite film is ghostbusters and my dog is named Venkman. I'm such a hack.

I'm not a fan, but it seems like I remember reading that Romero directed a Misfits video or two. So I guess he doesn't mind...