Thread: Separate sound recording

Canada

Separate sound recording

Post deleted.
    Last edited by dogma789; 12-Feb-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Deleted post.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Zoom H-4.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

The text says:

"Whether you're recording a live performance, a podcast, a class or workshop, a rehearsal, a songwriting session or even a sizzling performance of your band, the H4 has more recording tools available than any device ever made."

And that's complete bullshit. It's a semi-professional tool, not a professional one. But the sound quality is very good, and it supports external microphone.

Undisclosed
    I shoot in Super 8 all the time and i used a basic Hand Tape recorder (Sony TCM-200DV) which sounded great in the end surprisingly..used entirely throughout a short Zombie film i made..no problems.
    The best thing about this little hand recorder, it has a speed control for playback. I was able to have all the recorded/ADR in sinc with the dubbed in MiniDV audio.

If you use your imagination, you wont have to go out and buy expensive Audio equiptment (although if i had a bigger budget, id buy professional equiptment/hardware) but this little unit does fine

heres some clips i shot on Super 8, and using that sound recorder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEscFsWgYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYF0H8tXVg

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dogma789 View Post
    Question: I want to shoot on 8mm. But, I will have to record sound separate. What is a high quality, yet somewhat budget-friendly device to record live sound?
    Do you have a laptop? I record multi-track, better-than-CD-quality audio to my laptop all the time.

But regardless of the device used to record the audio, you will still need a decent mic and preamp to capture location sound.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    at uni we just used a small mini dv camera, grabbed a boom mike with the xlr cable and an adapter for the cable to camera connection, just import what you record into something like premier pro, capture the sound, delete the video and export it as a sound file, thats it.

-oh, i got my shotgun boom for £30 with an xlr cable going for £15 online, so decent sound equipment isnt that expensive really compared to what my camera and mac cost thats a steal.
    Last edited by Danny; 07-Jul-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Undisclosed
    I too have used Mini DV for location sound using a Rode microphone on a homeade boom pole with a shockmount. That worked pretty well in syncing with a 16MM Bolex.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Find a cheap Mini DV camera with XLR ability, record audio to Mini DV at 48khz, then sync in post. Use a good boom mic too. I use the AtR-215 and it sounds fantastic
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd like to point out that you can probably get the zoom H-4 for about as cheaply as any small camera mini-DV camera, but it supports uncompressed sound and you get it on a memory card instead... It's much less of a hassle. And if you're gonna spend some bucks on it, then you might as well just get the H-4.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I have to Zoom H4 and it's pretty good, has support for an external boom mic and records well. The biggest problem is the interface for using it is terrible. I mean.. really terrible.

But it's usable in most situations and very light and runs forever on batteries. If you have to use separate audio on a budget, it's a good call in my opinion.

Undisclosed
    Yes, those handheld devices are a good deal - however, for me at the time, they didn't offer cheap ones, so I just used my mini DV. But a separate recording device like those is a nice option.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Undisclosed
    Don't forget that the majority of most film sound tracks you hear are dubbed over in post - ADR.

While you should always try to get the cleanest sound possible while on location, production sound is often only used as a guide track.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 16-Jul-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: sp