Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: eating the livestock

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    sorry but had to drag this thread back as GAR has been kind enough to finally answer this question once and for all in Survival, no spoilers from me but the man has spoken...

It's a different "universe" though. Gar's rules don't apply to any films but his own.

As Glenda the good witch of the north said. "You have no power here!!"

But in any case he established the revival rules about 42 years ago. " The bodies of the unburied dead are returning to life and attacking the living."

Doesn't get much clearer than that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    In Night, you do see a zed eat some type of insect that was on a tree. There are no horses or cows shown on screen that I recall, therefore we have no evidence of this one way or the other. But the fact that at least one zed eats a bug gives credence to the idea that they would eat livestock.
    also in the night remake it shows a zed eating a mouse.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I sure do hate to re-open this topic, but I was watching Land and something caught my attention.

In the scene in the bar where Slack is thrown into the zombie fight pit.

Charlie - "Stenches don't fight."
    Roach - "They do when there's food."
    Charlie - "What's on the menu? Cat or Dog?"

This seems pretty darned conclusive that zombies would eat an animal. Even with dozens of people standing visible (but out of reach) on the other side of a chain link fence they'd still eat a cat or dog.
    Maybe he using slang for man (dog) or woman (cat)?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    sorry but had to drag this thread back as GAR has been kind enough to finally answer this question once and for all in Survival, no spoilers from me but the man has spoken...
    I seem to remember that my very first post on this website (in this very topic), was to prove this very fact - glad to know I was right all along!

Go Rancid! Go Rancid! Go Rancid! Hoo-Yeah!

Twitching

United States
    Something I've always wondered about,
    We've all seen the scenes in Land where zombies are standing around doing their imitation of lawn ornaments until humans show up to stimulate them to move, so my question is this.

Let's say a couple zombies drag down an adult human they've cornered at the end of a dead-end alleyway, kill him/her, and feed on him/her until the magic interval elapses and the body-meat is no longer appealing to the two zombies. So the pair wanders off in search of more prey. Shortly thereafter their victim reanimates and stands up, a fresh zombie.

Now, there's no one around and the zombie has never been exposed to/perceived its own reaction to seeing a live human. In such a circumstance, what is it that tells the zombie that the thing that will satisfy their hunger (though I hesitate to call it hunger, because the word implies a provocation to go and seek food, when we know that zombies will stand around for years without moving)...is live human flesh?

Yes, I understand zombies are motivated by instinct, and they act on those instincts. Animals do the same thing. However, isn't some sort of stimulus required to trigger the instinct to begin with?

If I'm not being clear, look at it the other way. Shortly after reanimating, a zombie sees a live human running down the street away from other zombies. That sight/sound/smell stirs something in the zombie that makes it want to join the pursuit in the hopes of catching the human.

In the absence of that first experience, and having reanimated in an area with zero live-human stimulus, how do fresh zombies "know" what they want to do is eat live people, and once having been stimulated, what makes them go in search of live humans to eat when we clearly see in multiple movies hordes of zombies that have gone completely inactive without humans around to chase/feed on?

Is it less what we conceive of as hunger, and more a pre-programmed desire that every zombies possesses from Post-Reanimation Moment 1? Or if it is a traditional sort of hunger we can understand as such, why do they turn into lawn ornaments when not being stimulated by human proximity?

I ask because it doesn't seem like you can have it both ways. Either zombies are perpetually starving for human flesh and do whatever they can to hunt it down and feast on it/us, or its simply a feeding instinct triggered by human proximity, and in the absence of any humans they go all lawn ornament?

Which is it, and why?
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 21-Mar-2010 at 07:02 AM.