Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Survival of the dead reviews thread

United States
    I dunno Dj, I did get some enjoyment out of the film, but overall, nothing really struck a chord with me. I didn't expect a "Pittsburgh-Era" GAR film, but I also didn't expect something this sub-par with Survivial, either.

England
    Thanks for the input guys. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.
    Funny enough I didn't find the cgi distracting except the flaming head.
    What did me was the reliance on zombies just wandering around a corner for the sake of the gag. Over and over and over again. George is repeating himself and he's not doing it very well.
    Like I said, I'm not going to bang on about it. Maybe I'm looking for a reason to watch it again but I can't bring myself to do it. Just wanted to register my disappointment.

Peace
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

England
    Ya know what has been missing for me in the last 3 films? Atmospheric, unique zombie music, you know the type, the bleepy, mechanised, sterile, sombre stuff that was prevalent in Dawn, Day and in Savini's Night remake

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansson View Post
    Ya know what has been missing for me in the last 3 films? Atmospheric, unique zombie music, you know the type, the bleepy, mechanised, sterile, sombre stuff that was prevalent in Dawn, Day and in Savini's Night remake
    True, the zombies look better, but in direct proportion to that the music gets shittier.

well, thats harsh, not shitty. Just dismissible.

United States
    I thought zombies were terrified of fire. That one didn't even mind being half on fire.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    What did me was the reliance on zombies just wandering around a corner for the sake of the gag. Over and over and over again. George is repeating himself and he's not doing it very well.
    This was one of my other beefs with the film, as well as the score (they should've got Dj and I to do it - at least then it would've been evil and very menacing), but I figured I did enough bitching.

United States
    I didn't see the movie as all that menacing really tho. . . it was mostly played for laughs this time. . . And intentionally. . . which is rare for a Romero zed movie.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Being Attacked

England
    Totally agree Clanglee, the absence of this menace and the fact that the zeds are poorly realised in general is very surprising in a GAR flick for me

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I didn't see the movie as all that menacing really tho. . . it was mostly played for laughs this time. . . And intentionally. . . which is rare for a Romero zed movie.
    I actually dig that. As I've said before, the poor CGI physical effects were an annoyance but the other gags worked quite well imo. The film was a bit more light hearted than any in the past and that worked with me. It didn't work amazingly well, but it worked on a level that kept me interested. I also really liked the old society/western feel.

Survival is kind of like Romero's answer to Shaun. He's always been saying he wanted to make a comedy and this was his chance to try it out a bit. Whether or not it worked is a matter of opinion...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Ah Survival of the dead.

I know these are just nit picking things, but for me at least they really took the feel out of it. Imagine if in 28 weeks later they had been wearing olive drab. flying huey's and shooting m14's at the runners.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:28WL_M213.jpg

Just bustin' your balls chief..
    Last edited by childofgilead; 23-Mar-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I actually dig that. As I've said before, the poor CGI physical effects were an annoyance but the other gags worked quite well imo. The film was a bit more light hearted than any in the past and that worked with me. It didn't work amazingly well, but it worked on a level that kept me interested. I also really liked the old society/western feel.

Survival is kind of like Romero's answer to Shaun. He's always been saying he wanted to make a comedy and this was his chance to try it out a bit. Whether or not it worked is a matter of opinion...
    agreed!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    True, the zombies look better, but in direct proportion to that the music gets shittier.

well, thats harsh, not shitty. Just dismissible.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    This was one of my other beefs with the film, as well as the score (they should've got Dj and I to do it - at least then it would've been evil and very menacing), but I figured I did enough bitching.

Well when Romero does another zombie film he can hire us on the cheap. Between Lou and I our score would be so evil I think he would reject it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    agreed!!
    Second that "agreed" to Bassman.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Between Lou and I our score would be so evil I think he would reject it.
    This.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Interesting you bring up the zombie riding a horse - I wasn't at all bothered by it.

There didn't seem to be much "riding" going on, not in my eyes anyway, just seemed like a zombie clinging on in a robotic fashion ... "riding" the horse as much as the zombie mailman was "delivering" mail, if you know what I mean.

In fact, I really liked the idea about this zombie - previously a horse lover - just riding around and around the island without any purpose. All the little 'bits' the zombies performed throughout the film I found to be fascinating and enjoyable.
    Ever try riding a horse at speed?

Something that lacks the basic co-ordination to even walk correctly couldn't do it.

It was ridiculous and wholly un-necessary.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....