Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombieland - A film with Woody Harrelson

Undisclosed
    I enjoyed Zombieland and took it for its face value. A comedy. It's mostly a road movie set with the undead Apocalypse as its back-drop. While there will be inevitable comparisons to Shaun of the Dead, I think the latter is a better film,all around. Shaun manages to deftly juggle laugh-out loud humor/gore-violence; a sprinkling of romantic comedy and genuine moments of true pathos.

Zombieland touches the surface of human pathos, albeit with alight brush,but it never feels that it hits the right emotional nerve as it does in Shaun.

Zombieland was a cool little diversion withe some genuine comedic moments and enough gore/violence to keep the zombie fan in me happy.
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Daddy View Post
    I enjoyed Zombieland and took it for its face value. A comedy. It's mostly a road movie set with the undead Apocalypse as its back-drop. While there will be inevitable comparisons to Shaun of the Dead, I think the latter is a better film,all around. Shaun manages to deftly juggle laugh-out loud humor/gore-violence; a sprinkling of romantic comedy and genuine moments of true pathos.

Zombieland touches the surface of human pathos, albeit with alight brush,but it never feels that it hits the right emotional nerve as it does in Shaun.

Zombieland was a cool little diversion withe some genuine comedic moments and enough gore/violence to keep the zombie fan in me happy.
    Shaun was spaced with zombies, so if this can be cheers with zombies that'd be just great

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Shaun was spaced with zombies, so if this can be cheers with zombies that'd be just great
    Alcoholic ex-sports star zombies who are sex addicts?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Alcoholic ex-sports star zombies who are sex addicts?
    you tell me you aint in the screening day one!

Undisclosed
    Sheet, I'd queue up early...
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Daddy View Post

I finally saw it earlier today, and was pretty much OK with it. It was a decent crowd for a morning show, and while the laughs were there ... they weren't always there.
    As a soon to be old fart (50 in a few months), Zombieland seemed to me, less a Balls To The Wall epic than a surprisingly laid-back Nudge To The Ribs. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    The Murray cameo was a good one, however it was over way too soon. I'll tell you something about a joke within the joke.
    Back in the early days of HPoTD, I'd written a short treatment(unpublished, of course. ) about a theatre troop trapped by zombies. If you've seen this movie, you can guess the punchline.
    Wow, it was a good idea after all.
    So while Zombieland was a fun romp, it didn't necessarily make the Zombie Kill of the Week for me. Like some of the better trailer bits, it was over too soon.

Wayne Z

“Ya don‘t sweet talk your concerns, I’ll give you that. “ interrupted his mentor, though not with the rancor reserved for that unfortunate outside. “But how much further do we go? even without the Dead risin, before this separation would tear us apart. The Civil War, Reconstruction, Desegregation … “
    “Separate But Equal. “ amended Honor, giving their boss the Evil Eye as both he and Parson had the good sense to blush. “This seems an extreme way to bring both sides together, Winslow. “
    “Extreme times, as they say darlin. “ the senator countered dryly. “And I must say, You look mighty pretty when yer pissed off. “
    “Damn Yank Pride. “ she giggled, though not without following it with a deep sigh. “But still it has it’s time. Especially when we’re preparing to go off the deep end … “

Deadfall; Fools on The Hill.
    Work in Progress

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I'd compare it to Shaun only in a "they are both movies" sort of way. And in that Shaun is a better movie. But Zombieland was enjoyable. I'd say a solid B+. It's not quite an A due to some pacing issues and I agree the comedy was sometimes hit and miss. But overall it was a lot of fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    you tell me you aint in the screening day one!
    I won't be, we don't go Day One to anything because my other mates have 9-5 jobs, unlike me who is freelance and can pretty much do whatever, whenever, unless I'm working at that moment in time.

We go and see everything on a Sunday - the first Sunday after everything opens.

It opens on the 7th ... or 9th ... and we're seeing it on the 11th.

Super Moderator

United States
    I gotta say I rather enjoyed the film, and so did the GF (can't say that for (m)any other zombie films).

I agree with what a lot of other folks have said. There is a light comedy element to the film, there's some fairly likable characters, decent zombie apocalypse imagery and good gore/make up. Yes, there weren't that many zombies and no real scares, but the film is--to my mind--fairly fresh for a zombie film and a nice entry in the genre. Overall, it left me wanting more, but I had this inkling that the writers couldn't deliver anything further, so the slim running time was probably a better way to go rather than forcing it.

Now, I want a big budget scary fucking zombie film. Give us World War Z or some equivalent.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Now, I want a big budget scary fucking zombie film. Give us World War Z or some equivalent.
    Which is why Hollywood needs to get on the blower and buy my zombie epic script.

Undisclosed
    I'll echo the favorable reviews to Zland.

There were a few quibbles, like why the hell is Columbus rocking a double barrel since they have such a low ammo capacity and are slow to reload.

But otherwise, there was some great gore scenes (always buckle up), some really good lines ("Can't you just eat around the buckshot?"), interesting characters (does Columbus finally score with Wichita?) and Bill Murray was really neat.

Is there any possibility of a Zland 2?

Undisclosed
    Question for all who have seen it. Would any of you recommend me taking a chick to see this? She is really not into horror, but thought Super Bad and Shaun of the Dead were very funny.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Question for all who have seen it. Would any of you recommend me taking a chick to see this? She is really not into horror, but thought Super Bad and Shaun of the Dead were very funny.
    Sure, it's a great date movie.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    +1 on the date movie thingy.

In other news... Watch out for ZOMBIELAND 2

Without giving away too much about "Zombieland," the comedy about how America goes from land of the free to home of the flesh-eating ghoulie, let's just say the ending of the Woody Harrelson-led popcorn flick sets things up perfectly for a sequel. Given that the movie nabbed the top box-office spot over the weekend with $25 million in ticket sales, another "Zombieland" might be infecting audiences in the future.

"We would love it, and everyone involved creatively wants to do another one," Paul Wernick, one of the screenwriters, told MTV News before the film's release. "Woody came up to us after the final cut of the last scene and gave us a hug and said, 'I've never wanted to do a sequel in the previous movies I've done until this one.' "
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    +1 on the date movie thingy.

In other news... Watch out for ZOMBIELAND 2

Without giving away too much about "Zombieland," the comedy about how America goes from land of the free to home of the flesh-eating ghoulie, let's just say the ending of the Woody Harrelson-led popcorn flick sets things up perfectly for a sequel. Given that the movie nabbed the top box-office spot over the weekend with $25 million in ticket sales, another "Zombieland" might be infecting audiences in the future.

"We would love it, and everyone involved creatively wants to do another one," Paul Wernick, one of the screenwriters, told MTV News before the film's release. "Woody came up to us after the final cut of the last scene and gave us a hug and said, 'I've never wanted to do a sequel in the previous movies I've done until this one.' "
    Cool!

I'm off to see it on Sunday, and I canny wait!