Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

Twitching

United States
    Xenoform = What the Aliens in Sigourney Weaver's Aliens are called the first and only time they call the Aliens anything besides Aliens (during Ripley's debriefing by The Company when they basically mock and disbelieve her story)

In general parlance, it's the term that's stuck to those Aliens in the Aliens-based novels and comics.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm fucking with you, dude. It's XenoMORPH.

And the gun sequence you mentioned....that will probably never be in a TV broadcast. It was never released theatrically. It's from James Cameron's Extended Cut. Same with Newt's family discovering the spaceship and "Ripley's Daughter" sequence.
    Last edited by bassman; 30-May-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Twitching

United States
    Huh,
    Didn't know that. Just thought it was part of the movie regularly, that got edited for time on TV. It was in the Drive-In's version when I first saw it as a kid...come to think, only seen it once since, and that was on DVD. The gun-drone sequence I mean.

It's a shame, the other scenes were interesting (the discovery of the Egg-loaded Alien ship seen before it shifts to the Sigourney-asleep-in-stasis and being discovered by the salvage team scene was in there too), but they don't dramatically impact the feel of the movie for me the way the gun-drone scene's absence does.

How about you?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Have you tried letting him watch "Apocalypse Now" yet? (just the original cut mind, I cant imagine any kid having the patience to sit through redux or even longer cuts, that comes when you get older)
    My dad let me watch it when I was probably around 10/11 years old & I really liked it, although there was a fair bit of the dialogue that I didnt understand at that age, I just loved the chopper scene
    Every kid should see "The Lost Boys" as well
    Lost Boys? Check. He's seen that one, loves it.

Apocalypse Now? I don't know if he's ready for that. It's not that the content is too much, it's just that... I don't think he'll understand half of what's going on in that movie.

"If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole fucking place!"

I think Predator is going to be next in line. He's at the beach this week (just "graduated" from 8th grade and his mom took him there to celebrate. I couldn't get time off from my new job yet to go with them. ) but when he comes back, Predator it is. He'll get a kick out of that flick.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    just "graduated" from 8th grade...
    I don't mean to derail the thread here, but do they give a "graduation" to every grade level now?? My little nephew just the other day showed me pictures of his 1st Grade Graduation. He had the cap and gown and everything. WTF? When I went to school and completed the year they were just like "Go home. See ya in a few months"...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't mean to derail the thread here, but do they give a "graduation" to every grade level now?? My little nephew just the other day showed me pictures of his 1st Grade Graduation. He had the cap and gown and everything. WTF? When I went to school and completed the year they were just like "Go home. See ya in a few months"...
    Depends on where you go to school. Lou's son is in Private School so they are more celebratory about these things, but when I was in middle school and graduated to high school and I went to public school they had a little ceremony, no cap and gown, but they did something.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Well, here's the deal.. he was in private school from K 'till 8th grade. I guess, since his private school stops at 8th grade, they do a graduation ceremony for them as their "big send-off" to high school. They had the whole cap & gown thing too.

I pointed this out to my wife, too - i said "I only got onegraduation ceremony and it was for graduating HIGH SCHOOL!" so I don't get it either. *shrugs*

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, here's the deal.. he was in private school from K 'till 8th grade. I guess, since his private school stops at 8th grade, they do a graduation ceremony for them as their "big send-off" to high school. They had the whole cap & gown thing too.
    My parochial school misadventures that ended in 8th grade were also capped off by a sort of 'graduation ceremony', though I just wore corduroys, dress shirt, v-neck sweater and a clip-on tie. Of course, that was like...over 20 years ago. So who knows what's going on in schools nowadays.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Well, perhaps I'll have to give him a graduation ceremony (cap & gown included) once I've exposed him to all these classic flicks.

United States
    My niece just had a graduation from pre-school. Our education system is getting silly.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Well, perhaps I'll have to give him a graduation ceremony (cap & gown included) once I've exposed him to all these classic flicks.
    He ain't getting shit until he sees a Fulci film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    He ain't getting shit until he sees a Fulci film.
    The only thing he'll get from that is a headache!

j/k.. soon enough.. have to ease him into something like that.

Scotland
    hmm... i would have to agree with the dating of horror films. NOES was scary ass shit back then because with the availability of special effects wasnt much in the 80's. but NOES pulled off a horror flick perfectly. and since then, directors really try to pull off all the stops to be the best horror movie director. they use the latest of stuff as soon as it comes out. and there are alot of horro movie buffs out there so as soon as the movie comes out, they are the first to watch it and they are the first to be amazed.

i think at this day and age, your son has seen alot of scary movies, movies that are even scarier than NOES now. and well... yeah im backing up your last statement that dated movies should stay in that date. NOES is scary to a small handful of people, (mostly comedy and rom com fans. lol.) but there are alot of scarier ones now.

Super Moderator

UK
    The only thing he'll get from that is a headache!

j/k.. soon enough.. have to ease him into something like that.
    I take it he won't be seeing The New York Ripper for a while ... what with pussies getting toe-fucked and fannies getting stabbed with broken bottles and heads exploding and people fucking on stage etc?

Get him to Zombi 2 and The Beyond.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I take it he won't be seeing The New York Ripper for a while ... what with pussies getting toe-fucked and fannies getting stabbed with broken bottles and heads exploding and people fucking on stage etc?
    Yeah, ummmm, lemme think about that for a minute.. NO!

I don't know if he could handle a fulci movie at this point. I have a copy of Predator sitting at home waiting for him to watch, but we just haven't had the time to sit down together and check it out. Soon, though... and I will post his comments afterwards.

United Kingdom
    I sat down with my lad last weekend (he's 10 in 3 weeks) and watched Savini's remake of Night with him. He enjoyed it, said the zombies looked cool, but he wasn't terribly scared by it. Yesterday we watched Jaws, and he was way more scared, he jumped out of his skin a couple of times. He's asked me if we can watch Dawn next (the original), but if the remake of Night didn't scare him, what do you think he'll make of Dawn? Do you think Day would be a bit much for a 10 year old?
    Kill 'em All