Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: United Nations to pressure the US to ban private ownership of guns

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't want citizens being legally allowed to own guns - can you imagine a chav with a gun, or the average British moron with a gun? - but I do fully support the police having guns (yes some coppers are bloody thick, but they're trained) as they're going up against armed robbers with sticks ... which in a sense, means our British coppers are harder than their American coppers!

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    which in a sense, means our British coppers are harder than their American coppers!

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!
    But are Brit cops as useless? As obnoxious? As frustatingly stupid and condesending?
    We win !
    USA USA USA!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i would file this one safely under the catagory of never. the citizens of the US are armed to the teeth and any attempt to take away guns would be met by an open, armed insurrection of epic proportions.

i own guns, have 3 of them in fact and while i don't really like guns very much (haven't even taken mine out in years) there is no way i would give them up without killing a few folks in the process. i am as serious as a rip in a spacesuit about this, all joking is definitely aside. i would feel like i had done absolutely nothing wrong in that scenario either.

the idea of only govts possessing guns frightens me to my core. in that scenario the people would have absolutely no way of defending themselves from a govt. gone out of control. i have no faith in govts all, matter of fact. i trust the US govt. about as much as i trust a squirrel in a room full of acorns. there is no plausible arguement under the sun or moon that people would be "safer" with the govt. owning guns.

guns banned in africa? have the people trying to get this done ever been to africa or even seen it on the news. i have. there are areas of africa where 14 year old are carrying around assault weapons bigger than they are. i would love to see someone try and "take them away."

this whole idea/concept is laughably ridiculous, childish and is born of people with way too much education and way too little experience of the way the world really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    The guest also said that this will be pushed at the UN sometime in the next few weeks. He went on to say that in one instance (some legaleese I dont remember) that it would take a 2/3 vote of congress to pass, and in another instance, it would only take a simple majority, which is how NAFTA got passed.
    no this would require an amendment to the constitution. which requires a 2/3 vote in BOTH houses of congress and then 36 of the 50 states have to go along with it.

article V of the US constitution:
    the congress, whenever 2/3 of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of 2/3 of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of 3/4 of the several states or by conventions in 3/4 thereof...
    Last edited by Mike70; 30-Jun-2006 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70
    i am as serious as a rip in a spacesuit

great quote, better arguement.

Undisclosed

It has already begun...

The 2nd amendment states...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

that last part shall not be infringed has already been trampled upon.

Waiting lists, applications, taxes these all all infringements of the right to keep and bear arms.

Im not saying for a second that I dont agree with those things, nor am I saying I do, I am just saying laws were made that infringed upon ones rights to keep and bear arms without proper amendments to the constitution being made.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    I just saw this on the Tucker Carlson show on msnbc. The guest said that the UN is pressuring the countries of the world to ban its citizens from owning guns, and that only "governments" should have guns. <Snippage> It is a horrible imo and I hope that our Congress never succumbs to such pressure.
    http://www.nra.org/.... join and support them, they're fighting the good fight for our Second Amendment rights.

M_

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    great quote, better arguement.

do we have another babylon 5 fan in the house?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    I wouldn't want citizens being legally allowed to own guns - can you imagine a chav with a gun, or the average British moron with a gun?
    No need to imagine, it used to be the norm. Read a Sherlock Holmes story - back in the late 1800s - early 1900s no one thought anything was odd about a man carrying a revolver in his pocket, or at least having one in his home. And, amazingly, everyone didn't go around shooting each other.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Super Moderator

UK
    Back then they didn't really have the guns suited to doing a "carriage-by", *chuckles*, nor the climate I'd imagine. Guns and ammo would have probably been too expensive for quite a chunk of people and indeed things have changed a buttload since them thar days.

And if it ain't Chuck Palahniuk, I don't read it, ha!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

glad we have come back to this discussion...

ohio has moved in the opposite direction from gun control. so has kentucky. if you are a citizen of ohio (without a felony conviction of course) you can quite easily obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun on your person. same goes for kentucky. that is why you see signs up in restaurants, hospitals and malls in ohio that say "no firearms allowed." you have to leave your shooting irons outside.

one of things that sealed the deal on this law passing was the spate of atm kidnapping/robberies/murders/attempted murders in cincinnati. a good, good friend of mine was damn near murdered by two scumbags that grabbed him after he used an atm, threw him in a van, robbed him; then told him they were going to drop him off - they did, then they proceeded to shoot him in the neck, damn near killing him. luckily for him they dropped him off in the parking lot of his church. he was able to make it inside where the minister was able to get the bleeding under control and call the fuzz/paramedics.

well a few days after jason was shot these idiots tried this on a dude packing a 9mm and they both got blown away - old west style. now it's legal to carry a concealed handgun in ohio.

United States
    Thats the problem in NY. Everu criminal knows that you DON'T have a gun. Basically, if your not a meathead thug, the chances of you packing are almost zero. Thats why, maybe, Beranrd Ghetz was such a big thing. That and he shot like 5 guys.

Administrator

England
    I just saw this on the Tucker Carlson show on msnbc. The guest said that the UN is pressuring the countries of the world to ban its citizens from owning guns, and that only "governments" should have guns. He said they have already pressured most of Africa and South America to comply, under the guise of "its safer for its citizens". Does Africa seem like a safe place to you? What do you guys think of this idea? It is a horrible imo and I hope that our Congress never succumbs to such pressure.
    If it works in South Africa then that will be amazing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm not surprised Africa, and especially South Africa, is swamped with guns. It's got to be one of the most unsafe places on the planet. Hardly surprising when the government is run by a bunch of people who - when ANYTHING goes wrong - blame racism and white people ... kind of like how Labour blame EVERYTHING on the Conservatives...

South Africa also has the highest car jacking rate (in the world I think), so there'll be a shedload of guns involved there then. I have family living out there and my Mum was out there for 11 years back in the 70s, when it wasn't that bad. But I've been told stories of how a friend of the family parked their Mercedes outside the house and it was stripped in a matter of minutes without them knowing - they got a new Mercedes - it was stripped AGAIN in a similar manner.

And if everyone over there got as p*ssed off about the heat as I do here - and here it's nowhere near as hot - then no wonder guns are a bad idea.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70
    do we have another babylon 5 fan in the house?
    Guilty.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i've to admit that i am impressed that you could pick that one line out from a relatively obscure episode - "by any means necessary",the one where the dockworkers are on strike.
    there now i've revealed just how high my geek quotient is.

your geek quotient must also be high - i salute you.
    Last edited by Mike70; 03-Jul-2006 at 05:45 PM.