Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shut Ins

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I would rather be shut in with Bub and Big Daddy. Just be nice to them and they could call off the other zombies for ya.
    Sounds good until you run out of food for them...

Then they'll both probably pop a cap in dat ass.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Peter first, and then Riley.

If we are talking about that first night and a siege situation. Not a flee for safety scenario in which case a chopper pilot would be great to have around.

I go with this order because Peter seems fun and flexible enough to get the job done without being too alpha. He is a natural leader and I feel I am too. I also feel I would have no trouble taking a backseat to him on issues he knows more about than I, and I also feel he would be open enough to logic and communication if presented right.
    Agreed.

I like Riley, but I think he is a bit jaded, he does care about people and he does the right thing most of the time.. except for example leaving the Green to fend for itself and rebuild. Were all the zombies gone? Would they be safe? I personally would have stuck around to make sure things got off and running again. He was driven to flee, to get out, to go North. It was that single minded focus that I feel is a flaw that would be a detriment in a first night scenario. He has the skills with a gun, the level head, and tactics. He is not very personable most of the time he is jaded and scarred. He is also as I said far too focused on his own goal.
    Also agree...Trin and I have been flogging this horse back to life. (Once it rises, I'm sure we'll have a discussion over whether it should shamble or run )

Riley would be a good technical choice. The dude absolutely had what it took to survive long term. However, he was just way too focused on himself and his own goals. He also spends a good deal of his time trying to clean up after himself.

Riley would make a better follower than a leader, if he could manage to knock that gigantic chip off his shoulder and understand that the world is different than it used to be, and not apt to change back any time soon.

Ben likewise would be a horrible choice for me, he was far too alpha and closed off. Now maybe a lot of that was stress, maybe a lot of what we saw was because of him dealing with people around him. I mean let's face it when Cooper showed up Ben was already upset. He left a girl to die, they holed up in the basement, and were confrontational and adversarial the entire time. Cooper brought out the worst in Ben in my opinion.
    Unfortunately, in order to survive the first night, you're going to need to be equipped to deal with stress. Ben really had the tools for the job, he just didn't have the inner strength to keep all of the outside factors at bay and remain focused on the task at hand.

United States
    great points Deadpunk, and I just finished the rest of the thread and see that you and T discussed at length a lot of the points I touched on briefly. Really great reading.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Charlie - probably the best shot in the whole series, he’s so cool under pressure that he wouldn’t waste a single bullet.

Agreed. Rather have Charlie on my team than Ben any day. But I also agree wih Debbie:

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    Cooper might be ok if you could reason with him.
    After all, the cellar was, with hindsight, the safest place to be. Yeah, he had his defects, but overall I think that he would be a team player in order to ensure the protection of his daughter.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I would never ever have Slack. Remember when she was driving the car in the wasteland? And she decided to cut the wheels hard, hit the curb, and slam up the hill? What kind of idiot bashes year's old tires against a curb and starts yardfarming up a hill? Can you say flat tire in the wasteland? There was no AAA out there. Or when she started shooting the miniguns at Riley on the bridge? Holy cow. She's an idiot and will get you killed. Take a magazine along if you need the only other thing she offers.
    I'll take Slack then. I just won't let her drive, and the first time she nearly kills me she gets a boot up her ass. Either that or I always stay behind and "guard" her rear.
    I think Asia is a beautiful woman. I will need her to repopulate. I don't want a bunch of little magazines running around...

Or maybe Rickles and Steele. Those guys would probably have me cracking up.
    So there are my choices: a hottie that will keep me too weak in the knees to get away or two goofballs who'll have me laughing so hard I can't hear a zombie shambling towards me. What's a poor guy to do?

United States
    Lol - I'm still a couple pages back...

Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    I can't help wonder if Kaufman had the charisma to maintain the loyalty of armed men in a situation as severe as the rising of the dead.
    He says he set the place up and paid the people who protect it. So he never earned their loyalty - he bought it. All he really has to do is keep the luxuries flowing to the people who keep him in power.

If you look around the world at nations ruled by despots, few of them have the love of the people. What they have is a core group living the high life willing to ignore the fact that the rest are downtrodden. Keeping Kaufman in power is a group effort by those who would suffer from sharing the resources equally, or worse, letting a guy like Mulligan take over. You know Mulligan wouldn't be too kind to the people who had been enabling Kaufman for years. There are a lot of people who have a vested interest in keeping Kaufman on top.

Riley's attitude seemed to suggest he only wanted to get out before anyone tried to persuade him to stay, he didn't seem overly concerned that he would be forced to stay. If he had thought that, he would have split in the midst of a scavenging mission while Cholo and the rest of the rednecks were busy looting a town. Trying to leave from inside the Green suggests he really thought he was free to go.
    It's kinda a weird little conundrum. I agree Riley acted like he thought he was free to go. I have to believe Riley knew that Kaufman could screw up the car purchase if he wanted to. It may be that the whole group of them thought the place was freer than it turned out to be. Cholo believed he could buy his way into the Green. Riley believed he could walk away anytime he wished. Both of them were wrong and had bitter brushes with reality. Maybe that's why they didn't help guys like Mulligan?

Kaufman might be abusing his power, but even so, why would he waste the energy to keep people hostage in the city? ... Why would Kaufman push the issue to keep people in, when he new they poor were always on the verge of rioting?
    Again, look around the world. Dictatorships survive on the backs of the people. The Fiddler's Green Tower wasn't operating in a vacuum. It required the shanty town to provide cheap labor. Kaufman needed those people to support his lifestyle. And he gave them vices to keep them from rioting. To keep them distracted.

I don't know. Riley gives Cholo a pretty hefty reminder that he wants everyone going home tonight, before they roll into Union Town. I got the impression from Cholo's reaction that it wasn't the first time he'd heard that particular speech and ignored it.

I got the vibe that Riley was just as happy to be done with Cholo as he was with scavenging, in general. They reminded me of those two co-workers that always strain to be civil and cause eveyone else in the room to feel awkward
    Those are both good points. I'd agree that Riley was sure not chummy with Cholo. They had very different views on human life. But I don't think Cholo was getting guys killed a ton. Riley took the kid's death pretty hard for it to have been a common occurrence.

Looking at the rest of the scavengers it's not hard to think Riley was sick of them all. The idiots on the motorcycles made Cholo look full of win.

Regarding Peter - I think Peter is a top line choice. However, it's interesting to note that Peter had a gun to his head intending to check out, thereby leaving the pregnant gal on the roof to fend for herself. I think that's something to note when comparing him to guys like Riley who have survived way longer and have seen just as much atrocity.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    No love for Barb from the Night '90 remake? By the end of the movie, she'd shaken herself out and found her inner rock to focus on the task at hand.
    Plus she's good looking.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    No love for Barb from the Night '90 remake? By the end of the movie, she'd shaken herself out and found her inner rock to focus on the task at hand.
    Plus she's good looking.
    Excellent call, though I hadn't bother to consider the remake.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Asia Argento

All the shut in and end of the world stuff might cause her to lower her standards.

United States
    I don't believe in the remake.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I don't believe in the remake.
    Finally, someone who shares my opinion!

I didn't like the whole going from vegetable to Rambo in 15 minutes thing they did. Neo-Barb is one of my least favorite characters in any of the Romero zombie sets (originals and remakes combined).

She doesn't approach Miguel-level enmity, though. Nobody does.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Wooley,
    a true force of nature until Peter went all reparations on him.