Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Wake - May 2010

United States

Alan Wake - May 2010

New (albeit low quality) trailer finally reveals a release date. Will update with HD version when it becomes available.

Found some specs for the LE:

Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The Limited Collector's Edition will include:
    - Game Disc in box with unique art
    - Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
    - “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
    - Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
    - Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
    - Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 11-Feb-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Alan Wake PC Canceled, Now Xbox 360 Exclusive

That's gotta be a buzzkill for PC gamers.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...Exclusive.html

I'm telling ya, consoles are the future.

Last edited by darth los; 12-Feb-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Does that really mean PC cancelled, or just "we're not telling, until we can make more money months down the line?"

Other sites are suggesting and pondering if it just means they'll do the PC version some way down the line. It's a bit retarded to just cancel it too, why give up essentially free money, and especially after that famous video where they bigged up how awesome it'd be on a Quad Core PC.

Anyway, I've had it pre-ordered since 2007 for feck's sake, so it's about fucking time we got a launch date!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Does that really mean PC cancelled, or just "we're not telling, until we can make more money months down the line?"
    It probably means that it's a 360 exclusive for 2010. I reckon it's odds on that it will get a PC release next year.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    It probably means that it's a 360 exclusive for 2010. I reckon it's odds on that it will get a PC release next year.
    Aye, I was reckoning that too.

Good news though, I cancelled my 2007 pre-order in favour of the Limited Collector's Edition for exactly the same price as the standard game.

England
    I saw on the PC gamer site that the PC version is definitely canned, shame but its only one title out of all the decent games we get on the PC, you wont see Arma 2 on a console, & the console boys are wailing like kids about it on the bohemia interactive forums
    Still though, I would like to play Alan Wake, if only to see if all the hype & secrecy has been worth it, maybe if I find myself flush later in the year il pick up a console deal & give it a go..

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'm telling ya, consoles are the future.
    I see what you're saying, and not to start an old debate all over again, but I think in the long run "PC gaming" will continue to exist. If you think about convergence being the big concept in consumer electronics at the moment, meaning that each new device can do more and more stuff that you used to require a separate device to do; so consoles can now browse the web, I can compose Word documents and spreadsheets on my mobile phone, music players can emulate old console games, etc. The overall trend is to combine as many entertainment, business and enthusiast features within the smallest number of devices. This is starting to happen with consoles this last generation or two, and if you get to the point where you have an evolved PlayStation that can do everything a desktop PC can do, well then it becomes a personal computer in its own right (regardless of it's heritage). It might not be Windows, but PC gaming lives on, I reckon.

England
    Also no dedicated console player particularly wants to play a slow paced campaign game like the Total war series, or other RTS games like company of heroes or Sudden strike, or even in depth sims like Silent Hunter or Microsoft flight simulator, yet there is still a huge market for games like that & the PC is the natural home for them. Consolers like games that they can pick up & play, straight into the action with no complex keys & features to work out or tweaking with the visuals, & theres nothing wrong with that, but its the equivalent of going to a McDonalds drive thru instead of going to a decent restaurant or slow cooking yourself something nice at home - instant gratification

Super Moderator

UK
    However, the actual quote doesn't specifically rule out a PC version ever happening. It suggests to me, much more, than right now it's only gonna be 360, but next year they'll announce one for the PC market. Considering it's Microsoft being all this it'd be daft not to - but likewise, it's daft that they've made it 360 exclusive ... why? How odd.

I wonder how much the limited edition version will end up getting jacked-up in price to, just so I can see how much I'll 'win' by having pre-ordered it at the same price as the normal game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its gonna be on the pc next year, and it will be a buggy port that doesn't deliver. nostrodanus has spoken i will be proven correct.

My thinking is this: microsoft have had mass effect 2 come and gone, they have 2 big exclusives coming up, alan wake and halo reach. they will pimp.this.shit. Then we get the pc one if its viable, max payne has a cult following. i whent back to it the other day and its aged so, so badly, but it still has that special something y'know? i think its been so long, with so many "oh, now its coming NEXT holiday season"s that we've lost some enthusiasm, like the boy crying wolf, but i think microsoft is still betting on how many of us are sold on that day one. like i said, not many exclusives and i think theres a lot of money in this one.
    Though i am very interested if this will be more popular than heavy rain, both seem very niche, but both are dark thrillers that may be sleeper hits.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I haven't heard a single PC gamer being interested in this game to begin with anyway. So I'm not bummed. PCs and Consoles have gone their own seperate paths, and I dare say I think Console games are for the most part all fluff and no substance.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I haven't heard a single PC gamer being interested in this game to begin with anyway. So I'm not bummed. PCs and Consoles have gone their own seperate paths, and I dare say I think Console games are for the most part all fluff and no substance.
    wasnt the max payne games pretty big with the pc crowd around the turn of the century?, figure the fact that this is there next project would get pc gamers excited.

England
    The thing that got me the most excited about Alan Wake was those early screenshots 3 or 4 years ago, that showed what at the time were some pretty damn good graphics & an open world kind of game with good atmosphere! but since then ive played several huge open world games with jaw dropping graphics so its kind of lost a lot of its appeal now with me.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    However, the actual quote doesn't specifically rule out a PC version ever happening. It suggests to me, much more, than right now it's only gonna be 360, but next year they'll announce one for the PC market. Considering it's Microsoft being all this it'd be daft not to - but likewise, it's daft that they've made it 360 exclusive ... why? How odd.
    From what I understand, the game is so big and intricate that it was pretty much all hands on board just to work on one format. 360 was chosen obviously because it will sell like hot cakes. This is not to say Alan Wake will be a 100 hour experience, but as you can see from the images and videos, the programmers have paid attention to the smallest details. 'Final polishing' has taken over six months!

There will be a PC version in 2011, donchu chicken curry, and it will look shit hot.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My interest in this game has faded since they've been pushing it back for what seems like years. I'll no doubt one day play it, but unless it gets some SERIOUSLY awesome reviews, it's going to be a bargain bin purchase.

I'm so tired of the anticlimactic build up toward this game that it's now taken a back seat to Red Dead Revolver, which is released around the same time. It's a shame too, because at one time I was absolutely psyched about this game. Now it's just like "yeah, whatever".