Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Doom is still the best FPS ever:

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    This needed to be in here:

Canada
    If there is any song that makes you want to punch satans balls in that is the one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    If there is any song that makes you want to punch satans balls in that is the one.
    That or we will rock you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    For anyone who's got the old Wad files (doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad or plutonia.wad) I recommend trying out a source port.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Source_port

zDoom is the most popular. It adds some cool new features. I play using zDoom, Doom Legacy and sometimes Doomsday. With Doomsday you can download high resolution textures and even 3D models for the sprites. Looks kinda crappy, but hey, there are the times when I'm in the mood for that too.

England
    I enjoyed Doom 3 on my first playthrough but ive never actually finished it! normally I get as far as hell & lose interest, not because its crappy but ive been doing the same thing for so long up to that point I always fancy playing something else & then leave it.
    Anyway I loved the first Doom game, I remember drooling over screenshots of it in games mags back in '94 but there was no way I could have had a PC then, I was 12 & they were hugely expensive! but a friend got a 32X for xmas (that mushroom thing that plugged into the megadrive) & Doom was its flagship game, so I spent hours hammering away at it round his house before I got an Atari jaguar the following xmas & played it obsessively on there. A couple of years later when I got a PS1 I bought Doom for that as it came with Doom 2 as well, and again spent a lot of time obsessively playing it! I must have spent half my teenage years on that game! I loved how it was dark, dank, gory, realistic (seemed it at the time) & had a genuine atmosphere which I'd not felt in any game before that point. It also had the humble beginnings of the intelligent AI we see in todays games, I remember being quite creeped out by the fact if you ran away from an enemy they followed you & it was always great when one of them got caught in the crossfire & turned on another enemy!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I enjoyed Doom 3 on my first playthrough but ive never actually finished it! normally I get as far as hell & lose interest, not because its crappy but ive been doing the same thing for so long up to that point I always fancy playing something else & then leave it.
    That's my beef with Doom 3. After the first level (which was awesome) the rest is just level after level of the same ol same ol. Level. After. Level.

I also got really cheesed about the way they just had bad guys popping out of whatever, wherever. No amount of care and observation could save you in Doom 3. There were just spots where you were gonna get raped by guys jumping out of the ceiling, or coming from a room you just cleared. I got to the point where I had a formula - run into a room, see where the guys magically spawn, die, rerun it prepared.

The game was scary - no argument there. I was jumpy playing it. But it wasn't an honorable kind of scared. I felt like the devs just plain abused their powers in the level making. They concocted scenarios to spring traps on the player.

Compare to a game like Return to Wolfenstein. Each level was unique and had purpose. Then enter the zombies partway through, and watch the Germans fighting the zombies as you try to wade through both of them. That's what Doom 3 coulda done, but didn't.

Oh, and who in their right mind cannot hold a gun AND a flashlight. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    ...it was always great when one of them got caught in the crossfire & turned on another enemy!
    Doom II excelled in the enemy vs. enemy dynamic more than any game ever!! I still remember the "Downtown" map. My buddy and I spent hours on that one map figuring all the ways to get the baddies to cap each other. Getting the bad guys to fight was a goal of every level of Doom II. Run through a room, get the guys to accidentally attack each other, run out, wait... then see what was left. Ah, good times!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

United States
    I thought this was interesting and really underscores the importance of Doom to the genre:

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    In follow up to chat about alternate versions/mods/whatever of Doom, I've played "Classic Doom 3", which of course, used the Doom 3 engine to recreate the entire first game.

I remember playing it and having a nostalgia fest ... but with a new look ... and added nausea, as fuck me you moved so fast that it wigged me out. I bashed through it the one time and then went back to Doom 3 proper so I could walk around the place, rather than fly through corridors like a nitro-powered-pinball.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In follow up to chat about alternate versions/mods/whatever of Doom, I've played "Classic Doom 3", which of course, used the Doom 3 engine to recreate the entire first game.

I remember playing it and having a nostalgia fest ... but with a new look ... and added nausea, as fuck me you moved so fast that it wigged me out. I bashed through it the one time and then went back to Doom 3 proper so I could walk around the place, rather than fly through corridors like a nitro-powered-pinball.
    I remember hearing about that mod somewhere but I forgot about it, downloading now!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Monster infighting is bad ass. On Map 20 of Doom 2 you can get a Cyberdemon to fight a Spider-Mastermind. That was hella cool when I was younger. I always betted on the Cyberdemon. He wins 4/5 times too, despite the Mastermind being the "Final" boss of Doom 1.

Here's another great track from Final Doom:

Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Apr-2010 at 10:21 PM.

United States
    i've got doom on my XBLA games, but haven't got around to beating it yet. this thread is tempting me to finally get it done.

ViP

United States
    Never played Doom but watched my uncle play it a good clip back in the day.

I don't think a first person shooter thread is complete without mentioning Goldeneye 007 for the N64, a game that desperately needs to be made available for download on the Virtual Console for Wii. It is the first FPS to ever hook me, and FFS, looking back at the graphics, even in 2004, they looked so GD weak. And imagine, using radar the whole time, what a waste.

I must say that the FPS that grabbed hold of me the most was Soldier of Fortune vol. 1 and 2. I left them back there in the past, but man I had some good times on those two.

The last FPS I ever effed with was Land of the Dead, the mods mind you. Shit game, A+ mods.

United States
    I've never been a huge fan of FPshooters period. They make me all nervous.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I don't think a first person shooter thread is complete without mentioning Goldeneye 007 for the N64, a game that desperately needs to be made available for download on the Virtual Console for Wii. It is the first FPS to ever hook me, and FFS, looking back at the graphics, even in 2004, they looked so GD weak. And imagine, using radar the whole time, what a waste.
    YES! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I probably enjoyed that game more than doom, actually. There's no telling how many hundreds of hours I stayed up with friends playing that game until the wee hours of the morning.

That being said, you're correct that the graphics for that game have not aged well. My brother in law and I played it recently for kicks and it wasn't pretty.

And how was that the last good Bond game?!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i've got doom on my XBLA games, but haven't got around to beating it yet. this thread is tempting me to finally get it done.
    I think it costs something like 400 points too, so there's really no excuse for not owning it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"