Thread: US Release Information

United States

US Release Information

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm kinda disappointed it's not going straight to dvd. Instead we'll have a wait months and months while they sprinkle prints to a few select theaters across the country.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm kinda disappointed it's not going straight to dvd. Instead we'll have a wait months and months while they sprinkle prints to a few select theaters across the country.
    Its a double edged sword I see it.

You're right, at least on straight to dvd the masses will get it sooner.

Theatrical can mean more money for the studio and Romero especially if the masses enjoy it.

Either way, gettin a new Romero film released is all I want at this point.

United States
    Oh Thank Gawd...I was afraid it was going to be a debacle trying to get my hands on this. At least with a 'release', I know I'll be able to procure a copy with semi-ease.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    Its a double edged sword I see it.

You're right, at least on straight to dvd the masses will get it sooner.

Theatrical can mean more money for the studio and Romero especially if the masses enjoy it.

Either way, gettin a new Romero film released is all I want at this point.
    Exactly, sucks for us that it isn't going straight to DVD, but it's probably good for GAR )& his producers, distributors, etc), insofar as the prestige of having a theatrical run rather than the some-what kiss of death of straight to DVD, & the impact all of that has on his rep & ability to secure financing for future movies. (How's THAT for a run-on sentence!)

So at the end of the day I think this is the best news possible at this point in the grand scheme of things.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Exactly, sucks for us that it isn't going straight to DVD, but it's probably good for GAR )& his producers, distributors, etc), insofar as the prestige of having a theatrical run rather than the some-what kiss of death of straight to DVD, & the impact all of that has on his rep & ability to secure financing for future movies. (How's THAT for a run-on sentence!)

So at the end of the day I think this is the best news possible at this point in the grand scheme of things.
    Plus I'll just echo a point I've always made, as long as George's movies get released I'm happy and that makes many of his faithful fans happy too. Most of the crap thats released now shouldn't be which is why I love to hear this release news

ViP

United States
    I will likely opt for whatever this Video On Demand thing is they are talking about, assuming it will be available in my area. With DVD Recorder handy, I think I'll be skipping the theatre on this one. I don't understand the logic of releasing it On Demand before the theatrical release, unless it will only be available in areas where it wont be showing theatrically.

United States
    I would like to see another Romero film in the theater (I've only ever seen Land and the Savini-helmed Night on the big screen). Unfortunately, when Diary was out, it was only showing in the "local" artsy-fartsy theater that is an hour away! I wasn't going to drive past two dozen perfectly servicable theaters to see it.

If they do that again, I'll just catch it on dvd.

capncnut
    I think it's great Survival is getting a theatrical release in the US, but just how wide that release will be remains to be seen. Something tells me to hold off on buying the R2 DVD until R1 details are known later in the year.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    this flick has "download" written all over it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Well, this is good news. Really good news, but I can remember here in Boise, ID that Diary only had but a week and bye bye! The odd's I feel are pointing to major cities and not much else, so I'm hopeful, but by a slim amount.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Super Moderator

UK
    Good news that it's getting a cinema run in the USA, it shouldn't matter, but it does hold a certain cache and qualification you know?

Capn - indeed, this does make me ponder what the R1 DVD is gonna be like. That said though, Diary R2 2-disc (put out by Optimum) kicked the ass of the R1 Diary DVD. So fingers crossed for the same again, as Survival is again getting pimped out by Optimum.

United States
    Good to hear. I doubt it will be shown here in Indiana. Regardless, I'll be buying it once it gets released on DVD

United States
    Double edged sword is right.

On the one hand I want to see every Dead movie in a theater. That's just the right way to see them. It would make me really sad for Romero to make a Dead movie that doesn't come out like a real movie.

On the other hand, getting a theatrical release raises the bar. From the reviews posted here it's questionable whether Survival deserves to carry a big theater ticket price. The last thing Romero needs is a movie shown on limited screens that gets flamed for having been in a theater at all. :S
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.