Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPotD member makes UK papers?

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I saw it.

Wow...
    C'mon Kraken, it rendered you speechless? You're an articulate guy, so give us the rundown.
    Watching the trailer makes me think it's just a one trick pony, stunningly bad effects, and the rest being a snoozefest. (but I hope I'm wrong)
    Last edited by major jay; 16-Apr-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    A member made that aweful movie?
    **walks away... pulls plug out of HPotD server**

I've seen some of the film now... The acting and dialog is utterly aweful beyond belief!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    C'mon Kraken, it rendered you speechless? You're an articulate guy, so give us the rundown.
    Watching the trailer makes me think it's just a one trick pony, stunningly bad effects, and the rest being a snoozefest. (but I hope I'm wrong)
    I'll give it this, it is DAMN entertaining, just not in the way the director originally intended.

The movie is beyond amateurish - the editing and sound recording/design are particularly awful, actually worse than the effects: for example, a character asks a question then stands looking awkwardly at the other individual for an unneccesarily extended period of time, there is a pop on the soundtrack and then background noise goes silent (because there is no separate "environmental audio" recording, only the noise picked up while recording dialogue using the camera's built-in mic), then the shot cuts to the other speaker, who says their piece and stops, we hold on them standing, staring in silence, for about ten seconds then suddenly jump to the next scene. The acting is also horrendously wooden and the dialogue is embarrassingly awkward (on the first date, the couple spend about five minutes of screen time discussing the guy's stock options). There is also, literally, no logic or motivation behind almost anything the characters do, or even any real sense of narrative purpose; even before the birds attack, they just seem to spend most of their time wandering from one incident/scene to another, and the remaining time is mostly spent telling each other at length about the events that have just happened to them, which the audience have already witnessed. Hell, we even get to see the lead character's entire drive to and from work, including an extended stop off at a filling station, during which nothing of note happens.

Now, if you think this sounds boring, you'd be wrong. The whole movie is positively hypnotic. Honestly, I literally could not take my eyes off it. It was like my brain refused to accept it was not intentionally bad; in fact, part of me still wonders if the movie's awfulness is not, in itself, a clever marketing ploy that was planned from the start. I know I'm probably mad, but some of the terrible set-pieces just seem too deliberately constructed, the lack of perspective (both visual and mental) just a little too finely-tuned, and the hilarious dialogue misfires just too perfectly timed and executed to wring the maximum of hilarity from every exchange. It's just too perfect. I reckon Nguyen is either incredibly naive or incredibly crafty.

Either way, hats off to the man. There is clearly a lot of his personality in this film - there are a bunch of ideas and opinions and characters that are clearly just lifted clean out of his head and piled slapdash into the camera. It's very messy and terribly executed, but coming away from the movie you feel like you have had a kind of insight into someone else's mind (if only by accudent). And it's kind of sweet.

I will say this: I genuinely laughed and I genuinely cried (granted, the latter was a result of doing too much of the former), and it's not often a movie hits me as hard as that. Forget all those cheapskate, piss-poor zombie knockoffs and bottom-feeding professional mockbusters that duck it out on the IMDB bottom 100: this movie is like nothing you've ever seen before, it's going to become very well known and entertain a lot of people and make Nguyen a crapload of money. And as shitty as the movie is by almost every technical and artistic standard, I think if a movie brings entertainment to people and some measure of success to its creator, then it's not truly a failure.

I say good luck to him.

P.S. In short, just imagine Duck Hunt: The Movie made by enthusiastic ten-year-olds.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Apr-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    You see, this sort of thing pisses me off.

There's countless people out there trying real hard to make good films ... meanwhile this guy makes garbage and he's rewarded for it.

If the garbage is intended, then shame on him for deliberately making trash. If it's not intended then shame on everything for rewarding garbage.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Meh. Whatevers funny is fine with me. I love unintentionally bad films. But I can't stand crappy sound recording...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You see, this sort of thing pisses me off.

There's countless people out there trying real hard to make good films ... meanwhile this guy makes garbage and he's rewarded for it.

If the garbage is intended, then shame on him for deliberately making trash. If it's not intended then shame on everything for rewarding garbage.
    I know what you're saying but, hey, life's a bitch sometimes. I'm trying to get a "good" film off the ground too, but I have no feeling of sour grapes for this guy. He's obviously passionate about what he does, and there's at least a 50/50 shot he was TRYING to make a decent movie (watching some interviews now, he does seem VERY sincere).

There are a lot of people trying to make good art, but they don't always succeed in making something that has mass entertainment appeal, or they create something that is technically very good and ticks all the boxes but doesn't really have anything uniquely its own to make it stand out from the competition. I am something of a trash connoisseur, and yet this movie is like nothing I have ever seen before.

If you imagine filmmakers as guys all lined up at a driving range, trying to hit a hole in one, Nguyen took his shot while facing in the wrong direction, the ball smashed a window at the clubhouse, fell down a plughole, was washed out to sea, eaten by a fish, which was eaten by a bird, which then flew back over the golf course and shat the ball back out into the hole.

If it was created to be purposefully bad and entertaining, then it is more successful in its aims than almost any movie ever made; if it was an accident, it was one of the most superlatively entertaining cinematic accidents in history. Either way, the movie deserves to be seem, IMO.

Good filmmakers shouldn't feel threatened or jealous - if anything, film students should be shown this movie on their first day at film school - in every shot and every frame, there are about ten example of what NOT to do when making a movie. Watch and learn, haha.

Canada
    You just need to make a new film.

Something about drop kicking children into combines should get you pretty infamous.

You can even dress it up a little bit, like, make it so that the children aren't likable at all...make them from Texas or something.

No one likes Texas.

Just make sure to dress them atrociously, and try to get across how backwards and useless they are. Give them mullets, and dress them in capes and rainbow socks if need be. Sort of like Spartans, but sweaty and hairy.

They could be zombies as well I guess...fighting zombie children from Texas that wear rainbow socks and capes, and have mullets.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    You just need to make a new film.

Something about drop kicking children into combines should get you pretty infamous.

You can even dress it up a little bit, like, make it so that the children aren't likable at all...make them from Texas or something.

No one likes Texas.

Just make sure to dress them atrociously, and try to get across how backwards and useless they are. Give them mullets, and dress them in capes and rainbow socks if need be. Sort of like Spartans, but sweaty and hairy.

They could be zombies as well I guess...fighting zombie children from Texas that wear rainbow socks and capes, and have mullets.
    Here's my video response to the above post. Replace the Iron Sheik, Randy Savage, and Miss Elizabeth with me, Mo, and Hellsing. Replace Jew with Canadian. bitch

*note: do not watch this at school or work"

Last edited by slickwilly13; 17-Apr-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    If you imagine filmmakers as guys all lined up at a driving range, trying to hit a hole in one, Nguyen took his shot while facing in the wrong direction, the ball smashed a window at the clubhouse, fell down a plughole, was washed out to sea, eaten by a fish, which was eaten by a bird, which then flew back over the golf course and shat the ball back out into the hole.

I hope the movie is as funny as that review. Thanks for that. It sounds entertaining in a schizophrenic sort of way.