Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Crazies (2010) a Review by DjfunkmasterG

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I agree to some extent with the "EPIC" feel not being as EPIC as I wanted it to be - it ends up becoming a '3 people walking' movie at one point, but equally there are times when it does feel really epic ... so ultimately I thought that the remake did some things better and some things worse than the original, but I came down on the side of digging the flick (after groaning at the trailers for months beforehand).
    ^this pretty much. We see a town apparnetly go to seed but only get about half a dozen crazies and a few scenes of destruction peppered around 3 folks doing a fellowship of the ring and walking through the countryside.
    i assume it was a budget thing, but after the town carnage in 30 days of night this fell completely flat on the whole build up of "population: XXXX" and the general idea of these few thousand or few hundred people going fucking snooker loopy all at once.
    They didnt even have dead bodies just lying in the scenes for emphasis. It was all empty set pieces with no soul or character.

Still dug it, kinda good, kinda bad but yeah. Never really came across as something more than 3 people walk through places where it looks like bad stuff happened. but it doesnt LOOK like bad stuff actually happened.

-For the record i would have added a huge twist at the end had i done this with the only crazies being the protagonists and until a reveal at the end everything we saw was warped by there delusions. Its the old "im not crazy! im the only one thats NOT crazy!?!" schtik but i think it really would've worked in this movie to explain the lack of mass chaos.
    Last edited by Danny; 19-May-2010 at 10:09 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Finally got around to seeing this thing.

Not bad, not bad at all. There are several things that rubbed me the wrong way(overuse of jump scares, predictable in places, velociraptors, etc), but overall it's a pretty damn good flick. Definitely one of the better Romero remakes. Probably between Night90 and Dawn04.

Anybody check out the BR/DVD yet? It's not a bad purchase. An informative commentary, your basic making-of, effects, etc. There's also a short doc on Romero's influence in the business. Oddly they talk more about his dead films rather than the crazies. There's not even any shots from the original film. They pulled it all from Night. And it's also weird that Don Coserelli(Bubba Ho Tep) is one of the main people speaking....

Overall....I agree with what's been said before. It has it's problems, but it's a fun ride. I would say it's worth a purchase if you find a good deal on it.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I got the BR I did a review of it on my podcast which I will upload tonight. I gave it a 7 out of 10
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Not bad, not bad at all. Definitely one of the better Romero remakes. Probably between Night90 and Dawn04.

So let me get this straight.

You have dawn 04' at the high end of the spectrum and this comes in under that, yet you say it wasn't bad at all.

Following that line of logic dawn has to be better than not bad at all right?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, no....Dawn04 would be the third best. Night, Crazies, Dawn. The rest dont deserve to be ranked, really. So it's kind of a lack of options.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    No, no....Dawn04 would be the third best. Night, Crazies, Dawn. The rest dont deserve to be ranked, really. So it's kind of a lack of options.
    Just giving you the opportunity to clarify your positions.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"