Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Akmal Shaikh executed

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've always said that nazi comparisons are the analogy of lazy minds.

It's like a person who curses like a sailor because they lack the capacity to articulate themselves better.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    *sigh* For the last time:

This was not Reducto Ad Hitlerum. I was not comparing China to the Nazis. Please understand that there are different threads of argument here.

Argument #1: I was saying that I thought China was wrong to execute the guy without a full and fair trial (unfair even by Chinese standards). This condemnation of China is separate from:

Argument #2: I think people should feel free to comment on whatever they see as unfair, even if that is abroad.

In #2 I was comparing the opinion of not being allowed to have an opinion on other countries' policies, to the conduct of certain sections of the British public before WWII. The "adversary" in this case (Hitler and the Nazis) is IRRELEVANT because in this argument I am concentrating exclusively on the behaviour of the "spectators".

If I'd used some other, "softer" analogy - let's say, the massacres that happened in Zimbabwe - we'd instead have been sidetracked onto another argument irrelevant to main issue with people going "Well, I don't believe we should intervene in Zimbabwe, either" or whatever.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 05-Jan-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    *sigh* For the last time:

This was not Reducto Ad Hitlerum. I was not comparing China to the Nazis. Please understand that there are different threads of argument here.

Argument #1: I was saying that I thought China was wrong to execute the guy without a full and fair trial (unfair even by Chinese standards). This condemnation of China is separate from:

Argument #2: I think people should feel free to comment on whatever they see as unfair, even if that is abroad.

In #2 I was comparing the opinion of not being allowed to have an opinion on other countries' policies, to the conduct of certain sections of the British public before WWII. The "adversary" in this case (Hitler and the Nazis) is IRRELEVANT because in this argument I am concentrating exclusively on the behaviour of the "spectators".

If I'd used some other, "softer" analogy - let's say, the massacres that happened in Zimbabwe - we'd instead have been sidetracked onto another argument irrelevant to main issue with people going "Well, I don't believe we should intervene in Zimbabwe, either" or whatever.

It wasn't a personal attack dude. If it came off that way i apologize.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

It wasn't a personal attack dude. If it came off that way i apologize.

I know man, I'm sorry if I come across as grumpy. That applies to everyone I've been discussing with on this thread. I have a lot of shit going on just now and it's making me a bit crabbit.

capncnut
    It's also a little 'convenient' that they don't detail the darker side of Akmal's history, and that you have to hunt for it yourself. Just found out he was taken to a tribunal for sexually harassing a female employee, and then unfairly sacked her. The plot thickens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    In 2004, he was accused of sexually harassing a female member of staff and ordered to pay £10,000 in unpaid wages and damages by an employment tribunal, according to the Camden New Journal.
    Last edited by capncnut; 05-Jan-2010 at 08:24 PM.