Thread: Skydiving..

England

Skydiving..

Ok so has anybody here jumped out of a plane before then & how was it? Im doing it tomorrow & am slightly nervous! But also think its gonna be friggin' awesome!

United States
    you will like it.

I thought it was a 5000 ft drop i was going on
    it was actually 13,500 ft. (sorry idk what that is in meters)
    I only did it cuz i promised someone i would.

I imagine if this is ur first drop u will be
    tethered to an instructor.

Its not something u are likely to forget.
    I think u will have a good time.

How high is ur drop?

England
    I absolutely loved it!I was anxious as hell last night & didnt get any sleep,& very nearly said i wasnt going to do it this morning! The instructor chatted to me a bit before we kitted up & I calmed down a bit,but still really didnt want to do it! Then I got in the plane strapped to my instructor & with a load of other professional skydivers that I've known for a while (they talked me into doing it), after that my nerves strangely calmed down & we all had a bit of banter in the plane & watched the view out of the window!
    At about 13,000ft the green light came on & the door opened, the formation team jumped out then & I just caught a glimpse of them vanishing into the thick cloud outside, then we reached about 16,000ft & my instructor shuffled me to the door, the camera girl filming it climbed out & held onto the side of the plane while we turned so we were facing backwards in the doorway, we just somersaulted backwards out of the plane at that point & I just caught a glimpse of it above me as we rolled through the thick cloud! we dropped through that layer of cloud & came into a couple of thousand foot gap between that & the next layer, at that point the camera girl was floating in front of me & we were giving each other thumbs up & devil horn hand signals (which will be on the video when they send me the dvd!), then my instructor started doing 360 degree spins & I had an awesome view of the tiny patchwork of fields,towns & cities below me! It was that amazing & the wind was so loud that I wasnt scared at all any more,just loving it!
    After that the chute was pulled & there was that feeling like on a rollercoaster when you go down a big drop & my ears popped, then everything went completely silent & we were just floating along with the most amazing view ive ever seen under me & the other skydivers floating around me,we were still at least a mile & a half above the ground then too so we had a nice gentle descent to the DZ & I got to steer the chute! once we touched down I was hyper for about 2 hours & couldnt stop grinning! So glad I didnt bottle out of doing it, the best thing ive ever done by a long shot & I definitely want to do another jump! I rock!
    Last edited by Tricky; 01-Aug-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    A uni mate of mine did a sky dive for his 21st, and in his typical understated way he said he loved it too and wanted to do it again.

I think it's a bit much for me - I've never even been on a commercial airliner, let alone leaping out of some small plane ... ... plus I have vertigo, so that's probably not a good idea - although that, and bungee jumping have always intrigued me ... a little bit ... but then I quickly get all shivery and can't bear thinking about it.

It's like that dude who tightrope walked between the Twin Towers - just the footage of that alone gives me the willies.

England
    Im not very good with heights either, but skydiving is so surreal that you dont really register how high up you are, your far too wrapped up in how awesome it feels! Its nothing like being stood up on top of a high building which shits me up too, its a totally unique feeling! Not that many people can claim to have experienced that i'll upload the video to youtube & link it on here when they send me it!

United States
    I went skydiving in 2007 with my girlfriend. We jumped from 13,000 feet over the Southern California/Mexico border with a company from San Diego. Scariest and most exciting thing I've ever done in my life!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Ugh... I hate that falling/rollercoaster feeling. I know some people like it but for me it's sickening and it kinda hurts, it feels like my nuts are being forced back into my body.

Super Moderator

United States
    Sounds awesome, Tricky. I've yet to get around to it, but I wonder how well I'd be able to stomach jumping out of a plane nowadays. Then again, it may be just the thing I need.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Sounds awesome, Tricky. I've yet to get around to it, but I wonder how well I'd be able to stomach jumping out of a plane nowadays. Then again, it may be just the thing I need.
    You'll be fine dude, I was in mortal fear of doing it but im so glad I did & I cant wait to get back up there & do it again now! It doesnt feel like falling at all, and it really feels like you've conquered something afterwards!plus seeing the world from those angles and passing through clouds is the most ridiculously awesome thing ive ever seen, dont think theres many other experiences you can have in this world that can match it

United States
    Glad you liked your Drop Rich.
    It really is something that is hard to
    describe to someone isnt it?

England
    Yeah there isnt really words for that feeling in freefall,its better than any drug or any other extreme sport ive tried!

United States
    Heck, it's been years since I've made a jump. I don't have my log book handy, but if I recall correctly I made a total of 12 ... 7 static line and 5 "hop and pops".

This was back in the days before a jumper had an instructor accompany them out the door, so basically once you left the plane you were on your own.

I obviously survived.

Yep, it is a experience. Even now with a couple of decades since the last event I still get an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

-stray-

England
    Well, I havent got a program to rip the video from the DVD disk so I can upload it to youtube, but heres a few stills from it!

Super Moderator

UK
    *eep*

That's hiiiiiiiiiigh...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Awesome. Did you look to the horizon? If so, could you see the "edge of the Earth", like where the land was rounding?